Search Patterns by Morville & Callender

  • Matt Moore
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2011
      Hello,

      Has anyone read this book? http://searchpatterns.org/

      If so, what was your take on it?

      I thought the introductory framework around the search experience was very
      useful.
      The patterns section is good but a bit messy.
      The final scenarios are interesting (and the satire on Berners-Lee's semantic
      web is quite funny).

      It's an interesting resource for tackling search-related issues but it doesn't
      tell you how to,say, implement enterprise search.

      Over to you?

      Matt
    • Walter Underwood
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2011
        It is complementary to Marti Hearst's book: http://searchuserinterfaces.com/

        Marti's book approaches the UI from the research foundations up, Peter's book from the screen down. Peter's book is better for people who are strongly visually-oriented, but I think it is best to have both books. There is very little published on the subject, so those two books are a pretty complete library.

        wunder

        --
        Walter Underwood
        Venture ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto

      • Matt Moore
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2011
          Thanks Walter.

          I have had some mixed responses off-list about the Morville book. I think a total search head would find it woefully shallow. But for those working in information management, IA or web design; I think it presents some common issues in a very accessible way.

          I also like the effort put into producing a visually appealing book.

          I will browse the Hearst book online when I get a moment...