Introduction

  • Bob Bater
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm a long-term TaxoCop member interested in the 'other side' of taxonomy, i.e. search and browse. I like to use the term 'search and browse' because I think that that's what people actually do when they are trying to 'find'. Marcia Bates described it quite some time ago. Arguably, browsing is a form of searching, but we tend to use 'search' nowadays in a somewhat restricted sense, rather meaning 'keyword searching'. Anyway, let's not get into that one just now!

      I am an independent consultant based in the UK and describe InfoPlex's services simply as 'advisory and development services in knowledge and information organization'. Obviously, there's no point in organizing knowledge and information unless you're trying to help people find what they want when they want it. (Actually, that's not true; lots of people organize knowledge because it's intellectually stimulating. I'm not one of them. I do find it stimulating, but I do what I do it for very practical reasons.)

      I am also Vice-Chair of the UK chapter of the International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO UK). I think we in the KO field need to know more about how our efforts (presumably!) translate into an improved search experience and results. That's why I'll be lurking here, and maybe posting a few thoughts from time to time. And I'll be getting some of my colleagues to do the same. Let's hope SearchCop can achieve the same degree of success as TaxoCop.

      Bob Bater
      Vice-chair, ISKO UK
      Principal Associate
      InfoPlex Associates, UK