Re: [SearchCoP] Acceptable % of no results searches?

  • Chirag Gandhi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2010
      Dear Mary Jo,

      We have started advising clients not to get too hung up about how many 0 results appear, but rather take a more qualitative approach and assess if these searches are really something which they would like to respond to. At the end of the day it is a value engineering decision.

      We present this data as a long-tail and suggest that the client really focus on the top 20% of graph. One caveat is that the data needs to be normalized. We had one particularly difficult case because of a strange product name which was leading to many variations - you need to make sure that these variations are normalized.

      regards
      Chirag

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2010
        Hi Mary Jo - I think Chirag has it right - that it shouldn't be too
        much of a focus.

        I can share that in several different intranet search engines I've
        worked with the % of searches returning zero results hovered
        consistently in the range of 5% to 8% of searches. This range has not
        concerned me.

        I've also dug into the details of the searches in these situations and
        found that they are almost always well into the "long tail" - the most
        common terms are rarely used more than once or twice (in a set of tens
        of thousands of distinct terms). When looking at the most common
        among these (as common as they get, anyway), they tend to include
        misspellings which commonly I find trigger the spelling correction of
        the search engine, which offers the "did you mean X?" link. In other
        words, the most common zero returns are easily corrected by the
        searcher.

        Another factor to consider is to make sure you understand the full
        context of the user's search. If your engine supports context
        sensitive search ("search within this category or space") or faceted
        search, just the search terms by themselves returning zero results
        doesn't mean anything, so you need to have a way to keep track of the
        other factors used for each search.

        I would also agree with Chirag that it's important to try to normalize
        the terms to find patterns, though that is a significant challenge to
        do repeatedly over time, I find.

        Interestingly, I get more feedback in the other direction in terms of
        results - users voice the opinion that they get too much back from
        their searches. I don't see large result sets to be an issue in and
        of themselves if the relevant stuff is at the top (the fact that there
        are 10,000 results is irrelevant if what the user is looking for is on
        the first page. Of course, relevancy is its own challenge! :)

        I also have gotten feedback along the lines of, "It doesn't matter
        what search terms I use - I always get results even if I use
        completely made up words!" That's not literally true, but I have seen
        some, um, interesting examples of odd terms resulting in search
        results, but this is more a reflection of the very broad corpus of
        content being indexed than anything with the engine (online
        discussions, for example).

        I hope this is useful for you.

        Regards
        Lee