Benchmarks for use of facets in a faceted search experience?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2010
      Does anyone know of any benchmarks (or even anecdotal insight) what a
      "normal" usage of the facets in a search solution is?

      Specifically, in a search solution that provides an entry route
      primarily through a keyword search but then exposes facets for
      refining results on the search results page - about what is a typical
      percentage of use of the facet functionality?

      I have one data point now - one month showed that just over 41% of
      searches used at least one of the available facets. We can measure
      that for larger spans but before bothering spending time, I thought I
      would ask the community here if there's value.

      I'm just wondering if the percentage use we see is typical? Abnormal?
      Should we think it should go up from where it is? Down?

      Any insights appreciated!

      Regards