RE: [SearchCoP] Introduction

  • Seth Earley
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 23, 2007

      Welcome Tony.  Thanks for joining and we’ll look forward to the cross pollination with your other communities.

      Seth

      Seth Earley
      President
      _____________________________

      EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
      Cell: 781-820-8080

      Office: 781-444-0287
      Email: seth@...
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 24, 2007
        Hi All,

        Thanks to Seth and Avi for setting up this community.

        This is Lou Pillai, Strategic Architect for a large company in the NY
        area. Currently I am working on a team deploying enterprise search
        across the whole organization using faceted navigation.

        I would like to share lessons learned, help with best practices on
        enterprise search.

        One question, what are the good practices for security approaches
        related to trimming search results when dealing with thousands of
        native access control lists and diverse collection types?

        regards
        Lou
      • Adamson, Matthew
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 4 11:39 PM
          Well said Bob, nice to see you on this CoP as well and know that there are a few of us UK based subscribers.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 12 12:27 PM
            Hi all - I've been a member of this community since shortly after Seth
            announce it on the TaxoCoP mailing list, and I was glad that he and
            Avi took the initiative to establish this community. Thanks!

            As for me - I work for Novell and have had responsibility for various
            things related to knowledge management, content management, search,
            taxonomy, collaboration, etc., for about 7 years now. I've done most
            of my work specifically with search over the last 4 years or so and
            that has, for the most part, been focused on our intranet search.

            I'm interested in all topics related to search and content, so I am
            looking forward to discussions here.

            Last week, I had the pleasure of attending KM World / Enterprise
            Search Summit / Taxonomy Boot Camp in San Jose, CA, and the added luck
            of having an opportunity to speak at both ESS and the Taxonomy Boot
            Camp - both case studies about our work here at Novell.

            I took a lot of action items for myself during the thought-provoking
            sessions last week and will have a few follow-up posts shortly to this
            community with some questions for you.

            Thanks and looking forward to our discussions going forward.

            Lee Romero
          • Seth Earley
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 12 1:45 PM

              Thanks Lee.  It was great to finally meet you in person.  We’ll look forward to your posts on the sessions.

              For those who could not attend, the conference was terrific.   Ted Sullivan and I did a session on Search as a Platform, I did one on Semantic Search and then attended Mitre’s Mike Nosal presentation on Concept Search.  That was really something.

              Basically they mined Wikipedia for all the term relationships and created a concept map which acts as an ontology for searching related ideas.

              Here is a link to a very dense white paper for those interested in a deep dive.  http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_papers/tech_papers_06/06_1028/06_1028.pdf

              I am trying to get Mike to present on the next Taxonomy CoP call.

              Seth

              Seth Earley
              President
              _____________________________

              EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
              Cell: 781-820-8080

              Office: 781-444-0287
              Email: seth@...

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 14 10:03 AM
                Welcome to the vocal part of the group, Lee!

                I've been trying to figure out how to auto-incorporate metrics for
                some time, with no luck.

                My main successes have been simply adjusting weights of various areas
                after learning about how users search.

                In one case, a big tech company had me look at search logs and we soon
                discovered that their customers were searching by part number and
                finding tech support incident pages which had the part number repeated
                several times, but were not terribly good landing pages. So we added
                weight to the main support and marketing pages, and reduced it for the
                support incident pages, and that seemed to work a lot better.

                Maybe clicktracking and other metrics could help break ties, where you
                have seven results with the same relevance score? Otherwise, I have
                found it to be more of a conceptual thing, rather than anything
                algorithmic.

                Best of luck,

                Avi

                --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Romero" <pekadad@...> wrote:

                > Hi all - I've been a member of this community since shortly after Seth
                > announce it on the TaxoCoP mailing list, and I was glad that he and
                > Avi took the initiative to establish this community. Thanks!
                >
                > As for me - I work for Novell and have had responsibility for various
                > things related to knowledge management, content management, search,
                > taxonomy, collaboration, etc., for about 7 years now. I've done most
                > of my work specifically with search over the last 4 years or so and
                > that has, for the most part, been focused on our intranet search.
                >
                > I'm interested in all topics related to search and content, so I am
                > looking forward to discussions here.
                >
                > Last week, I had the pleasure of attending KM World / Enterprise
                > Search Summit / Taxonomy Boot Camp in San Jose, CA, and the added luck
                > of having an opportunity to speak at both ESS and the Taxonomy Boot
                > Camp - both case studies about our work here at Novell.
                >
                > I took a lot of action items for myself during the thought-provoking
                > sessions last week and will have a few follow-up posts shortly to this
                > community with some questions for you.
                >
                > Thanks and looking forward to our discussions going forward.
                >
                > Lee Romero

              • c_gandhi
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 11, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I just joined this group, so a little introduction about myself. I
                  working for a large software services company as a Sr. Architect.
                  Current interests/specializations are ES and Web 2.0.

                  I am looking forward to collaborating with the members of this group.

                  regards
                  Chirag