Re: [SearchCoP] Search Performance Indicator

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2009
      A community of practice is a place to share knowledge and build skills. This pitch does not share any knowledge and is inappropriate.

      Either explain this magic SPI or don't bring it up again.

      Often, composite measures are "Frankenmetrics" which can't be mapped back to any particular action to improve them. See this article: http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/franken-measuresor-how-construct-useful-composite-/

      The same site, Juice Analytics, also has an excellent post on the characteristics of a good metric:

      * actionable
      * common interpretation
      * accessible, credible data
      * transparent, simple calculation

      http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/choosing-right-metric/

      wunder

      On Oct 13, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Adrian wrote:

      Dear All,

      I have just joined this group, and thought I better introduce myself.

      I'm working with Gerry McGovern & Customer Carewords - I expect many of the intranet professionals on here have heard of Gerry and his task based approach to intranet systems.

      The reason I have become a part of this group is to flag a solution that we are working on for analyzing the performance of intranet search functions, called the Search Performance Indicator.

      The pitch!

      Regular measurement of the search function of your intranet is required because you can't manage what you don't measure.

      The Search Performance Indicator (SPI) offers a unique, proven way to reproducibly measure the quality of your search engine.

      The SPI procedure measures:
      a. The quality of the search engine
      b. The findability of pages
      c. The usability of the search engine's user interface

      The SPI combines these separate measures into one figure which can be used to measure progress in search performance over time, and to compare search performance across websites or intranets.

      We have run this programme for a number of multinationals already, but we want to increase this number so intranet administrators can start to have some meaningful comparison data to compare how their search functions work compared to others.

      We're looking for some organisations who might be interested in participating in the SPI programme, at a preferential rate, while we build the knowledge base.

      If you are interested in having an online demonstration of this project and the sort of results and actionable data that it produces (no obligation!) , then I would be delighted to hear from you on adrian@customercare words.com or by reply.

      Here endth the pitch.

      Adrian Smith
      Customer Carewords