Introduction

  • Tony Rose
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 23, 2007
      Hi all, and thanks to Seth & Avi for setting this up!

      I'm Tony Rose, and I'm vice chair of the BCS Information Retrieval SIG. We run a number of search-related events, publish a quarterly newsletter (Informer), and maintain a sig website (irsg.bcs.org). But the one thing I've always felt we haven't done very well is provide a real community forum - we use various mailing lists and so on but as so often happens they tend to be dominated by conference announcements and suchlike. Hopefully this initiative will address that :)

      The IRSG tends to be fairly UK-based and its roots are largely academic, but that is changing. In fact, my own day job is as a user experience consultant and program manager, currently contracted to Microsoft. I am particularly interested in the space where UX and IR meet, but it still a relatively niche area, and I find the two communities (search & UX) very rarely share a common forum.

      We'll be bringing out a new issue of Informer in the next week or so - I'll be sure to mention Search CoP in the editorial :)

      Best regards,
      Tony

      Tony Rose PhD MBCS CEng
      Vice chair, IRSG
      Editor, Informer
    • Seth Earley
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 23, 2007

        Welcome Tony.  Thanks for joining and we’ll look forward to the cross pollination with your other communities.

        Seth

        Seth Earley
        President
        _____________________________

        EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
        Cell: 781-820-8080

        Office: 781-444-0287
        Email: seth@...
[...]

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- ---

        Tony Rose PhD MBCS CEng

        Vice chair, IRSG

        Editor, Informer

      • velumani+pillai
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 24, 2007
          Hi All,

          Thanks to Seth and Avi for setting up this community.

          This is Lou Pillai, Strategic Architect for a large company in the NY
          area. Currently I am working on a team deploying enterprise search
          across the whole organization using faceted navigation.

          I would like to share lessons learned, help with best practices on
          enterprise search.

          One question, what are the good practices for security approaches
          related to trimming search results when dealing with thousands of
          native access control lists and diverse collection types?

          regards
          Lou
        • Adamson, Matthew
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 4, 2007
            Well said Bob, nice to see you on this CoP as well and know that there are a few of us UK based subscribers.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 12, 2007
              Hi all - I've been a member of this community since shortly after Seth
              announce it on the TaxoCoP mailing list, and I was glad that he and
              Avi took the initiative to establish this community. Thanks!

              As for me - I work for Novell and have had responsibility for various
              things related to knowledge management, content management, search,
              taxonomy, collaboration, etc., for about 7 years now. I've done most
              of my work specifically with search over the last 4 years or so and
              that has, for the most part, been focused on our intranet search.

              I'm interested in all topics related to search and content, so I am
              looking forward to discussions here.

              Last week, I had the pleasure of attending KM World / Enterprise
              Search Summit / Taxonomy Boot Camp in San Jose, CA, and the added luck
              of having an opportunity to speak at both ESS and the Taxonomy Boot
              Camp - both case studies about our work here at Novell.

              I took a lot of action items for myself during the thought-provoking
              sessions last week and will have a few follow-up posts shortly to this
              community with some questions for you.

              Thanks and looking forward to our discussions going forward.

              Lee Romero
            • Seth Earley
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 12, 2007

                Thanks Lee.  It was great to finally meet you in person.  We’ll look forward to your posts on the sessions.

                For those who could not attend, the conference was terrific.   Ted Sullivan and I did a session on Search as a Platform, I did one on Semantic Search and then attended Mitre’s Mike Nosal presentation on Concept Search.  That was really something.

                Basically they mined Wikipedia for all the term relationships and created a concept map which acts as an ontology for searching related ideas.

                Here is a link to a very dense white paper for those interested in a deep dive.  http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_papers/tech_papers_06/06_1028/06_1028.pdf

                I am trying to get Mike to present on the next Taxonomy CoP call.

                Seth

                Seth Earley
                President
                _____________________________

                EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
                Cell: 781-820-8080

                Office: 781-444-0287
                Email: seth@...

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 14, 2007
                  Welcome to the vocal part of the group, Lee!

                  I've been trying to figure out how to auto-incorporate metrics for
                  some time, with no luck.

                  My main successes have been simply adjusting weights of various areas
                  after learning about how users search.

                  In one case, a big tech company had me look at search logs and we soon
                  discovered that their customers were searching by part number and
                  finding tech support incident pages which had the part number repeated
                  several times, but were not terribly good landing pages. So we added
                  weight to the main support and marketing pages, and reduced it for the
                  support incident pages, and that seemed to work a lot better.

                  Maybe clicktracking and other metrics could help break ties, where you
                  have seven results with the same relevance score? Otherwise, I have
                  found it to be more of a conceptual thing, rather than anything
                  algorithmic.

                  Best of luck,

                  Avi

                  --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Romero" <pekadad@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all - I've been a member of this community since shortly after Seth
                  > announce it on the TaxoCoP mailing list, and I was glad that he and
                  > Avi took the initiative to establish this community. Thanks!
                  >
                  > As for me - I work for Novell and have had responsibility for various
                  > things related to knowledge management, content management, search,
                  > taxonomy, collaboration, etc., for about 7 years now. I've done most
                  > of my work specifically with search over the last 4 years or so and
                  > that has, for the most part, been focused on our intranet search.
                  >
                  > I'm interested in all topics related to search and content, so I am
                  > looking forward to discussions here.
                  >
                  > Last week, I had the pleasure of attending KM World / Enterprise
                  > Search Summit / Taxonomy Boot Camp in San Jose, CA, and the added luck
                  > of having an opportunity to speak at both ESS and the Taxonomy Boot
                  > Camp - both case studies about our work here at Novell.
                  >
                  > I took a lot of action items for myself during the thought-provoking
                  > sessions last week and will have a few follow-up posts shortly to this
                  > community with some questions for you.
                  >
                  > Thanks and looking forward to our discussions going forward.
                  >
                  > Lee Romero

                • c_gandhi
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 11, 2008
                    Hi,

                    I just joined this group, so a little introduction about myself. I
                    working for a large software services company as a Sr. Architect.
                    Current interests/specializations are ES and Web 2.0.

                    I am looking forward to collaborating with the members of this group.

                    regards
                    Chirag