Intro / New to the Search Community of Practice

  • brian.schott@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009
      All -

      I just joined the CoP last night and wanted to take a moment to introduct myself. My name is Brian and my core expertise for the last nine years has been on the application of emerging Intranet, portal, enterprise search and content management technologies to solve critical business problems and knowledge management scenarios.

      I am currently working on a SharePoint Intranet implementation and am having all kinds of fun with optimizing the OOTB SharePoint Search Engines and the results that they provide.

      Please feel free to connect with me via my Linkedin profile as I am always looking for faster and easier ways to interface with experts such as yourselves:
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/brianschott

      Thank you.

      Brian
    • searchtools1
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009
        Welcome to the group! We get some flurries of activity, and often meet up at the Enterprise Search Summit <http://enterprisesearchsummit.com>.

        Avi

        --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "brian.schott@..." <brian.schott@...> wrote:

        > All -
        >
        > I just joined the CoP last night and wanted to take a moment to introduct myself. My name is Brian and my core expertise for the last nine years has been on the application of emerging Intranet, portal, enterprise search and content management technologies to solve critical business problems and knowledge management scenarios.
        >
        > I am currently working on a SharePoint Intranet implementation and am having all kinds of fun with optimizing the OOTB SharePoint Search Engines and the results that they provide.
        >
        > Please feel free to connect with me via my Linkedin profile as I am always looking for faster and easier ways to interface with experts such as yourselves:
        > http://www.linkedin.com/in/brianschott
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Brian

      • tbwendt
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009
          Welcome to the group. I see that you are using the MS Search product.

          I would be interested in what people in this group think about Microsoft's Enterprise Search for large scale enterprise search. We are an Autonomy shop and we are under some pressure to look seriously at MS Search (not the FAST product).

          We have a fairly broad search environment that includes indexing hundreds of file shares, hundreds of intranet sites and portals (Plumtree, SAP and many odd-ball web platforms), about 500 SharePoint site collections and thousands of SharePoint sites, a few structured databases, and most of the content is highly authenticated.

          Does anyone have experience with MS Search in such an environment? We certainly have our share of issues with the Autonomy platform. What issues (or advantages) do you guys see with the MS search platform?

          Now that MS has had FAST around for a couple years, how do you see the long-term prospects for MS Enterprise Search product. Will it survive, merge into one product with FAST or will the product fade out?

          Tim W