Request for guidance on search coverage of Intranet content

  • kevinkr
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2009
      Hi all,

      I've been searching for references to studies or industry guidelines on typical coverage of Intranet content by enterprise search. Has anyone heard or read of any benchmarks or related studies?

      Thanks,
      Kevin
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2009
        I'm not really sure but you could purchase a copy of the CMS Watch Enterprise Search report or contact Stephen Arnold (arnoldit.com).

        What specifically do you mean by coverage? Do you mean what percentage of the enterprise is indexed into enterprise search? What content types do you mean? Unstructured and structured?

        Intranet content can mean a lot of things; documents such as Web Pages, MS Office, PDFs, SharePoint, text files, source code, employee data, applications, relational databases, ERP systems, eDiscovery, RIM, email, file shares, DMS, et al.

        I would think a vast majority of companies are doing web pages fairly well. However, I'm sure a good chunk of these companies have departmental solutions. I would further bet that a smaller percentage are completely indexing full blown, enterprise-wide content covering a variety of content types. Even a smaller percentage are employing advanced search technologies like auto-categorization and faceted search. This opinion is just from my ancedotal observations and conversations.

        Tim W

        --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "kevinkr" <kevin.krueger@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I've been searching for references to studies or industry guidelines on typical coverage of Intranet content by enterprise search. Has anyone heard or read of any benchmarks or related studies?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kevin

      • kevinkr
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2009
          Hi Tim,

          Thanks for the reply and suggestions. My idea of coverage is very general and the intent of the question is to find out if there are folks out there reporting on the amount of corporate content they feel are covered by any variety of their search solutions. I am pursuing other sources as well, so thanks again.

          -Kevin

          --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <tbwendt@...> wrote:

          > I'm not really sure but you could purchase a copy of the CMS Watch Enterprise Search report or contact Stephen Arnold (arnoldit.com).
          >
          > What specifically do you mean by coverage? Do you mean what percentage of the enterprise is indexed into enterprise search? What content types do you mean? Unstructured and structured?
          >
          > Intranet content can mean a lot of things; documents such as Web Pages, MS Office, PDFs, SharePoint, text files, source code, employee data, applications, relational databases, ERP systems, eDiscovery, RIM, email, file shares, DMS, et al.
          >
          > I would think a vast majority of companies are doing web pages fairly well. However, I'm sure a good chunk of these companies have departmental solutions. I would further bet that a smaller percentage are completely indexing full blown, enterprise-wide content covering a variety of content types. Even a smaller percentage are employing advanced search technologies like auto-categorization and faceted search. This opinion is just from my ancedotal observations and conversations.
          >
          > Tim W
          >
          > --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "kevinkr" <kevin.krueger@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I've been searching for references to studies or industry guidelines on typical coverage of Intranet content by enterprise search. Has anyone heard or read of any benchmarks or related studies?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Kevin

        • Walter Underwood
          Message 4 of 4 , May 28, 2009
            Re: [SearchCoP] Re: Request for guidance on search coverage of Intranet content This seems like the wrong question.

            “Coverage” implies that we know what should be in the index, but that is different for each enterprise. It also implies a recall-oriented, vacuum cleaner model, which usually does not help the users.

            Instead, think about covering the users queries. If the answers are not in the index, then go get that content.

            One example of why “coverage” is a tricky measure. Lets say that you want the company calendar to be in the index. But the calendar site can generate pages into the infinite future with no events (October 2133). First, it is impossible to index them all, and second, it is useless content.

            How about a wiki? Do you index all the diffs, discussion, and versions of pages? That can be 1000 pages for each surface page.

            Think about the index as a curated collection with a purpose, answering user queries. Then think about how easy it is to manage the contents of the index as a search admin and how easy it is to find out what is and isn’t working.

            wunder