Coveo Top Results and Thesaurus

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2009
      Hi all - A question for anyone who knows Coveo well. I've recently
      started working with a team using Coveo and don't happen to know it
      very deeply.

      We have an implementation of Coveo in which we provide "Top Results"
      (Coveo's best bets functionality) for users. To create a Top Result,
      you specify a URL and then set of search terms; when a user uses one
      of the entered search terms, the given URL will be shown as a Top
      Result. Pretty straightforward.

      We've recently started looking more closely at adding some synonyms to
      search - many to cover synonyms for well-known (within the company)
      acronyms. Within Coveo, you can define a "keyword" and then provide a
      set of synonyms for that keyword. It appears that Coveo really does
      the equilavent of or-ing together the keyword and synonyms when a user
      uses the particular keyword (you can also specify that it's a two-way
      relationship and the use of any of the synonyms would then include the
      keyword).

      A specific example: Let's say we add "bpm" as the keyword and
      "business process management" as one of its synonyms. If a user does
      a search using the keyword bpm, it's treated by Coveo like a search of

      bpm or "business process management"

      which makes some sense, obviously.

      However, if you also have a Top Result defined for the keyword bpm, it
      no longer is triggered when a user searches on bpm. After trying a
      few variations, we found that (if the synonym was defined as above) if
      we added

      bpm or "business process management"

      as one of the search terms that should trigger a particular result as
      a Top Result, it did work.

      In other words, it seems that Coveo alters the user's original search
      terms into the synonym-driven equivalent *before* it checks for a
      match on a Top Result.

      Is this expected behavior? It seems like a bug to me - it should do
      the Top Result match before the synonym-ization because otherwise, the
      Top Result configuration becomes incredibly complicated.

      Is there some setting that we could use to control this or some other
      workaround?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2009
        Hi again, everyone - I just wanted to re-raise this question for the
        group - any Coveo-knowledgeable folks out there who have been able to
        get synonyms and best bets to work together?

        thanks!
        Lee