Re: Sponsored links/Best bets with Autonomy IDOL

  • poserdoser
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
      Sounds like a good solution, I guess you just provide the results from
      the Best bets database first, but I guess this doesn't give specific
      hits on specific words.

      But I guess you could have a field for keywords that IDOL uses for
      results and then have the description of the site and such not be a
      part of relevance.

      The part about a small web app that makes it very easy to maintain the
      best bets is very appealing.

      --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <tbwendt@...> wrote:

      > We've tried two approaches. First, per Autonomy's recommendation we
      > used the IDL Rules database and Retina to maintain the Best Bets. Not
      > so good. Retina was flaky for maintaining the Best Bets. We were not
      > always sure the record was saved because it didn't always save it.
      > Other times you would get duplicates because the index record would
      > eventually show up. Retina was not a good interface for maintenance og
      > Best Bets. Plus, you had to have a central administrative group or
      > person (me) to maintain all of the Best Bets since IQL Rules are an
      > administrative function in Retina.
      >
      > Second approach. We already had a simple SQL database table that held
      > information on web sites within the company. The data in the table:
      >
      > Web Site Name
      > URL
      > Alternate URL
      > Description
      > Keywords (metadata about the site)
      > Expiration Date
      > Web Site User ID
      >
      > Web site content owners are required to maintain this data (via a
      > little web application) in order for it to show up in the company web
      > site directory (our pre-Autonomy method of finding web sites). We used
      > the ODBC fetch to index the content into an IDOL database. Whenever a
      > query is submitted, we submit the normal query and a second query to
      > the Best Bets database. We re-fetch once per day but the amount of
      > data is so small that you could re-fetch several times per day.
      >

      > The results are perfect! Relevancy is great and completely tweakable
      > via the content that the user enters into the web app. We have about
      > 700-800 Best Bets that are community maintained. Power to the People!
      >
      > Tim
      >

      > --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, "poserdoser" <poserdonut@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I have a customer who is interested in setting up sponsored links/best
      > > bets with their IDOL server. Can anyone provide a good solution for
      > > doing so?

    • Tim
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
        We provide the top 3 most relevant matches at the top of the
        traditional search results and the full list of Best Bets results in a
        pop-up window in the user wants to drill deeper.

        I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't give specific hits on specific
        words." That's exactly what it does. It's just another Autonomy
        database to the Autonomy DAH. The content (all relevant columns from
        the table) from the Best Bets SQL database is indexed in the
        DRECONTENT field just as if it were coming from a Word document. Also
        they are in specific index fields so that you can pull out specific
        fields such as URL and Site Name.

      • poserdoser
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Web site content owners are required to maintain this data (via a
          > > > little web application) in order for it to show up in the
          company web
          > > > site directory (our pre-Autonomy method of finding web sites). We
          > used
          > > > the ODBC fetch to index the content into an IDOL database.
          > Whenever a
          > > > query is submitted, we submit the normal query and a second
          query to
          > > > the Best Bets database. We re-fetch once per day but the amount of
          > > > data is so small that you could re-fetch several times per day.
          > > >

          > > > The results are perfect! Relevancy is great and completely
          tweakable
          > > > via the content that the user enters into the web app. We have
          about
          > > > 700-800 Best Bets that are community maintained. Power to the

          I think I was to tired when I read what you wrote, this really seems
          like a really good solution since it doesn't require much work and it
          as you said you would be able to fetch the data very often sine it's a
          small source.

          I'm looking forward to try this out.