Re: Methodology for assessing results from multiple search engines?

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2008

      Thanks for the wonderful summary.  We've already selected a vendor,  what we are using this for is to improve the usability of the presentation and confirm enhancements.  There are lot of people out there that quote hearsay or have a predetermined solution in mind.  Your example was perfect...

      Google is Cuter: Or, "brand names work". One of our Ultraseek customers did a blind kitten war test between Ultraseek and Google. Ultraseek was preferred 75% of the time. Some executive found this hard to believe and asked that they try it again with the logos attached to the pages. The second time, people preferred Google over half the time.

      Thanks for the summary again - I will use some of your ideas in good health. Have virtual coffee on me.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2008
        Yes, thanks, Walter. :-)

        In case anyone's interested, I've written up my previous post (in
        response to Crystal) about a methodology for evaluating search engines
        to share:

        http://blog.leeromero.org/2008/09/30/evaluating-and-selecting-a-search-engine/

        I also ended up putting together a set of requirements groupings that
        one might consider in doing an evaluation of search engines as a
        follow-up to the above post (and because a former co-worker of mine
        happened to ask me that question recently):

        http://blog.leeromero.org/2008/10/01/categories-of-search-requirements/

        Hopefully, of some use to someone out there :-)

        I point to your post, Walter, when discussing the known issues with
        the particular way I went about doing my own evaluation, so thanks for
        writing that up.

        Regards
        Lee Romero