Placement of Best Bets

  • bren4444
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hello all,

      We are trying to figure out where Best Bets should appear on our search
      results pages on our intranet (e.g. above search results, to the right,
      etc.). Does anyone have any resources showing where people expect to
      see them? Eyetracking studies would be particularly useful.

      TIA,

      Brenda
    • Walter Underwood

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2008

          Brenda

          Note you are refering to Search and the banner blindness research had one variation.  In the article  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/banner-blindness.html Jakob Nielsen noted he identify that search results is somewhat different.

           "(Several readers have asked whether banner blindness extends to search engine ads. It doesn't: text ads on a SERP get a decent number of fixations. The other exception is classified ads.  ..."

        • Walter Underwood
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2008
            Re: [SearchCoP] Re: Placement of Best Bets
            1. “banner blindness” is a specific case of humans learning to ignore irrelevant input. Humans are excellent at this, so any popular repeated irrelevant element, like the Google sidebar ads, will eventually be ignored.
            2. Banner ads were invented by a search engine, Infoseek, so it is certainly possible for that to happen on search result pages.

            wunder