Enterprise Search and Federated Seach

  • Niamh O'Byrne
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2008
      Hi all,
      There is some confusion where I work about the difference between Federated Search and Enterprise Search. My understanding is that enterprise search is the ability to index and search content across the enterprise (e.g. Intranet, Public site, databases, legacy systems, email) and that it creates one index and one result set, whereas federated search would be submitting a query from a single search interface to multiple repositories (that could include multiple search technologies) and then merging the results (i.e.multiple indexes) into one result set.
      Is this a correct definition? Grateful for your feedback.
      Niamh

    • John Kane
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2008

        Hi Niamh,

        Yes, that is how I see it as well. Here are a few links that might be helpful:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_search

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_search

        Two good blogs on these topics:

        http://www.enterprisesearchblog.com/

        http://federatedsearchblog.com/

        Let me know if you have any questions related to either of these topics…

        FYI, I was with IntelliSearch as their Search Evangelist and now with FAST (a Microsoft Subsidiary) as a Sr. Sales Engineer and we have solutions for both of these topics.

        Regards,

        John