Re: Looking for a better name than Best Bets for keyword results

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 18, 2008
      Kim,
      Thanks for the tidbit. I've seen this web blindness too. It's really
      a bell shaped curve. Some see it right away and others are blind. I
      call it the ah ha principle. I'll bet this employee looks at that box
      now first. We also use it to display other information like acronyms
      and people search look up so I would say there are may be some who
      don't see it but I wouldn't throw it out because the majority do. What
      I have seen is people blow right past links in the search results
      because of a poor title or no title at all when it was the correct or
      best selection. In a usability test we saw this consistently. When
      interviewed later - the poor or missing titles ( no title found) cause
      the user to beleive the content was not relevant even though it was
      ranked in the top 5 results.

      Good titles and
      --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com, Kim Ashley <kimazoid@...> wrote:

      > An interesting tidbit - on our intranet, we box out the key-worded
      match results too, exactly as described by Jim below. .....

      > Banner blindness at its finest!
      >
      > Kim Ashley
      > Program Manager, Information Strategy
      > Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 18, 2008
        Kim,
        Thanks for the tidbit. I've seen this web blindness too. It's really
        a bell shaped curve. Some see it right away and others are blind. I
        call it the ah ha principle. I'll bet this employee looks at that box
        now first. We also use it to display other information like acronyms
        and people search look up so I would say there are may be some who
        don't see it but I wouldn't throw it out because the majority do. What
        I have seen is people blow right past links in the search results
        because of a poor title or no title at all when it was the correct or
        best selection. In a usability test we saw this consistently. When
        interviewed later - the poor or missing titles ( no title found) cause
        the user to beleive the content was not relevant even though it was
        ranked in the top 5 results.

        So even highly relevant searches will fail if the content has poor
        titling. e.g. home page instead of the department or busniiness home
        page. We also allow people to create tags but they created tags from
        what they thought people would look for and not what people really
        looked for. Also some got voer zealous and and tagged many pages,
        files and documents with the same tag so thee list was way to large and
        it lost it value. Key word best bets tagfging only works if it well
        controlled or it will be come too big and lose iot's relevance.

        Thanks for the comments.
      • Tim Wendt
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 18, 2008
          Someone did a session at the last Enterprise Search Summit that was really amazing.  One of the presenters invested in technology that could follow eye movements and draw a "heat" map over a web page.  You could see exactly where the users eyes had focused.  No matter where they moved the advertisements and sponsored links, the eyes would actually squeeze through the narrowest of screen real estate to avoid looking at boxed in advertisements.

          Found it...during Avi's session called Good practice in Search UI Design.  The company was Enquiro.  They tried to create barriers and fences (made out of sponsored links) around the good content.  The eyes would find a little crack between the ads and squeeze through.  This guy also talked about the Golden Triangle which is located in the upper left-hand corner.  That is where the eyes first focus.

          Anyway, getting back to your point.  Seeing these heat maps made it easier to understand how users process the search screen.  We box things in too.  Perhaps that is a bad idea after all.  Perhaps making Best Bets appear as the highest ranking "normal" results would be more effective.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 18, 2008

            Jim –

            I’m particularly interested in your comments about user tagging.   It seems that your experience has been largely negative.

            For some research that I’m doing, I’d love to hear the experiences of others who have implemented end user tagging.   Does it help?  Hurt?  Do searchers use the tags?  Do the tags supplement controlled vocabularies?

            Thanks very much.

            Marcia

            Marcia Morante

            KCurve, Inc.