Search analytics question: words per search

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2008
      Hi all - I've been looking at data related to searches again recently
      and reflected on the other question I'd asked a few weeks back about
      the length of searches (in terms of characters) and thought it might
      be interesting to also look at the length in terms of # of words used.

      In the data I have access to, it appears that 1- and 2-word searches
      are by far the most prominent (both coming in at about 37% of
      searches). Three-word searches are about 17.5%. After that, there's
      a steep drop off (about 99% of searches are 5 or fewer words in
      length).

      Has anyone looked at their search behavior from this angle? In taking
      another look at Louis Rosenfeld's presentation on search analytics (
      http://www.louisrosenfeld.com/presentations/ ), I don't see any
      mention there of this type of analysis.

      If you have looked at search data from this kind of angle, did you
      find any particular actionable understandings from it?

      It seems possible that if you monitor this over time to look for
      trends, it might be useful to detect changes during any period as that
      could indicate some change in your user's (perhaps trending more
      toward known-item searches?), but I'm not sure what you might do as a
      result of that insight.

      Just thought I'd see if anyone else had thought of something that
      might be useful with this type of insight.

      Regards