      From: SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Richard Beatch
      Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:22 AM
      To: SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SearchCoP] Re: Specific search tuning question in FAST ESP

      While the approach may seem a little cumbersome, remember, searching
      an inverted index, which is a requirement for any sort of
      scalability, is rather unlike a database query or a perl script. If
      my memory serves, Autonomy and, until recently, Verity, did not
      offer much more in this regard.

      --Richard

      --- In SearchCoP@yahoogrou ps.com, "Smith, Lisa" <lsmith@...> wrote:

      > Can't say I have much
      experience with FAST, but that seems clunky.
      No utility to say "One word results only", huh? Is there maybe a way
      in the rules to do a kind of regular expression that looks for a
      line or field terminator after "snow"? Or at least to say "Find snow
      without another alphanumeric character or space after or before it?
      For example, such a matching expression using perl might be /^snow$/
      or /^snow(\n|\r| \f)$/ or simply that the string must equal "=" the
      query rather than be an approximate match "=~" to it.

      Hope that makes sense. I don't know what an equivalent in FAST
      might be.

      > Lisa M. Smith
      > Director, Taxonomy

      1-310-586-4198

      href="https://email.business.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?">https://email. business. com/exchweb/ bin/redir. asp?
      URL=http://www.business .com>

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      href="mailto:SearchCoP%40yahoogroups.com">SearchCoP@yahoogrou ps.com on behalf of Richard Beatch
      > Sent: Wed 2/6/2008 7:05 AM
      > To:
      href="mailto:SearchCoP%40yahoogroups.com">SearchCoP@yahoogrou ps.com

      Subject: [SearchCoP] Re: Specific search tuning question in FAST
      ESP

      > Karin,
      >
      > I spoke with my search
      architect on this. He knows FAST about as
      > well as anyone I have ever
      met, including the top engineers at
      > FAST. So, here is his
      response:

      > ----
      > I can't think of anyway to do it via
      synonyms... only by creating
      > the actual queries yourself as
      follows:

      > I'd try using the ONEAR operator and do something like
      snow ANDNOT
      > ONEAR(snow,storm, n=0). The syntax is probalby a little
      of, but it
      > shoudl be close... "find me all the docs with the word snow,
      but
      > exclude the ones with snow within n words of storm.
      >
      > If phrase support is enabled on the composite field, then in
      theory,
      > snow ANDNOT "snow storm" should work, but I wouldn't bet
      the farm
      on

      href="mailto:SearchCoP%40yahoogroups.com">SearchCoP@yahoogrou ps.com <mailto:SearchCoP%
      40yahoogroups. com> , "schneider_karin" <kschnei1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone have
      experience with tuning FAST ESP to return only
      > hits on

      exactly one word and specifically exclude the word in another

      context?
      > > e.g find: "Snow" but result should exclude "snow
      storm"
      > > Can that be handled through exclusions in the synonym
      dictionary?
      > Or is
      > > there another way?

      Thanks for any help anyone may have!