      From: SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Richard Beatch
      Sent: Wed 2/6/2008 7:05 AM
      To: SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SearchCoP] Re: Specific search tuning question in FAST ESP

      Karin,

      I spoke with my search architect on this. He knows FAST about as
      well as anyone I have ever met, including the top engineers at
      FAST. So, here is his response:

      ----
      I can't think of anyway to do it via synonyms... only by creating
      the actual queries yourself as follows:

      I'd try using the ONEAR operator and do something like snow ANDNOT
      ONEAR(snow,storm,n=0). The syntax is probalby a little of, but it
      shoudl be close... "find me all the docs with the word snow, but
      exclude the ones with snow within n words of storm.

      If phrase support is enabled on the composite field, then in theory,
      snow ANDNOT "snow storm" should work, but I wouldn't bet the farm on
      it without trying it first.
      ----

      Hope this helps,

      Richard

      --- In SearchCoP@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SearchCoP%40yahoogroups.com> , "schneider_karin" <kschnei1@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone have experience with tuning FAST ESP to return only
      hits on
      > exactly one word and specifically exclude the word in another
      context?
      > e.g find: "Snow" but result should exclude "snow storm"
      > Can that be handled through exclusions in the synonym dictionary?
      Or is
      > there another way?
      > Thanks for any help anyone may have!
      >
      > Regards,