460Taming the news beast: finding context and value in text and data - ISKO UK event, London, 1st April 2014

  • Bob Bater
    Jan 23, 2014

      ISKOUK

      Tamingthe news beast:

      findingcontext and value in text and data

      Tuesday1st April 2014 (14.00-17.45)

      ChemistryLecture Theatre, University College London WC1H 0AJ

      Don’tmiss the first ISKO UK afternoon meeting of 2014 in London on Tuesday 1st April 2014 on the topic "Tamingthe news beast - Finding context and value in text and data",organized by member Helen Lippell. Themeeting is preceded by our AGM at 1pm, to which interested non-members are most welcome as observers

      Ascontent volumes and sources have exploded, for news producers and consumers alike it has become harder to extract context and value. The rise of digital publishing has eroded print revenues, and companies have to be innovative in packaging their offerings for a competitive marketplace. Consumers too are faced with an unprecedented information overload and need ways to ensure they see only the services they truly value. As knowledge organizers, how do we address the challenges?

      Youwill find the programme and other details of the event, and can register until March 28th via the ISKO UK site at http://www.iskouk.org/events/news_beast_April_2014.htm Theevent is free to ISKO members and to full-time students. The fee for non-members is just £40. All fees must be paid in advance - there is no provision for payment on arrival. Registration opens at 13.30 and we shall start promptly at 2 p.m. Pleasepass this invitation on to any colleagues who may be interested. We hope to see you there. Twitter #ISKOUKNEWBE

      Twospeakers from the BBC will start us off, showing how the development and adoption of ontologies has enabled a revolution in the processes behind news broadcasting. It will be interesting to compare this with the story from ABC News in the USA, where our generous sponsor LAC Group was brought in to revolutionise the production process. Cost-effective options for smaller players will be addressed too, in a talk about AnnoMarket, a pan-European research project to launch a cloud-based marketplace for text analytics. And finally we shall hear from the Press Association about semantic data management, tagging interfaces and triple store management.

      ISKOis a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of knowledge organization, within the broad field of information science and related disciplines. Founded in 2007, our UK Chapter has been attracting lively and steadily growing audiences to its afternoon meeting series (see slides and recordings at http://www.iskouk.org/events.htm) as well as its very successful third biennial conference (http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/index.htm) last year.

      BobBater
      ISKO UK