431Re: [SearchCoP] Dealing with your company's name in content / search terms

    May 14, 2012
      Thanks for the replies, Seth and Walter.

      Walter - in this situation, if I'm understanding it correctly, the tf.idf will be thwarted to some extent because the word in question is going to be very common throughout the whole corpus of content being indexed.  So the weight of a company name is likely very little (I think) because it is in many documents, though in any one document it might not be very common (occurring in cover pages/ titles, in footers, etc.).  Can you elaborate in case I'm missing something?

      Seth - the idea of having a stop word apply to the full content and not to the metadata is interesting.  I'll have to see if we can do that with our engine; we're using Coveo - anyone happen to know whether stop words can be defined that only apply to content?

      Thanks again for your help.  Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

      Regards
      Lee Romero

      On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:

      First, tf.idf does this for you, automatically. IDF weights terms by how common or rare they are in your documents.

      So, you may need to do nothing.

      Second, IDF for phrases is very good for this, in fact, good for relevance in general. If a phrase is rare and selective, it will have a high IDF, even if it is made of common words. I don't know of any engine that has phrase IDF by default. Ultraseek did have it, but I don't think that is sold any more.

      Solr dismax and edismax can be configured to have a higher weight for phrase matches. This may help.

      If you can handle this algorithmically, do that. Best Bets are labor-intensive, because they need to be re-checked and updated by hand regularly. You do NOT want a stale best bet.

      wunder
      Walter Underwood
      former Infoseek, Inktomi, Verity, Netflix
      now Chegg Search Guy

      On May 14, 2012, at 5:58 AM, Seth Earley wrote:

      Hi Lee,

      I was thinking Best Bets as I was reading.  That would be my approach.   Either that or a content model with those terms tagged in specific metadata fields with searches scoped or limited to those fields as opposed to full text (“Deloitte” would be a stop word in full text search)

      That would be my approach

      Seth

      Seth Earley

      CEO