115Re: [SearchCoP] Re: People Search

  • Richard Wiggins
    Mar 2 1:29 PM
      Tony,

      Yes, indeed, I do find it interesting!  I tried your sample search out and it does do an impressive job of parsing.

      I was able to fool it with this query:

         Dr. Oscar de la Cruz  29/2/56 48864

      It came up with a family name of

         de

      and an age of 29, and it didn't parse out the postal code.

      As you say, we always encounter boundaries.  :-)

      /rich

      On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Tony Rose <tgr@...> wrote:

      Rich,

      > If you figure out a foolproof algorithm that allows free-form
      searches and
      > handles compound names, multiple middle names, Van Dyke versus
      VanDyke,
      > names with apostrophes, foreign names, and nicknames, would you
      please send
      > it along? :-)

      You might find the following of interest:

      http://www.mscui.net/Samples/PSIB/PatientSearchInputBox.aspx

      It's a .NET control for the searching of patient records, i.e. it
      accepts various demographic details in a single search box then
      parses them to do a structured lookup. Obviously the use case is
      somewhat different to the one suggested by Tim, as this control is
      aimed at searching patient records in a national database rather than
      staff records in a corporate database.

      And as you'll see, it's far from foolroof, but it nonetheless
      illustrates how far you can go with just simple regexes under the
      hood. For example, I tried it with "Dr Rich Wiggins 35 1000 lakeside
      parkway 12/01/1980" and it did a reasonable job, but you'll soon find
      the boundary cases if you vary this a little.

      The UI design guidance that accompanies this lives at:

      http://www.mscui.net/DesignGuide/PatientFindAPatient.aspx

      but note that this is heavily geared toward the requirements of
      information governance, privacy, etc. (as you'd expect with patient
      records).

      Best regards,
      Tony

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic