114Re: People Search

  • Tony Rose
    Mar 2, 2008
      Rich,

      > If you figure out a foolproof algorithm that allows free-form
      searches and
      > handles compound names, multiple middle names, Van Dyke versus
      VanDyke,
      > names with apostrophes, foreign names, and nicknames, would you
      please send
      > it along? :-)

      You might find the following of interest:

      http://www.mscui.net/Samples/PSIB/PatientSearchInputBox.aspx

      It's a .NET control for the searching of patient records, i.e. it
      accepts various demographic details in a single search box then
      parses them to do a structured lookup. Obviously the use case is
      somewhat different to the one suggested by Tim, as this control is
      aimed at searching patient records in a national database rather than
      staff records in a corporate database.

      And as you'll see, it's far from foolroof, but it nonetheless
      illustrates how far you can go with just simple regexes under the
      hood. For example, I tried it with "Dr Rich Wiggins 35 1000 lakeside
      parkway 12/01/1980" and it did a reasonable job, but you'll soon find
      the boundary cases if you vary this a little.

      The UI design guidance that accompanies this lives at:

      http://www.mscui.net/DesignGuide/PatientFindAPatient.aspx

      but note that this is heavily geared toward the requirements of
      information governance, privacy, etc. (as you'd expect with patient
      records).

      Best regards,
      Tony
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic