Tarpan Viddhi: Mantras for Ancestor' Worship

  • dhkerrmail
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2013
      Tarpan Viddhi
      ~~OM~~

      Navaratri is preceded by Mahalaya, the Great Dissolution, when we dissolve all
      our attachments to the creation, and in this way dissolve creation itself. Our
      last act in the old creation is to express our appreciation to our ancestors for
      preparing such a wonderful path for us. Now we can worship without obstruction
      for the Festival of Nine Nights.

      The mantras contained in following pdf file demonstrate our respect for our
      ancestors:

      Ancestral offerings

      OM Kurukshetra Gaya Ganga
      Prabhase Pushkarani Cha
      Ye Tirthatani Punyani
      Tarpanakale Bhavanti Cha: these are the meritorious
      places of pilgrimage that are to be remembered at the time of offering to
      ancestors: Kurukshetra, Gaya, Ganga, Prabhasa, Pushkara

      Yamaya Dharmarajaya
      Mrtyave Chantakaya Cha
      Vaivasvataya Kalaya
      SarvaButakshayaya Cha: I bow to Yama - The King of Dharma,
      to Death, to the Inner Being;
      to He who is the Universe,
      to Time,
      to He who causes the destruction of all existence.

      Om Pita Svargaha, Pita Dharmaha, Pita Hi Paramam Tapaha
      Pitari Pritimapanne
      Priyante Sarva Devataha: My ancestors are my heaven. My ancestors are my Dharma.
      My ancestors
      are my highest Tapas. If my ancestors are satisfied, all the Gods will be
      satisfied.

      Om Asisho Me Pradiyantam
      Pitaraha Karunamayaha
      Vadaha Santatayo Nityam
      Varddhantam Bandhave Mama: Oh Compassionate Ancestors, bless me. Always speak
      words of peace to me
      and release me from all bondage.

      Om Shanti Shanti Shantihi