instant messaging tool with scrum

  • Sani ..........
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008

      hi

           i am student and working on scrum limitations for my research proposal.one of scrum limitations is daily meetings which i found from literature review for distributed development systems and for same building or same floor in some circumstances.

      i suggested in my research proposal if we integrate instant messaging tool with scrum model and start daily communication with it then it will help to overcome that daily meetings problem.its better to shift daily face to face meetings twice or thrice a week according to organization requirement..

      i have no practicle experience with scrum, i gave this suggestion on the basis of my literature review and website study.so please guide me is it suitable approach for thesis or there is any other better option??

      Regards

      sani

    • Aslam Hirani
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi,

        We have tried distributed scrum team. What i mean from distributed scrum team is that team members of one scrum team members are located at distributed locations and its a disaster.
        There are lot of hallway discussions and discussions between team members at one location and they dont perculate to the part of the scrum team that locates at another location.
        Scrum master cannot solve impedements of team members seated at different location.

        we now follow the model that scrum teams are distributed on technical areas in a project so scrum teams working on same tech. area are seated at one location for good communication flow.

        We use instant messaging as one of the ways to communicates between scrum teams, product owner team that is situated at different location.

        regards
        Aslam

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          Instant Messaging sure works but try these which make a long term impact

          1. A social network portal to connect people across locations as human beings with more to them than just work deadlines or code fixes

          2. Put everyone on Skype, Jajah so that anyone can talk to anyone ever

          3. Try the cheap and free video conferencing tools - especially ones with 24*7 rooms so that anyone can ping anyone at any time and connect with anyone

          4. Don't decide protocols like available time etc. - let the team or individuals work it out themselves

          5. Have Scrum Masters at both locations - remote SM's don't work but remote PO "could" work as long as he is available for discussion

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            P.S. Mayank Gupta from GlobalLogic has done quite a bit of research on this topic. So you might want to connect with him.

                 i am student and working on scrum limitations for my research proposal.one of scrum limitations is daily meetings which i found from literature review for distributed development systems and for same building or same floor in some circumstances.

            i suggested in my research proposal if we integrate instant messaging tool with scrum model and start daily communication with it then it will help to overcome that daily meetings problem.its better to shift daily face to face meetings twice or thrice a week according to organization requirement. .

            i have no practicle experience with scrum, i gave this suggestion on the basis of my literature review and website study.so please guide me is it suitable approach for thesis or there is any other better option??

            Regards

            sani

          • Surendra Lingareddy
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
              Not to discard what you are already embarking on but if you are on a path to research some of the common Scrum bottlenecks/problems (I would not call them limitations as that is very relative to project), I would recommend choosing a broader topic such as 'Communication in Scrum Teams' rather than focusing on one aspect of communication.

              In general, communication happens at different levels and through different channels. IM, VM help facilitation and it is well accepted that Face 2 Face work better. Not all projects have that luxury and when you don't, you identify ways to communicate and Vikrama has outlined a few great ones.

              In addition, as Vikrama put it, let the teams arrive as to what is right and wrong. I know its tough said than done especially if you are starting off. But, it seems the teams come off better understanding if they fall and find their own solutions to problems. Your question about stand-ups is something that we faced when we adopted about three years back. Initially, we had lots of enthusiasm and then it waned off about the daily stuff. Few of us started questioning the value but after we had done for about six months, there was more value in doing than not doing. So we stuck to it. If you had no impeding stuff, then you are done with your status in about five minutes.

              All the best.

              Surendra

              On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Sani .......... <greatsani12@...> wrote:

              hi

                   i am student and working on scrum limitations for my research proposal.one of scrum limitations is daily meetings which i found from literature review for distributed development systems and for same building or same floor in some circumstances.

              i suggested in my research proposal if we integrate instant messaging tool with scrum model and start daily communication with it then it will help to overcome that daily meetings problem.its better to shift daily face to face meetings twice or thrice a week according to organization requirement..

              i have no practicle experience with scrum, i gave this suggestion on the basis of my literature review and website study.so please guide me is it suitable approach for thesis or there is any other better option??

              Regards

              sani

            • Shrikant Vashishtha
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008

                Hi,

                Apart from whatever Vikrama said, you can look for the following too.

                1. One single way of looking at written communication and creating product backlog. So usage of wiki and JIRA along with ScrumWorks kind of tool to have more structured way of handling user-stories.
                2. Have distributed standups if possible (if you have overlap) and have other discussions/meetings. If not possible, devise some ways to have direct communication (either one/other team sits late or comes early)
                3. Have local standups also before you have any distributed one. It happens as you start your business day.
                4. Make ways to have direct face-to-face communication with other team. May be team members can visit other location for 2+ sprints at other places. It really enhances the communication as you know people personally at other side well.
                5. As part of distributed meeting you may want to touch base things/meetings which happened at other side and may be also update the wiki with action points.

                Thanks,

                -ShriKant

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
                  www.scrumpad.com does it, now.

                  Fuad Bin Omar (Tamal)
                  Software Engineer
                  Code71, Inc.
                  H # 39/A, R # 11
                  Dhanmodi, Dhaka 1205
                  Bangladesh
                  http://www.code71.com
                  fuad@...

                  Contact No: +88 01717 252020 , +88 01198 015620

                  New Email names for you!
                  Hurry before someone else does!