Re: [Scrum-India] Retrospective Patterns

  • Vinod D
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hi Om,

      We use the classic pattern...

      1. What we did well?
      2. What we can get better at?
      3. What are things we want to try in this sprint?

      We go round the table ask everyone to provide 1-2 comments for 1 and 2. Once we have the list, the team (size = 6) decides from "What we can get better at" list, things to try out in the upcoming sprint (duration = 2weeks).

      At iteration planning and during every scrum, we remind ourselves of the things we want to try in this sprint. E.g.: Ensure early UI reviews with UX designers. When a team member mentions they are done with the UI, invariably someone points out that we have to review it. Not foolproof, but works most of the time.

      Before beginning the next retrospective, we review the things we wanted to try. If something was not tried and we still want to pursue it, we add it to the list for the next sprint.

      Since we are a distributed team, we document all finding on our iteration wiki page (We use the template Pete provided during CSM training).  If it's a technical issue (e.g.: CI takes too long to build) it goes into the technical backlog with appropriate priority.

      Vinod.
      http://in.linkedin.com/pub/vinod-dsouza/24/7a6/52a

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2011

        All,

           Generally it is being told to keep the Scrum Daily Meeting within 15 minutes. Is it a standing role, which can not be altered at all?

           But at times, I as a Scrum Master feel, 15 minutes is less considering the kind of update i get from the team members and which i feel is very important for all the team members.

           Can the Daily Scrum Meeting be increased to 20~25 minutes? Cause, i do not want to extend beyond the scheduled time defined for a meeting.

        regards

        Pradeep

      • Ajay Rawat
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hi Om,

          There are already so many refrences and practices mentioned that I am sure you must be finding it hard to synergize all into something which you could follow in your team.

          I just wanted to share my opinion which is based on my own experience and evolved out of the interaction with teams over the period of time. The retrospective in word and spirit is actually for the team to look back, identify its strengths and weaknesses and find a way to overcome / capitalize on that as a team and as individuals in the team. The teams needs privacy for it so it is better to let it be done within the team. Within the team gradually you will find that the team spirit builds up and starting from hesitant generic observations and sugestions for improvements as a team it starts shifting to individuals. That is a sign of team members opening up to each other and team spirit building up. It may also happen that somebody proves to be total drag on the team and it is better to move that person out of the team.

          Scrum master should be expediting this process of maturity and evolution by initiating, guiding and following up the discussions.

          The whole purpose of retrospective to improve efficiency and performance and rather the success of scrum depends upon the team spirit and objective methods and measurements will not be of much help.

          Thanks,
          Ajay Rawat.

          On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Band, Om <om.band@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Sarath Kummamuru
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 18, 2011
            A lot of times daily standup meetings extend to accomodate a lot of discussions and updates within the standup. This is not optimal and should be avoided.

            The basis for a standup meeting is that at the start of the sprint, the team had charted a course of achieving the goals for the sprint and have identified the tasks that will ensure the goal can be met.

            When there is clarity in the tasks that have to be accomplished, the only activity in the scrum daily standup meeting is to update the whole team on what is happenning, what needs to be done and if there are any blockers to the originally charted path and tasks.

            If the sprint planning and task identification is good and effective and the whole team is inline with the goal and the tasks, the sprint daily standup meeting can be very short and quick.

            Some guidelines are surely that, keep out all discussions, take things offline, etc. But the most effective practice is to make the team better at sprint planning.

            A good sprint plan with clarity ensures a quick standup every day.

            thanks,
            Sarath.

            --
            Thanks,
            Sarath.

            Quad One Technologies | Mobile: +91 98490 05629 | Off: +91 40 2335 0221 | www.quadone.com
          • Manoj Vadakkan

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 18, 2011
                Hi Pradeep / friends,

                Meetings as usual are notorious for overruns and that is precisely why a time restriction of 15 minutes is envisaged so that all attendees are well aware of the restrictions/discipline under which the meeting is being held.

                With the normal 7 member Sprint Teams, each one gets 2.5 minutes to update fellow members - which is quite sufficient.
                However, as a ScrumMaster, when we notice that there are impending issues that will need serious discussion, that should be taken off-line and not included within the Daily Scrum Meeting limits of time.

                I guess a little here and there is always OK....BUT...too much of this can become a bad habit (and as you know habits are hard to de-learn :) )

                Thanks and Have a Great Day!!!

                Jaydeep Vijayan.
                Mumbai

                On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Pradeep <pradeep_p43@...> wrote:

                All,

                   Generally it is being told to keep the Scrum Daily Meeting within 15 minutes. Is it a standing role, which can not be altered at all?

                   But at times, I as a Scrum Master feel, 15 minutes is less considering the kind of update i get from the team members and which i feel is very important for all the team members.

                   Can the Daily Scrum Meeting be increased to 20~25 minutes? Cause, i do not want to extend beyond the scheduled time defined for a meeting.

                regards

                Pradeep

                --
                Thanks & Regards,
                Jaydeep Vijayan
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 18, 2011

                  Hi Pradeep:

                  -          Daily Stand up meeting is not a status update meeting. I would say status update should be side effect of it. Team meets to understand how they are flaring up to meet the committed goal for the sprint. I remember scrum guide has summarized this in a nice way, so do refer that once again.

                  -          Here is what we do:

                  o        Update as per SCRUM guidelines. During this time if some one has questions, then they write on the board and we discuss these after the DSM.

                  o        Discussion after DSM are more technical and based on finding, sometimes also lead to change in “what I plan to do today”

                  Regards,

                  Amit Mehra

                     Generally it is being told to keep the Scrum Daily Meeting within 15 minutes. Is it a standing role, which can not be altered at all?

                     But at times, I as a Scrum Master feel, 15 minutes is less considering the kind of update i get from the team members and which i feel is very important for all the team members.

                     Can the Daily Scrum Meeting be increased to 20~25 minutes? Cause, i do not want to extend beyond the scheduled time defined for a meeting.

                  regards

                  Pradeep

                  Please refer to http://www.aricent.com/legal/email_disclaimer.html
                  for important disclosures regarding this electronic communication.
                • Sumit1 K
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 18, 2011
                    Pradeep,

                    What is your team size?

                    The purpose of Scrum is to share where team stands as compared to yesterday and any blockers.

                    Sumit

                       Generally it is being told to keep the Scrum Daily Meeting within 15 minutes. Is it a standing role, which can not be altered at all?

                       But at times, I as a Scrum Master feel, 15 minutes is less considering the kind of update i get from the team members and which i feel is very important for all the team members.

                       Can the Daily Scrum Meeting be increased to 20~25 minutes? Cause, i do not want to extend beyond the scheduled time defined for a meeting.

                    regards

                    Pradeep

                    =====-----=====-----=====
                    and any attachments. Thank you

                  • Anand Krishnan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 19, 2011
                      Hi Pradeep,

                      15 minutes is a Scrum prescribed duration and also fits well within the "time-box" model.  Also various studies have also highlighted that a group of people can effectively communicate (while standing) between 10 to 15 minutes.

                      There is a need to change the perception on Scrum Daily Meeting.  Its a ceremony for the TEAM to share updates between each other.  Its not an forum to report progress updates to the Scrum Master.  Chickens should be attentive in the Daily meeting and make notes of updates - then cross-verify the notes taken offline with each team member.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Regards
                      AnandKrishnan V

                      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Pradeep <pradeep_p43@...> wrote:

                      All,

                         Generally it is being told to keep the Scrum Daily Meeting within 15 minutes. Is it a standing role, which can not be altered at all?

                         But at times, I as a Scrum Master feel, 15 minutes is less considering the kind of update i get from the team members and which i feel is very important for all the team members.

                         Can the Daily Scrum Meeting be increased to 20~25 minutes? Cause, i do not want to extend beyond the scheduled time defined for a meeting.

                      regards

                      Pradeep

                    • gopinath
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 19, 2011
                        Hi Pradeep,
                        15 minutes is adequate for each team member to answer the 3 Classic Daily Standup Questions, provided the team size does not exceed 9 members and there are not too many discussions while these questions are answered.
                        While answering this questions the team members have to be brief and to the point.
                        A simple technique will be to allocate maximum of one and half minutes for each team member.
                        Once the 15 minutes Timebox is over. Declare the Daily Standup meeting over. Have a couple of minutes break.
                        And then start having a detailed discussion session on the points which could not be discussed in the Daily Standup. For these discussions only the team members who are really required participate, the rest get back to their work.
                        Hope this helps. I found it quite workable.

                        Gopinath
                        Consultant - Process & Quality
                        http://in.linkedin.com/in/gopinathr

                        --- In Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com, Pradeep <pradeep_p43@...> wrote:

                        > All,
                        >
                        >    Generally it is being told to keep the Scrum Daily Meeting within 15 minutes.
                        > Is it a standing role, which can not be altered at all?
                        >    But at times, I as a Scrum Master feel, 15 minutes is less considering the
                        > kind of update i get from the team members and which i feel is very important
                        > for all the team members.
                        >
                        >    Can the Daily Scrum Meeting be increased to 20~25 minutes? Cause, i do not
                        > want to extend beyond the scheduled time defined for a meeting.
                        >
                        > regards
                        > Pradeep

                      • Rakesh Pandey
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 19, 2011
                          Hi Pradeep,

                          Besides, what everyone mentioned in response to your query.

                          The Daily Standup or the Daily Scrum meeting is for The Team to updated All the Team Members of what they achieved and what they are going to today and any impediments they have.  Also, the team should assess, whether they are going to meet their sprint goal or not. If they are not what is blocking them, what they need to be able to achieve the Sprint goal.
                          As Scrum Master you are expected to guide them to follow the Scrum framework.
                          For Scrum Master, it is important to take Note of and observe the impediments the team is facing and resolve them.
                          If needed, work the team or individual team member to analyze and resolve the impediments.  This should be done outside the Scrum meeting.
                          There is lot more then just the above which a Scrum master to do or Facilitate for the team.

                          However, the above should address your basic set of questions.

                          Thanks!

                          RAKESH PANDEY PMP®, CSM, IIMC
                          Mobile:+91-9810112234 | E-Mail:rpandeydelhi@... | http://in.linkedin.com/in/rpandeydelhi

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 21, 2011
                            Now Sumit, thats where the problem lies.
                            Till 2 Spint before, i had a team of  9 ( which is 7 +-  2 as per scrum standard), but for some reason now team size is 11 and thats why i am facing this problem.

                            Here i must highlight, while going through the replies to this question, i got a good point of having a section in the white board, where team members can write the specific points which they need to discuss with others after the Scrum Meeting. This might be a good practice to be followed.

                            regards
                            Pradeep

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 21, 2011
                              thanks all for responding to the query.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 21, 2011
                                Hi Pradeep:
                                                - Yes, writing on white board has worked for us and some other teams I have coached.
                                                - Having things out of standard is not advisible but practically we all face many challenges to work in idealistic SCRUM guidelines. What needs to be time boxed is the duration for each team member to provide update.
                                                - Another practice which I have found working in many teams is "fine collection", if any rule is broken. May be initially fine collection will be not be taken seriously but once team enjoys the money for some outing then they look for more means to collect money :)

                                Regards,
                                Amit Mehra

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 21, 2011

                                  But be very careful for fine collection. This can also leave a very bad impression on team.

                                  Regards

                                  Sonik Chopra

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 12, 2011
                                    Hi Pradeep,

                                    Most of the replies are up to the mark mentioning the true sense of the stand-up meeitng. But see the beauty of the Agile methodology we can have more suggestions can follow better suggestions which already been made.

                                    My way of dealing the standup meetings to find out, as soon as the people gets in the room, about the resource who are facing blocking issues and are not able to move a inch. They are into my top priority list and I keep them waiting (anyhow they are not able to do any work) till I complete with other low priority with no complications status.

                                    Makes the points and discuss those separately with the concerned resource letting everyone do their part of job. Discuss if the blocking issues can be resolved, if not find out the next assigned user story for the same resource to work on till the blocking issues has been resolved.
                                    What I mean to mention here to prioritized the blockages and their timelines and find out the ways where days hours gets consumed and resource should not get into the no-work situations.

                                    Regards

                                    Neeraj Baluni
                                    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Sonik Chopra <sonik.chopra@...> wrote:

[...]

                                  • Hariprakash Agrawal
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 13, 2011
                                      Pradeep,

                                      In addition to good suggestions mentioned above, I would also suggest that look for a way to split the team. While splitting, pls have following perspectives:

                                      1. Check if all 11 members need each other's updates. Do you see some people dozing while someone is giving updates because they are not related to them at all?

                                      2. Funda of reducing meeting time is that when 11 people meet for 15 minutes, we are spending almost 3 hours (11*15 min) and if it extends by 10 min than we are spending collectively 2 extra hours. If you can split it in 2 teams than probability is that it will complete in 15 min and only you need to be available in both the meetings and overall, you save 2 hours per day.

                                      3. In my experience, in large teams, each individual is not able to connect to everyone in the team while a team of 4-6 has more bonding. Even when we go for lunch, taking 11 people takes more time than going with 4-5 persons.

                                      4. Whenever we organize a meeting with large team size, it takes 5-10 min for everyone to gather only which is another waste of time.

                                      5. In my experience, I have always went with splitting teams and each one in the team is inter-connected and feels responsible for each other. Self-organizing/managing is easy in smaller teams.

                                      Regards,
                                      Hariprakash Agrawal (Hari),
                                      Managing Director | Agile Coach |
                                      http://opcord.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/hariprakash
                                      Manual / Automated Testing using Sahi, Selenium, AutoIT, TestMaker, JMeter, QTP, LoadRunner, VB/Java Script || Mobile Apps Development using Android/J2ME || Consulting / Trainings on Agile, CMMi, Six Sigma, Project Management, Software Testing, Android and Embedded Systems