Re: Scrum for maintenance/defects fixing project

  • Sharifuddin
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi Nanda,

      Thanks for your inputs.

      1) The bugs are always prioritize
      2) Current release cycles are lengthy i.e. 8 weeks. Since it is complex product team is able to fix 10-12 defects only in a release
      3) Automation is difficult because of limitation of User interfaces technology and not justifiable from cost perspective.

      The objectives/goal we are trying to achieve are:

      a) Frequent fix packs/releases to customer
      b) Reduce new defects induction and improve quality.
      Teams are doing ok in fixing identified defects but inadvertently new defects gets introduced.
      c) Have smaller independent teams rather than 1 large team

      Which Agile method will be more appropriate here?

      Thanks,
      Kazi

      --- In Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com, nanda lankalapalli <nanda.lankalapalli@...> wrote:

      > There are few questions to answer to see what benefit you are going to get
      > by introducing scrum for this project:
      >
      > 1. In what sequence do you fix the bugs. Are they fixed in 'first in first
      > out' basis? or do they need to be prioritized?
      > 2. What is the current release cycle? You could reduce the release cycle to
      > 1 to 4 weeks if you could get the code base to stable state with in that
      > time.
      > 3. Start doing automation from now. Every time you fix a bug write a unit
      > test or a test at higher level what ever is possible.
      > 4. As far as velocity goes, assign a 1 to the simple bug and estimate other
      > bugs relative to that simple one. Then count how many points are delivered
      > in a sprint.
      >
      > Hope this helps. Otherwise, ask more questions.
      >
      > --Nanda
      >
      > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Sharifuddin <skazi1018@...> wrote:
      >

      > > How is Scrum applied to maintenance/defects fixing projects? I've a
      > > maintenance projects the scope is defects fixes majority also functioncal
      > > and regression testing are completely manual.
      > >
      > > a) How should be team composition in terms of developers + Tester (QA)?
      > > Currently we have each team comprises of 5 team members (3 dev + 2 QA) but
      > > the on-going challenge is QA team members occupancy when development in
      > > progress
      > >
      > > b) How to measure team velocity since these are all defects and no user
      > > stories or story points as such?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Kazi

    • nanda lankalapalli
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
        It doesn't matter you follow Scrum or Kanban or any agile process. What you need to do is:

        1. Start working on the bugs in a prioritized order one at a time. This includes fixing and testing and ready to be release.
        2. When ever the code base gets to a stable state, release it.

        To achieve this you need to reduce your regressing time. I am sure you are spending lot of time in regressing since you are testing it manually. Also, this has risk of new bugs. So, automation is inevitable. Given the constraints you have, you need to come up with automation strategy and implement it step by step.

        You mentioned that it is not justifiable to automate in cost perspective. Think of how much cost you are incurring in regression testing and also by introducing new bugs. It would be cheeper in long run to make that investment now.

        If you need further help on this you could call me at 9704536673.

        --Nanda.

        On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Sharifuddin <skazi1018@...> wrote:

        Hi Nanda,

        Thanks for your inputs.

        1) The bugs are always prioritize
        2) Current release cycles are lengthy i.e. 8 weeks. Since it is complex product team is able to fix 10-12 defects only in a release
        3) Automation is difficult because of limitation of User interfaces technology and not justifiable from cost perspective.

        The objectives/goal we are trying to achieve are:

        a) Frequent fix packs/releases to customer
        b) Reduce new defects induction and improve quality.
        Teams are doing ok in fixing identified defects but inadvertently new defects gets introduced.
        c) Have smaller independent teams rather than 1 large team

        Which Agile method will be more appropriate here?

        Thanks,
        Kazi

        --- In Scrum-India@yahoogroups.com, nanda lankalapalli <nanda.lankalapalli@...> wrote:

        > There are few questions to answer to see what benefit you are going to get
        > by introducing scrum for this project:
        >
        > 1. In what sequence do you fix the bugs. Are they fixed in 'first in first
        > out' basis? or do they need to be prioritized?
        > 2. What is the current release cycle? You could reduce the release cycle to
        > 1 to 4 weeks if you could get the code base to stable state with in that
        > time.
        > 3. Start doing automation from now. Every time you fix a bug write a unit
        > test or a test at higher level what ever is possible.
        > 4. As far as velocity goes, assign a 1 to the simple bug and estimate other
        > bugs relative to that simple one. Then count how many points are delivered
        > in a sprint.
        >
        > Hope this helps. Otherwise, ask more questions.
        >
        > --Nanda
        >
        > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Sharifuddin <skazi1018@...> wrote:
        >

        > > How is Scrum applied to maintenance/defects fixing projects? I've a
        > > maintenance projects the scope is defects fixes majority also functioncal
        > > and regression testing are completely manual.
        > >
        > > a) How should be team composition in terms of developers + Tester (QA)?
        > > Currently we have each team comprises of 5 team members (3 dev + 2 QA) but
        > > the on-going challenge is QA team members occupancy when development in
        > > progress
        > >
        > > b) How to measure team velocity since these are all defects and no user
        > > stories or story points as such?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Kazi

      • Rajat Bhalla
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
          Hello Kazi

          We use Scrum+XP for all our projects.

          Probably the following can be of some help:

          1. Put all your known bugs/tickets into one prioritised list.

          2. Divide your 8 week release cycle into smaller "iterations" (or Sprints), say 4 iterations each 2 week long.

          3. At the start of each sprint, hold a sprint planning meeting to allow the team to pick from the top of the prioritised list. Let the team members choose what ticket/bug they would work on.

          4. After each sprint, do a sprint review going over the progress on the project (inspect and adapt) and a retrospective (on what's working well, what's not working, and what can be done/tried in the next sprint to ensure that process improves). The retrospective would allow the team members to bring up issues that they are facing so you can deal with them accordingly.

          5. Make sure that the product at the end of each sprint is of shippable quality.

          6. Automate your testing if possible.

          7. Follow a continuous integration cycle also ensuring at the same time that the build quality doesnt go down.

          Thanks and Regards
          Rajat Bhalla
          VinSol