20Fwd: Re: 20 Meter JOTA CW and PSK31 Conflict

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Apr 21, 2003
      Last year, this past February, and again earlier this month, I sent a
      message (copied below) to Richard Middelkoop PA3BAR, JOTA Organizer
      at the World Scouting Organization in Geneva, Switzerland regarding
      the conflict between the international PSK31 and JOTA CW frequencies
      on 20 meters (14.070mhz). I finally received an answer today (copied

      IMHO, Mr. Middelkoop is begging the question by ignoring the problem.
      By remanding the issue to the "no action" option, he leaves the
      potential for future conflict between the two modes during every
      Jamboree On The Air. This, in turn, maintains the potential, and, in
      the past the occasionally realized public relations problem for
      Scouting by interference in the now-established and very popular
      PSK31 subband on 20 meters (14.070mhz) by Scouts and Scouters
      attempting to make CW contacts on the same frequency. This
      interference is exacerbated by the bandwidth of a CW (up to 500 hz)
      signal which would easily override as many as fifteen or twenty
      narrow bandwidth (31 hz) signals. Further, PSK31 signals are normally
      weak (typically 10 watts) and a CW operator could easily not hear or
      disregard such signals before operating on top of them.

      Carried one step further, a single PSK31 QSO which is interfered with
      by a JOTA CW signal could have major ramifications against Scouting
      and JOTA if the PSK operator is a "major player" ("big gun") who
      decides to, and has the clout to advertise to the world that the
      World Scouting Organization intentionally and publicly places its
      20-meter CW frequency on top of the PSK31 subband. I do not think it
      is in Scouting's best interests to maintain this conflict.

      It is irrelevant that minimal problems were realized during the 2002
      JOTA in which only a couple JOTA CW signals were heard for brief
      times on 14.070 and that there were many PSK31 signals, including a
      number of JOTA PSK31 stations operating with little apparent
      interference. This does not preclude major future interference
      between the two modes during a JOTA. Example: what will happen if
      some October a major DXpedition to a rare DXCC location (say VP6DI or
      BS7) decides to operate PSK31 on 14.070 and, in the middle of a
      pileup, a JOTA CW CQ obliterates the pileup? This is a very realistic
      possibility: October is a popular month for DXpeditions and PSK31 is
      a rapidly growing mode among DXpeditioners; sooner or later, there
      will be conflict.

      Lastly, if further argument is needed to move the JOTA 20m CW
      frequency, 14.070 is within/at the lower part of the digital portion
      of the ARRL's 20-meter band plan and, arguably at the highest part of
      the CW subband:
      http://www2.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html (14.070
      is shown as RTTY);

      20m subbands more refined:
      http://www.utexas.edu/students/utarc/license/bandplan.html .
      Technically, 14.070 is outside the CW subband since the frequency is
      specifically listed as part of the digital subband.

      73 de Fred K2FRD

      >From: "Richard Middelkoop" <RMiddelkoop@...>
      >To: "Fred Stevens K2FRD" <K2FRD@...>
      >Cc: "Ray Moyer" <rmoyer@...>
      >Subject: Re: 20 Meter JOTA CW and PSK31 Conflict
      >Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:50:01 +0200
      >Hello Fred,
      >Thanks for the email.
      >In fact, I researched this matter more closely. None of the National JOTA
      >Organizers who discussed this in their country with their Amateur Radio
      >Association indicated that there was indeed a problem during the JOTA
      >weekend. The CW JOTA frequency is used as a calling frequency, whilst
      >traffic is put on adjacent frequencies as well. Moreover, the phone mode is
      >quite dominant during JOTA, with less emphasis on CW. The PSK community does
      >not seem to be bothered too much by using the JOTA frequency as their
      >meeting point; their bandwidth use is quite small.
      >Therefore I decided not to pursue this matter any further.
      >Should it pop up again, we'll have another look at it.
      >With best regards,
      >Richard Middelkoop
      >World JOTA Organizer
      >WOSM Geneva

      73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Otschodela Council (BSA) Amateur Radio Group KZ2BSA:
      K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/K2FRD.htm
      Six-County (NY) ARES: http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/SCARES.htm
      The OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter:
      http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/Apr03EAGLE.htm ;
      Subscribe to the EAGLE (no cost, no spam, no ads): mailto:K2FRD@... .