Re: youth scouting/radio web pages

  • kr1zan
    Message 1 of 15 , May 20, 2003
      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
      > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
      people
      > pertaining to ham radio. This would be people who are not hams and
      > just "surfing" around on the web and maybe looking for something to
      > tell (or show) just why they should be interested in ham radio.
      >
      > At this point I am taking any ideas from coloring pages and games
      > For instance.....putting the antenna up. Any ideas?
      > <<<<<<< Rest of message snipped out >>>>>>
      > Jean

      Jean,

      Another idea: How about the Archie Comic Book "on line"? Since it's
      not being published anymore (?), why not make it available in a
      convenient JPEG format in chapters for anyone to view?

      And, either at the end or as an optional chapter, invite viewers to
      become members of the on-line Archie Amateur Radio Club. They might
      then get a monthly, short newsletter from Archie telling a little
      about Ham Radio, fun things to do with Ham Radio, some interesting
      web sites, a game or two, maybe even localize it to announce local
      clubs, maybe call it "Archie's RadioGram". The RadioGram should have
      a convenient "button" to allow anyone receiving it to "opt out" of
      receiving it.

      OR, publish the RadioGram on line and invite viewers to bookmark the
      site and return often. The RadioGram should be at the elementary
      school level, shouldn't focus on technical stuff, kinda be like the
      Weekly Reader. Invite contributions from readers. It could have
      feature stories like ISS Crew Talks Over Ham Radio, Ham Radio to the
      Rescue, Ham Radio at the Boston Marathon. These kind of stories link
      to events that youth will be aware of and interested in. Even a
      story on DXpeditions, but from the curious side: photos of penguins,
      palm trees, lavish beaches, operators perched on a rock, climbing a
      palm tree, etc.

      The RadioGram should be written so a 6th grader could read it in less
      than 7 minutes. For older youth, parents and others who are
      interested, include some URLs for further reading and study.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Advisor, Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
      Richardson, TX
    • kr1zan
      Message 2 of 15 , May 20, 2003
        --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
        > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
        people
        > pertaining to ham radio.
        <<<<<<<< Rest of message snipped out >>>>>>>>>
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Jean

        It's raining here in Dallas, so I guess I'm relegated to thinking
        about the youth web site !!

        1) Schematic symbol matching game. A schematic symbol or word is
        shown along with 4 possible answers. The user selects an answer and
        is told RIGHT or WRONG. Maybe make this similar to the "Receiving
        Game" on Morse Academy. If WRONG, show the correct answer, then re-
        ask the same question. At the end of a series of questions (number
        of questions or period of time), display a score # Correct, #
        Incorrect, Total Time for Game. It's a personal challenge to get
        done quickly, and faster, each time the game is played.

        2) How about a list, with pictures and a brief description, of all
        the things we use in our lives that incorporate RADIO. i.e.,
        television, cell phones, cordless phones, wireless internet
        connections, garage door openers, satellites and satellite TV, CB,
        FRS, wireless doorbells, AM and FM radio, radar, ship to shore
        telephone, GPS, etc.

        3) What time is it in? A simple discussion and game in which the
        user is asked to predict what time (and what day) it is in various
        countries. Possibly include a chart showing +/- for GMT, how to
        calculate local time, maybe even a map. Along with the game, could
        even include a table or map with real time clocks in various time
        zones or countries.

        4) How about a few real time audio links to some repeaters around the
        country? Maybe an internet "scanner" which could provide audio, show
        the call sign, city, frequency, etc. of the repeater being listened
        to. OR, these could be some pre-recorded conversations.

        5) How about some trading cards of famous people who are/were hams.
        Photo, call sign, city, state, country, background info, small map of
        world showing location of country. These would be printable images
        that can be viewed on line, but also printed and traded, if users
        wanted to.

        That's it for now. Hope everyone is having a great day. I keep
        hoping others will list some more ideas or comment on ones that have
        been posted thus far.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
        Richardson, TX
      • Jean
        Message 3 of 15 , May 20, 2003
          Thanks for all the good suggestions....from all of you. Just keep
          sending them to me. I don't know how long it will take for the youth
          page to become a reality, but I know I'm are working on the "ground
          work." I appreciate all the good ideas! Thanks!

        • kr1zan
          Message 4 of 15 , May 20, 2003
            --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
            > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
            people
            > pertaining to ham radio.

            <<<<<<< Snip ... Snip >>>>>>>

            > Also, I am looking to make a list of ham/scout activities. This
            > would be something like would be set up for a camporee as one of
            the
            > events.

            <<<<<<< Snip ... Snip >>>>>>>

            >Any ideas?
            >
            > Jean

            A game we've had fun with teaches the basics of operating on a radio,
            the concept of a net control, teamwork, map reading and paying
            attention to what's going on during a net.

            Each participant (or team) is provided with a radio (FRS or amateur
            radio; one member of the team must be licensed or a licensed Advisor
            is provided). Each participant (or team) is given an identical map
            (a world map, or state map, or city map, or map of the camp).

            Participants are briefed on call signs, how to call someone, IDing,
            what a "net" is, what a Net Control is, very basic net procedures,
            operating courtesies, etc.

            One station, starts with an Advisor and later is the winner of a
            previous game, is the Fox. The scenario states that the Fox's
            transmitter has been damaged before he/she could tell us where he/she
            is located. BUT, one button on the DTMF pad still works and the Fox
            can send some simple characters in Morse Code. The Fox knows N for
            NO, Y for YES, and ? for I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION.

            Participants are told they may ask questions according to basic rules
            (either in turn or by calling NCS). The NCS allows them to call the
            Fox and ask a question which can be answered by N or Y. Each station
            gets only one chance during a "round" to ask a question. If the
            question can't be answered by yes or no, the Fox sends ?

            Examples: The Fox is in New Zealand
            1) Are you North of the Equator? N
            2) Are you in South America? N
            3) Are you in Africa? N
            4) Are you in Australia? N
            5) Are you in the Atlantic Ocean? N
            6) Are you in the Pacific Ocean? Y
            7) Are you in New Zealand? Y *** WINNER ***

            Of course, the youth will get very creative with questions about
            latitude and longitude. The Fox will often choose some exotic island
            or small town (if using a state map) or some short street on a city
            map.

            A variation of this is to hide the Fox on the campsite and give
            answers as above, but the hunters are on foot and ask questions about
            location on the camp, information relative to the Fox's unknown site
            (i.e., can you see outside?, can you see the dining room?, are you
            near a lake or body of water?). The story about the Fox can be
            embellished with something like a small plane has crashed on the
            camp. The pilot is injured but has a radio. The microphone is
            busted but a tone button still works. The pilot can hear people
            calling but can only send Y or N or ? (unfortunately he only
            completed course #1 of the Morse Code Course !!).

            Obviously, as the hunters get close to the Fox, they can also use
            some basic RDF concepts to home in on the Fox. Once found, the
            victors become the next Fox.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
            Richardson, TX
          • kr1zan
            Message 5 of 15 , May 20, 2003
              --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
              > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
              people
              > pertaining to ham radio.

              <<<<<<<<< Snip ... Snip >>>>>>>>

              >Any ideas?
              >
              > Jean

              Jean,

              Comment on the Youth Sked's Database:
              http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/

              I like the Youth Sked's Database, but, I'd like to see it expanded:
              1) Add an entry for a URL (especially useful for clubs)
              2) Add a "box" for listing comments about special event, URL, times,
              frequencies, type of activity, special interests.
              3) Expand the search options to search for keywords in the "box"
              4) Notify the posting group via their listed email address about 30
              days prior to expiration that their entry is about to expire. This
              might be an optional button for those postings which are time
              sensitive and for which the poster wants them to die naturally (i.e.,
              JOTA)
              5) Add a button for KID'S DAY. Of course, item 2 (comments box)
              might greatly simplify the proliferation of buttons. For example,
              groups going hiking during JOTT (Jamboree on The Trail), Scouts
              operating Field Day, or Straight Key Night, Guides On The Air (GOTA),
              etc.

              The Search feature would also overcome the problem some of us have
              now if a Scout group (i.e., Cub Scouts or Venturing/Exploring) posts
              in "Other Youth Group" rather than "Boy Scouts".

              73, Frank KR1ZAN
              Advisor, Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
              Richardson, TX
            • Dan Fisher
              Message 6 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                Bob,

                That's a neat idea, it's cheap and easy, and no license needed!!!

                Dan KG4SDJ

                Bob Bruninga wrote:

                > I took one of the small single channel FRS radios and put it in a tin-can
                > with a tin lid and rubber band around the PTT. Range was about 100
                > yards....

              • AsABat
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
                  > 2) A good on-line self study for the Radio Merit Badge. Text and
                  > fill in the blanks, multiple choice, etc. There are a couple of
                  > sites, including a link off the ARRL page, for some studies. The
                  > site should include various forms to facilitate drawings.
                  > Instructions on how to find a Radio MB counselor.

                  Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
                  merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
                  others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
                  the QSO and visit a ham shack.

                  I have given some Scouts partials at Scout Fair, then mail the last
                  requirement to me for sign off. I also talked with one young ham on
                  the air to complete some requirements. That was a unique way to earn
                  a merit badge!

                  Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                  www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
                  Radio Merit Badge Notes
                • Scott Sarah
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
                    AsABat wrote:

                    > Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
                    > merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
                    > others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
                    > the QSO and visit a ham shack.

                    proving it was done by a registered Radio Merit badge councelor, having
                    the partial/merit badge card, and the signature, and as your said not
                    knowing if hey did it or their parents did it.

                    Scott (Advancement Comittee member of BSA Troop 273 in Stow Ohio)