Re: [Scoutradio] Radios at Camp

  • Dan Fisher
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19 8:05 PM
      Bob,

      Excellent idea! My son Alex (and I) just moved up to Boy Scouts from
      Cubs. He has his license; KG4WMM. I like your "pamphlet," and I will
      print it and recommend it wherever we go. Not to plagiarize you, but if
      we have a single, standard argument, I believe that we will have better
      success in getting radio accepted in camp. It's sort of schizophrenic:
      Scouts and Amateur Radio have this sort-of partnersihp, but the camps
      don't allow Ham radio. BTW, Alex *does* take his HT with him, as do I.

      As a side note, I am doing an Amateur Radio demo at Cub Scout Day Camp
      in Palm Bay FL on May 30 and 31.

      Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
      Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734

      Bob Bruninga wrote:

      > Every year, the subject of Camps prohibiting "radios" comes up.
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 15 , May 20 5:24 AM
        Yes, spread it around!
        Thanks
        I wish I had time to take on BSA National, but too busy.
        You welcome to try...

        Bob

        On Mon, 19 May 2003, Dan Fisher wrote:

        > Bob,
        >
        > Excellent idea! My son Alex (and I) just moved up to Boy Scouts from
        > Cubs. He has his license; KG4WMM. I like your "pamphlet," and I will
        > print it and recommend it wherever we go. Not to plagiarize you, but if
        > we have a single, standard argument, I believe that we will have better
        > success in getting radio accepted in camp. It's sort of schizophrenic:
        > Scouts and Amateur Radio have this sort-of partnersihp, but the camps
        > don't allow Ham radio. BTW, Alex *does* take his HT with him, as do I.
        >
        > As a side note, I am doing an Amateur Radio demo at Cub Scout Day Camp
        > in Palm Bay FL on May 30 and 31.
        >
        > Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
        > Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734
        >
        > Bob Bruninga wrote:
        >
        > > Every year, the subject of Camps prohibiting "radios" comes up.

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        > ScoutRadio start page:

        de WB4APR@..., Bob

        PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
        ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
        CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
        APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
        APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
        MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/
      • Jon Pearl
        Message 3 of 15 , May 20 12:03 PM
          I found it but I ended up doing a search at AC6V.com to get to it.

          Appalachian Trail 2 Meter Repeater Guide v1.2
          http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html

          I'm not sure when it was updated last, but it will provide info to
          reference against the latest ARRL Repeater Directory.

          YIS

          Jon Pearl W4ABC
          Trustee WA4BSA

          --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:
          > My scout troop will be traveling to, and hiking the Appalachian
          trail at the end of this month. We will be on the mid Virginia part
          of the trail. What is the repeater coverage like there? How about
          cell phone? No this is not so we can call home and say 'hi mom were
          on the trail!' But to call for help. Any ideas?

          > 73 Reid KCØIDI
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 15 , May 21 7:34 AM
            MAGNET for your HAM shack in camp:

            We have a central HAM shack (the old trading post)
            at our huge Scout reservation that supports 3 full
            size scout camps. Thus, some boys are close, some
            are quite a hike away.

            We are planning on having an FRS walike-talkie in
            the shack at the operating position so that we can
            chat with boys and invite them in whenever the
            shack is in operation. We will post the FRS channel
            in the dining hall so that boys that are interested
            can tune in and give us a call...

            Or they can listen-in to the bleeps and squawks that
            emminate from the shack! The FRS channel for HAMS
            to meet is of course Channel 7 tone 3. 73!

            See our Shacks-4-Packs web page:

            http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

            de WB4APR, Bob
          • KB3CVS (Tom)
            Message 5 of 15 , May 21 9:40 AM
              Bob - I'm working with a HAM RADIO Venture Crew that used to have a
              repeater at Broadcreek. I may be able to have one once again, I have a
              Maggiore Repeater (Hi Pro Mk II) but it needs a controller, crystals and
              a duplexer. We've been asked if we can get a repeater back up at
              Broadcreek again.

              Let me know if you want the Venture Crew 828 folks to help you anytime -
              I think you can count on their support any way you can use it!

              73,
              -Tom-
              Tom Hendricks

              Bob Bruninga wrote:

              >MAGNET for your HAM shack in camp:
              >
              >We have a central HAM shack (the old trading post)
              >at our huge Scout reservation that supports 3 full
              >size scout camps. Thus, some boys are close, some
              >are quite a hike away.
              >
              >We are planning on having an FRS walike-talkie in
              >the shack at the operating position so that we can
              >chat with boys and invite them in whenever the
              >shack is in operation. We will post the FRS channel
              >in the dining hall so that boys that are interested
              >can tune in and give us a call...
              >
              >Or they can listen-in to the bleeps and squawks that
              >emminate from the shack! The FRS channel for HAMS
              >to meet is of course Channel 7 tone 3. 73!
              >
              >See our Shacks-4-Packs web page:
              >
              > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html
              >
              >de WB4APR, Bob

              >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
              >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

              >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
              >
              >ScoutRadio start page:
              >
              >Post message: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

            • Glen Westbroek
              Message 6 of 15 , May 21 7:54 PM
                My boys and I are all licensed. We had the same problem at camps in Oregon
                and Utah. Educating the staff at one camp meant taking it to the camp
                director. Once they understand the difference, I've found there are less
                problems. Bob's pamphlet will be used at yet two more new camps this
                summer.

                As a side note, twice we have used the radios to help the staff at the camps
                later in the week. Once was to contact the outside because nobody could get
                out on a cell phone. The staff was very happy to learn more about Amateur
                Radio that day:) The other time a staff member was injured and my son and I
                communicated to get help in.

                Glen Westbroek
                KD7LLE
              • AsABat
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
                  --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:
                  > of the trail. What is the repeater coverage like there?

                  I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                  http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                  that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                  the last year.

                  Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                  www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                  Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide
                • Bill Stewart
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                    As far as the Virginia section of the AT is concerned, the repeater coverage is excellent. There are several repeaters that are very nearby the AT. The reason is that several of the peaks
                    along the Blue Ridge Mountain range have microwave towers on top of them usually with repeaters on them. On the Northern Virginia end of the AT I can rcommend the 147.300+
                    machine located near Bluemont, Virginia. It enjoys coverage of most of the northern part of Virginia. I would recommend an HT antenna other than the rubber duck (dummy load)
                    that comes with your radio. If you can get your hands on a telescoping 2m antenna you will experience some amazing propagation and have a little fun, too.

                    73,

                    Bill, W2BSA

                    AsABat wrote:
                    --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

                    of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

                    I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                    http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                    that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                    the last year.

                    Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                    www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                    Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/y6TolB/TM

                  • Jon Blatman, N3VZG, EMT-B
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                      And just think, if the radio dosen't work, you can still use the collapable antenna in any number of ways:

                      Fishing Rod
                      Strecher Handle (might want to bring a pair of antennas "just in case")
                      Scout Prod

                      Jon
                      N3VZG

                      AsABat wrote:
                      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

                      of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

                      I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                      http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                      that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                      the last year.

                      Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                      www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                      Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide