Re: [Scoutradio] OT:Hiking Safety: was Appalachian Trail Communications

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19, 2003
      Agreed completely. Notice, I was assuming that the DAD was the last guy
      acting as trail sweep, and he must be in radio contact with everyone, or
      everyone stops and waits, or goes back.

      ------ original post ---------

      > Although the above didn't mention FRS radios and FRS radios is not at all
      > what you are asking about, I'd like to take this opportunity to stump
      > about how very useful they can be for scouts along the trail.
      >
      > Unless your troop has all licensed hams, FRS is a good way to teach them
      > something useful about radio communications and have fun at the same time.
      >
      > Also people tend to hike at different speeds. (Adults often last) so if
      > every scout or group of scouts has an FRS radio then they can be allowed
      > to walk ahead as long as they maintain radio contact. If they EVER lose
      > radio contact, they must stop. And if after 15 minutes or so they still
      > dont have contact, they have to go back and find the Dads...
      >
      > To force some consistancy, a rule like "Make contact at every PEAK and
      > make contact at the bottom of every valley is a nice way of forcing some
      > regularity. (and learning something about propogation)...
      >
      > just an idea.
      >
      > Bob, WB4APR
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

      > ScoutRadio start page:

      > 73 Reid KCØIDI

      de WB4APR@..., Bob

      PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
      ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
      CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
      APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
      APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
      MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/
    • Dan Fisher
      Message 2 of 15 , May 19, 2003
        Bob,

        Excellent idea! My son Alex (and I) just moved up to Boy Scouts from
        Cubs. He has his license; KG4WMM. I like your "pamphlet," and I will
        print it and recommend it wherever we go. Not to plagiarize you, but if
        we have a single, standard argument, I believe that we will have better
        success in getting radio accepted in camp. It's sort of schizophrenic:
        Scouts and Amateur Radio have this sort-of partnersihp, but the camps
        don't allow Ham radio. BTW, Alex *does* take his HT with him, as do I.

        As a side note, I am doing an Amateur Radio demo at Cub Scout Day Camp
        in Palm Bay FL on May 30 and 31.

        Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
        Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734

        Bob Bruninga wrote:

        > Every year, the subject of Camps prohibiting "radios" comes up.
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 15 , May 20, 2003
          Yes, spread it around!
          Thanks
          I wish I had time to take on BSA National, but too busy.
          You welcome to try...

          Bob

          On Mon, 19 May 2003, Dan Fisher wrote:

          > Bob,
          >
          > Excellent idea! My son Alex (and I) just moved up to Boy Scouts from
          > Cubs. He has his license; KG4WMM. I like your "pamphlet," and I will
          > print it and recommend it wherever we go. Not to plagiarize you, but if
          > we have a single, standard argument, I believe that we will have better
          > success in getting radio accepted in camp. It's sort of schizophrenic:
          > Scouts and Amateur Radio have this sort-of partnersihp, but the camps
          > don't allow Ham radio. BTW, Alex *does* take his HT with him, as do I.
          >
          > As a side note, I am doing an Amateur Radio demo at Cub Scout Day Camp
          > in Palm Bay FL on May 30 and 31.
          >
          > Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
          > Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734
          >
          > Bob Bruninga wrote:
          >
          > > Every year, the subject of Camps prohibiting "radios" comes up.

          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          > ScoutRadio start page:

          de WB4APR@..., Bob

          PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
          ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
          CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
          APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
          APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
          MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/
        • Jon Pearl
          Message 4 of 15 , May 20, 2003
            I found it but I ended up doing a search at AC6V.com to get to it.

            Appalachian Trail 2 Meter Repeater Guide v1.2
            http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html

            I'm not sure when it was updated last, but it will provide info to
            reference against the latest ARRL Repeater Directory.

            YIS

            Jon Pearl W4ABC
            Trustee WA4BSA

            --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:
            > My scout troop will be traveling to, and hiking the Appalachian
            trail at the end of this month. We will be on the mid Virginia part
            of the trail. What is the repeater coverage like there? How about
            cell phone? No this is not so we can call home and say 'hi mom were
            on the trail!' But to call for help. Any ideas?

            > 73 Reid KCØIDI
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 15 , May 21, 2003
              MAGNET for your HAM shack in camp:

              We have a central HAM shack (the old trading post)
              at our huge Scout reservation that supports 3 full
              size scout camps. Thus, some boys are close, some
              are quite a hike away.

              We are planning on having an FRS walike-talkie in
              the shack at the operating position so that we can
              chat with boys and invite them in whenever the
              shack is in operation. We will post the FRS channel
              in the dining hall so that boys that are interested
              can tune in and give us a call...

              Or they can listen-in to the bleeps and squawks that
              emminate from the shack! The FRS channel for HAMS
              to meet is of course Channel 7 tone 3. 73!

              See our Shacks-4-Packs web page:

              http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

              de WB4APR, Bob
            • KB3CVS (Tom)
              Message 6 of 15 , May 21, 2003
                Bob - I'm working with a HAM RADIO Venture Crew that used to have a
                repeater at Broadcreek. I may be able to have one once again, I have a
                Maggiore Repeater (Hi Pro Mk II) but it needs a controller, crystals and
                a duplexer. We've been asked if we can get a repeater back up at
                Broadcreek again.

                Let me know if you want the Venture Crew 828 folks to help you anytime -
                I think you can count on their support any way you can use it!

                73,
                -Tom-
                Tom Hendricks

                Bob Bruninga wrote:

                >MAGNET for your HAM shack in camp:
                >
                >We have a central HAM shack (the old trading post)
                >at our huge Scout reservation that supports 3 full
                >size scout camps. Thus, some boys are close, some
                >are quite a hike away.
                >
                >We are planning on having an FRS walike-talkie in
                >the shack at the operating position so that we can
                >chat with boys and invite them in whenever the
                >shack is in operation. We will post the FRS channel
                >in the dining hall so that boys that are interested
                >can tune in and give us a call...
                >
                >Or they can listen-in to the bleeps and squawks that
                >emminate from the shack! The FRS channel for HAMS
                >to meet is of course Channel 7 tone 3. 73!
                >
                >See our Shacks-4-Packs web page:
                >
                > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html
                >
                >de WB4APR, Bob

                >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                >
                >ScoutRadio start page:
                >
                >Post message: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

              • Glen Westbroek
                Message 7 of 15 , May 21, 2003
                  My boys and I are all licensed. We had the same problem at camps in Oregon
                  and Utah. Educating the staff at one camp meant taking it to the camp
                  director. Once they understand the difference, I've found there are less
                  problems. Bob's pamphlet will be used at yet two more new camps this
                  summer.

                  As a side note, twice we have used the radios to help the staff at the camps
                  later in the week. Once was to contact the outside because nobody could get
                  out on a cell phone. The staff was very happy to learn more about Amateur
                  Radio that day:) The other time a staff member was injured and my son and I
                  communicated to get help in.

                  Glen Westbroek
                  KD7LLE
                • AsABat
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
                    --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:
                    > of the trail. What is the repeater coverage like there?

                    I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                    http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                    that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                    the last year.

                    Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                    www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                    Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide
                  • Bill Stewart
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                      As far as the Virginia section of the AT is concerned, the repeater coverage is excellent. There are several repeaters that are very nearby the AT. The reason is that several of the peaks
                      along the Blue Ridge Mountain range have microwave towers on top of them usually with repeaters on them. On the Northern Virginia end of the AT I can rcommend the 147.300+
                      machine located near Bluemont, Virginia. It enjoys coverage of most of the northern part of Virginia. I would recommend an HT antenna other than the rubber duck (dummy load)
                      that comes with your radio. If you can get your hands on a telescoping 2m antenna you will experience some amazing propagation and have a little fun, too.

                      73,

                      Bill, W2BSA

                      AsABat wrote:
                      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

                      of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

                      I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                      http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                      that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                      the last year.

                      Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                      www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                      Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/y6TolB/TM

                    • Jon Blatman, N3VZG, EMT-B
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                        And just think, if the radio dosen't work, you can still use the collapable antenna in any number of ways:

                        Fishing Rod
                        Strecher Handle (might want to bring a pair of antennas "just in case")
                        Scout Prod

                        Jon
                        N3VZG

                        AsABat wrote:
                        --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

                        of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

                        I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                        http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                        that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                        the last year.

                        Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                        www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                        Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide