FRS Radios at Scout Camp

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 24, 1999
      For the last year, I have been pushing the use of FRS radios in support of
      Scouting. Having just spent the weekend at "Woodsmoke 99", with over
      1000 scouts and scouters, I am modifying my suggestions somewhat from
      lessons learned. Here is a current suggested plan (and open to any
      comments or constructive criticism)...
      SCOUT COMMUNICATIONS: (Draft-1 WB4APR)

      1) BE RADIOACTIVE!

      2) Monitor channel-1. Channel-1, Tone-0 is the SCOUTS CHANNEL.
      When arriving in the woods or to an event, look for others or
      for your buddies here. If it is not too crowded, stay on channel 1
      whenever you are outdoors and looking for others.

      3) Scout camps, jamboree's and other large gatherings should designate
      channel 9 tone 9, as the official LEADERS CHANNEL or event
      calling channel. THe event organizers, VIP's and
      scoutmasters and FIRST AID tent should monitor this channel
      throughout the event for administrative items, logistics,
      emergencies. Keep this channel for ALERTING all leaders to
      changing or evolving events only. Do not use it for routine
      operations (and chatter. Or everyone will stop listening to it).

      4) Designate channel 10, tone 10 as the first general operations
      or staff channel. THis is where they coordinate things
      internally for routine operations as needed.
      By publishing it, then at least other scouts can find it if
      needed and/or they cannot raise anyone on 9/9.

      5) ALL SCOUTS should be taught radio-telephone procedure and courtesy:
      * Always use a callsign. For 500 scouts there are 500
      "DAD's". Agree to your family calls before hand.
      * Do not transmit on a channel until it is clear
      * Do not clog up the channel with play if there are others
      waiting to use it.
      * Follow the scout law: Trustworthy, Helpful, friendly,
      Courteous, and cheerful.
      * To move up in radio to greater range, data, and satellite
      communications, study and earn your Amateur Radio License.

      6) Consider having a "COMMUNICATIONS" session at all scouting events
      where appropriate. Just like knot tying, encampment, cooking,
      artist sportsman, have a session on COMMUNICATIONS (even though
      2-way radio is not even mentioned in the WEBLOS BOOK under that
      chapter!! (and the cover photo is of a kid with headphones on!)

      7) Most legacy CAMP Literature contains a warning telling everyone NOT
      TO BRING RADIOS to camp. Please work wihthin your council to
      re-word this to permit "2-way" radios.

      8) Look for applications of radio fun. Consider a FOX hunt, where the
      fox hides and is required to answer yes/no questions. Use it for
      oreinteering. Have scout patrols report their position by
      compass "bearing" lines from known objects and have others plot
      their locations on the map and then give them "movement orders"
      to the next station. Etc.

      9) Introduce these concepts at your council. Lets get them codified
      into the scouting books and the RADIO merit badges...

      Send comments/suggestions to Bob Bruninga, WB4APR (wb4apr@...).
    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 24, 1999
        Bob,

        Excuse my ignorance, what is a FRS radio?

        Our troop has been using 222 MHz. We have a scout (my
        son) and a scouter (myself) licensed in our troop. We are usually
        control operators so other scouts can get interested in amateur
        radio.

        John Bednar, K3CT
        k3ct@...

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 24, 1999
          On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, John Bednar wrote:

          > Excuse my ignorance, what is a FRS radio?

          The Family Service Radios. Everybody sells them now, not just electronics
          stores... Kmart, Office depot, and even lumber stores. They operate on
          462 and 467 MHz on 14 channels with 38 PL tones, license free... They are
          a great way to get scouts involved in the thrill of .5w 2-way UHF comms
          leading up to amateur radio...

          They cost from $39 to $139 but I only buy them on sale for $29 or less...
          They always go on sale when the next models come in...

          bob
          > > Our troop has been using 222 MHz. We
          have a scout (my > son) and a scouter (myself) licensed in our troop. We
          are usually control operators so other scouts can get interested in
          amateur radio.

          > John Bednar, K3CT
          > k3ct@...

          APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

          Reply mail addr: wb4apr@...
          US mail address: 115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
          See DAYTON97 HISTORY: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
          See Maryland APRS LIVE: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
          See GPS on ANY radio: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html
        • TJ-wd4nhh
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
            I think we ( scouts and scouters ) should stay on CH.7 and below

            because there were alot of early made FRS radios that had only 7 CH's

            and 6 or 7 PL tones , also if you use CH.8 and above you may

            interfer with GMRS Repeters because they are near there inputs Freq.'s .

            There was a very good article about FRS radio's in the October 98

            issue of Nuts & Volts .

            Seeeee Yaaaaa
            T.J. WD4NHH
            wd4nhh@...
            Pack 301 Den 3 Asst. Den Leader

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
              Something I forgot to put in my last message about FRS radios

              is that alot of the cheaper new ones have 14 CH's but have no PL tones .

              Seeee Yaaaaa

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
                The two channel radio's I've seen have channel's 1 & 8 .

                T.J. WD4NHH
                wd4nhh@...

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
                  On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, TJ-wd4nhh wrote Something he forgot to put in his
                  last message about FRS radios:

                  > is that alot of the cheaper new ones have 14 CH's but have no PL tones .

                  Yes, That is why I proposed channel 1 no tone as the calling "fun" channel
                  for scouts at all times... But after my weekend with 1000 cubscouts, I
                  grew weary of the "chatter" and thats why I modified my suggestion so that
                  the leaders could have a more private "back channel". Only the leader
                  needs the ch9/tone9 radio.

                  Also, I noticed that most radios are NOT made for quick QSY or changing
                  tones, so all planing should consider that the leader may need 2 radios,
                  one for his kids and one for the leaders channel...

                  I chose 9/9 simply as a parallel to "CB" channel 9, but if there is any
                  other combination of digits that is "common" in scouting, then I am happy
                  if we choose that instead. Since many "families" and general public may
                  also think in terms of choosing the same CH/TONE combos, then 9/9 may have
                  more QRM from non scouters than if we did something totally off the wall
                  such as 9/15. (dont go above 15 since many radios only offer the first 15
                  tones...)

                  Also, I noticed many 2 channel radios being sold. What is the 2nd
                  channel? We might want to avoid that one too...

                  bob
                • Ray J. Vaughan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
                    At 05:15 PM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
                    >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
                    >I chose 9/9 simply as a parallel to "CB" channel 9, but if there is any
                    >other combination of digits that is "common" in scouting, then I am happy
                    >if we choose that instead. Since many "families" and general public may
                    >also think in terms of choosing the same CH/TONE combos, then 9/9 may have
                    >more QRM from non scouters than if we did something totally off the wall
                    >such as 9/15. (dont go above 15 since many radios only offer the first 15
                    >tones...)

                    Have you thought about an interface to GMRS? If I'm there with my GMRS
                    radio, I can legally talk to FRS users (http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm)
                    on the 462 channels we have in common. Would that be a good choice for the
                    camp HQ maybe? Of course, anyone using the radio in the office would need
                    to get their own GMRS license. Active Scout masters might also want to
                    upgrade. 2 watts of "Come back to camp" on a base antenna would be better
                    than milliwatts.

                    Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                    KD4BBM PG-7-15266
                    http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                    ray@...
                  • Bob Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                      On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Ray J. Vaughan wrote:

                      > Have you thought about an interface to GMRS? If I'm there with my GMRS
                      > radio, I can legally talk to FRS users (http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm)
                      > on the 462 channels we have in common. Would that be a good choice for the
                      > camp HQ maybe?

                      Interesting, yes, I bought eery GMRS radio I could find when Radio Shack
                      closed them out... But I was pretty sure that the "rules" prohibit one
                      service from talking to the other... even though we know they are
                      identical on the 7 interstitial channels. (but the FRS uses 2.5 KHz
                      deviatino and the GMRS uses 5. I find that the GMRS are not frequency
                      stable enough to remain in the passband of the FRS, and thus, the FRS
                      frequently squleches them out...

                      bob
                    • TJ-wd4nhh
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                        GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are

                        inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                          On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, TJ-wd4nhh wrote:

                          > From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
                          >
                          > GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
                          >
                          > inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .

                          Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
                          These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
                          you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
                          they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
                          what you call GMRS...?

                          Or at least that was the way I understood it. My GMRS radios talk fine on
                          the "interstitial" channels with FRS units (except for the difference in
                          deviation and frequency stability...

                          bob
                        • Ray Vaughan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                            At 12:29 PM 10/26/99 -0000, you wrote:
                            >From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
                            >
                            >GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
                            >
                            >inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .
                            >
                            >T.J. WD4NHH
                            >wd4nhh@...

                            True, but GMRS licensees are permitted to use the seven 462 MHz splinters
                            also. And at more power than the FRS users on the same channels. (but not
                            as much as on the regular GMRS channels) There was some question as to
                            GMRS <-> FRS traffic being legal, but there's a Opinion and Order from the
                            FCC approving it. To see this, go to this page:

                            http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm

                            So, as I read it, GMRS licensees CAN communicate with FRS users, but on
                            only 7 channels. The selection of Scout channels might want to take those
                            7 into consideration.

                            Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                            KD4BBM
                            ray@...
                            http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                          • Ray Vaughan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                              At 01:47 PM 10/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
                              >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
                              >Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
                              >These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
                              >you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
                              >they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
                              >what you call GMRS...?

                              To follow up on this a bit more:

                              http://www.dougweb.com/gmrsinter.html

                              This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
                              like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
                              their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
                              need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
                              camp's plan.

                              Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                              KD4BBM
                              ray@...
                              http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                            • Bob Bruninga
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                                2-channel FRS radios on sale this and next week at Best Buy for $49
                                a PAIR! Brand name VOX-BOX (do not have VOX circuits).

                                No PL. Run on 4 AAA's. 500 mw... (max legal power)

                                Not a bad radio for $25 each...

                                Not exactly APRS, but still useful at a special event...

                                de WB4APR, Bob
                              • Bob Bruninga
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 28, 1999
                                  On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Ray Vaughan wrote:

                                  > This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
                                  > like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
                                  > their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
                                  > need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
                                  > camp's plan.

                                  Good point. I guess then channel 7? Who cares about "channel-9"
                                  anyway... it was only a vague reeerence to CB... and I am happy to
                                  distance ourselves from CB as much as possible.

                                  ALSO, I find it bad that all the documents in the FRS packages offer
                                  NOTHING IN THE WAY OF USER EDUCATION about how to use a radio and proper
                                  radiotelephone technique...

                                  At the beach, you hear "DADDY", then "DADDY! WHere are you !"
                                  Ie, no callsigns....

                                  I think the docs shouls "suggest to users the use of personal callsigns"

                                  bob