Appalachian Trail Communications

  • Reid Crowe
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19, 2003
      My scout troop will be traveling to, and hiking the Appalachian trail at the end of this month.  We will be on the mid Virginia part of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there? How about cell phone?  No this is not so we can call home and say 'hi mom were on the trail!' But to call for help.  Any ideas?

      73 Reid KC�IDI
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 15 , May 19, 2003
        > My scout troop will be traveling to, and hiking the Appalachian trail at
        > the end of this month. We will be on the mid Virginia part of the
        > trail.
        > ... Any ideas?

        Although the above didn't mention FRS radios and FRS radios is not at all
        what you are asking about, I'd like to take this opportunity to stump
        about how very useful they can be for scouts along the trail.

        Unless your troop has all licensed hams, FRS is a good way to teach them
        something useful about radio communications and have fun at the same time.

        Also people tend to hike at different speeds. (Adults often last) so if
        every scout or group of scouts has an FRS radio then they can be allowed
        to walk ahead as long as they maintain radio contact. If they EVER lose
        radio contact, they must stop. And if after 15 minutes or so they still
        dont have contact, they have to go back and find the Dads...

        To force some consistancy, a rule like "Make contact at every PEAK and
        make contact at the bottom of every valley is a nice way of forcing some
        regularity. (and learning something about propogation)...

        just an idea.

        Bob, WB4APR
      • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
        Message 3 of 15 , May 19, 2003
          Hi Reid.

          There's actually a web page out there somewhere that's devoted to AR and the AT.  I've got to hit the road here for a little bit but I'll see if I don't have the URL tucked away (amongst a thousand of AR URL's) on my other computer.  This might inspire the group to hit a search engine or two if I come up dry!

          73,

          Jon Pearl - W4ABC
          Trustee - WA4BSA
          Message 4 of 15 , May 19, 2003
            Every year, the subject of Camps prohibiting "radios" comes up.

            Its time to educate your camp to change its sentence included in all camp
            materials that outright prohibits "all electronics and all radios" to
            something more meaningful such as "no electronics toys, boom boxes, music
            players or radios are allowed other than 2-way radios with a ham license
            or "radio-chit"... You can earn your radio chit at camp.

            In my opinion, radios such as FRS or HAM radios should be not only allowed
            but encouraged at camp UNDER ONE CONDITION. Just like the whittling chip,
            a scout must show that he konws how to operate and WILL operate a radio
            responsibly before he can use it at camp. And he must choose a callsign
            and and use it at all times.

            See my SCOUTING FRS GUIDELINES:
            http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

            Having a HAM license is an automatic "Radio Chip" Otherwise a kid has to
            demonstrate knowledge and adherece to the 10 points of the SCOUTING FRS
            RADIO CODE (see web page)...

            * Radios at camp are good! (properly used)
            * Radios as a kid's toy at camp are BAD! because it lets them learn bad
            radio habits.

            de WB4APR, Bob
          • Reid Crowe
            Message 5 of 15 , May 19, 2003
              Bob, now you got me on my safety soap box.  I was taught never, ever, ever, ever leave any one behind!  If you have a slow hiker you should put him in front.  I have seen other troops out hiking, first is the large group then the the middle and an half an hour later you see the last guy.  I ask every one that does hike with their troop to put this rule in effect.  Although it may slow some of the guys down.  FRS radios get lost, dropped or broken; but with this method you keep your group together.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 19, 2003
                Agreed completely. Notice, I was assuming that the DAD was the last guy
                acting as trail sweep, and he must be in radio contact with everyone, or
                everyone stops and waits, or goes back.

                ------ original post ---------

                > Although the above didn't mention FRS radios and FRS radios is not at all
                > what you are asking about, I'd like to take this opportunity to stump
                > about how very useful they can be for scouts along the trail.
                >
                > Unless your troop has all licensed hams, FRS is a good way to teach them
                > something useful about radio communications and have fun at the same time.
                >
                > Also people tend to hike at different speeds. (Adults often last) so if
                > every scout or group of scouts has an FRS radio then they can be allowed
                > to walk ahead as long as they maintain radio contact. If they EVER lose
                > radio contact, they must stop. And if after 15 minutes or so they still
                > dont have contact, they have to go back and find the Dads...
                >
                > To force some consistancy, a rule like "Make contact at every PEAK and
                > make contact at the bottom of every valley is a nice way of forcing some
                > regularity. (and learning something about propogation)...
                >
                > just an idea.
                >
                > Bob, WB4APR
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                > ScoutRadio start page:

                > 73 Reid KCØIDI

                de WB4APR@..., Bob

                PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
                ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
                CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
                APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
                APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
                MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/
              • Dan Fisher
                Message 7 of 15 , May 19, 2003
                  Bob,

                  Excellent idea! My son Alex (and I) just moved up to Boy Scouts from
                  Cubs. He has his license; KG4WMM. I like your "pamphlet," and I will
                  print it and recommend it wherever we go. Not to plagiarize you, but if
                  we have a single, standard argument, I believe that we will have better
                  success in getting radio accepted in camp. It's sort of schizophrenic:
                  Scouts and Amateur Radio have this sort-of partnersihp, but the camps
                  don't allow Ham radio. BTW, Alex *does* take his HT with him, as do I.

                  As a side note, I am doing an Amateur Radio demo at Cub Scout Day Camp
                  in Palm Bay FL on May 30 and 31.

                  Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
                  Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                    Yes, spread it around!
                    Thanks
                    I wish I had time to take on BSA National, but too busy.
                    You welcome to try...

                    Bob

                    On Mon, 19 May 2003, Dan Fisher wrote:

                    > Bob,
                    >
                    > Excellent idea! My son Alex (and I) just moved up to Boy Scouts from
                    > Cubs. He has his license; KG4WMM. I like your "pamphlet," and I will
                    > print it and recommend it wherever we go. Not to plagiarize you, but if
                    > we have a single, standard argument, I believe that we will have better
                    > success in getting radio accepted in camp. It's sort of schizophrenic:
                    > Scouts and Amateur Radio have this sort-of partnersihp, but the camps
                    > don't allow Ham radio. BTW, Alex *does* take his HT with him, as do I.
                    >
                    > As a side note, I am doing an Amateur Radio demo at Cub Scout Day Camp
                    > in Palm Bay FL on May 30 and 31.
                    >
                    > Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
                    > Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734
                    >
                    > Bob Bruninga wrote:
                    >
                    > > Every year, the subject of Camps prohibiting "radios" comes up.

                    > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                    > ScoutRadio start page:

                    de WB4APR@..., Bob

                    PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
                    ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
                    CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
                    APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
                    APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
                    MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/
                  • Jon Pearl
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                      I found it but I ended up doing a search at AC6V.com to get to it.

                      Appalachian Trail 2 Meter Repeater Guide v1.2
                      http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html

                      I'm not sure when it was updated last, but it will provide info to
                      reference against the latest ARRL Repeater Directory.

                      YIS

                      Jon Pearl W4ABC
                      Trustee WA4BSA

                      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:
                      > My scout troop will be traveling to, and hiking the Appalachian
                      trail at the end of this month. We will be on the mid Virginia part
                      of the trail. What is the repeater coverage like there? How about
                      cell phone? No this is not so we can call home and say 'hi mom were
                      on the trail!' But to call for help. Any ideas?

                      > 73 Reid KCØIDI
                    • Bob Bruninga
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 21, 2003
                        MAGNET for your HAM shack in camp:

                        We have a central HAM shack (the old trading post)
                        at our huge Scout reservation that supports 3 full
                        size scout camps. Thus, some boys are close, some
                        are quite a hike away.

                        We are planning on having an FRS walike-talkie in
                        the shack at the operating position so that we can
                        chat with boys and invite them in whenever the
                        shack is in operation. We will post the FRS channel
                        in the dining hall so that boys that are interested
                        can tune in and give us a call...

                        Or they can listen-in to the bleeps and squawks that
                        emminate from the shack! The FRS channel for HAMS
                        to meet is of course Channel 7 tone 3. 73!

                        See our Shacks-4-Packs web page:

                        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                        de WB4APR, Bob
                      • KB3CVS (Tom)
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 21, 2003
                          Bob - I'm working with a HAM RADIO Venture Crew that used to have a
                          repeater at Broadcreek. I may be able to have one once again, I have a
                          Maggiore Repeater (Hi Pro Mk II) but it needs a controller, crystals and
                          a duplexer. We've been asked if we can get a repeater back up at
                          Broadcreek again.

                          Let me know if you want the Venture Crew 828 folks to help you anytime -
                          I think you can count on their support any way you can use it!

                          73,
                          -Tom-
                          Tom Hendricks

                          Bob Bruninga wrote:

                          >MAGNET for your HAM shack in camp:
                          >
                          >We have a central HAM shack (the old trading post)
                          >at our huge Scout reservation that supports 3 full
                          >size scout camps. Thus, some boys are close, some
                          >are quite a hike away.
                          >
                          >We are planning on having an FRS walike-talkie in
                          >the shack at the operating position so that we can
                          >chat with boys and invite them in whenever the
                          >shack is in operation. We will post the FRS channel
                          >in the dining hall so that boys that are interested
                          >can tune in and give us a call...
                          >
                          >Or they can listen-in to the bleeps and squawks that
                          >emminate from the shack! The FRS channel for HAMS
                          >to meet is of course Channel 7 tone 3. 73!
                          >
                          >See our Shacks-4-Packs web page:
                          >
                          > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html
                          >
                          >de WB4APR, Bob

                          >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                          >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                          >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                          >
                          >ScoutRadio start page:
                          >
                          >Post message: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

                        • Glen Westbroek
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 21, 2003
                            My boys and I are all licensed. We had the same problem at camps in Oregon
                            and Utah. Educating the staff at one camp meant taking it to the camp
                            director. Once they understand the difference, I've found there are less
                            problems. Bob's pamphlet will be used at yet two more new camps this
                            summer.

                            As a side note, twice we have used the radios to help the staff at the camps
                            later in the week. Once was to contact the outside because nobody could get
                            out on a cell phone. The staff was very happy to learn more about Amateur
                            Radio that day:) The other time a staff member was injured and my son and I
                            communicated to get help in.

                            Glen Westbroek
                            KD7LLE
                          • AsABat
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
                              --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:
                              > of the trail. What is the repeater coverage like there?

                              I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                              http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                              that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                              the last year.

                              Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                              www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                              Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide
                            • Bill Stewart
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                                As far as the Virginia section of the AT is concerned, the repeater coverage is excellent. There are several repeaters that are very nearby the AT. The reason is that several of the peaks
                                along the Blue Ridge Mountain range have microwave towers on top of them usually with repeaters on them. On the Northern Virginia end of the AT I can rcommend the 147.300+
                                machine located near Bluemont, Virginia. It enjoys coverage of most of the northern part of Virginia. I would recommend an HT antenna other than the rubber duck (dummy load)
                                that comes with your radio. If you can get your hands on a telescoping 2m antenna you will experience some amazing propagation and have a little fun, too.

                                73,

                                Bill, W2BSA

                                AsABat wrote:
                                --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

                                of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

                                I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                                http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                                that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                                the last year.

                                Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                                www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                                Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide

                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/y6TolB/TM

                              • Jon Blatman, N3VZG, EMT-B
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                                  And just think, if the radio dosen't work, you can still use the collapable antenna in any number of ways:

                                  Fishing Rod
                                  Strecher Handle (might want to bring a pair of antennas "just in case")
                                  Scout Prod

                                  Jon
                                  N3VZG

                                  AsABat wrote:
                                  --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

                                  of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

                                  I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
                                  http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
                                  that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
                                  the last year.

                                  Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                                  www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
                                  Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide