Re: [Scoutradio] youth scouting/radio web pages

  • davifish@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19, 2003
      ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young people
      pertaining to ham radio.  This would be people who are not hams and
      just "surfing" around on the web and maybe looking for something to
      tell (or show) just why they should be interested in ham radio.

      At this point I am taking any ideas from coloring pages and games to
      fill in the blank or crossword puzzles.  The major thing is to appeal
      to young people.

      When we say young people, I mean ranging from early grade school to
      high school.  I am taking any suggestions at this point, but I
      realize eventually we will have to break down the pages into age
      categories.  (If you have something you want to send me in the mail,
      feel free.  I will be glad to give you my address.

      Also, I am looking to make a list of ham/scout activities.  This
      would be something like would be set up for a camporee as one of the
      events.  I'm not sure how to explain it but it would be something
      like a competition, or timed event.  But remember the scouts would
      only be there for maybe 15 minutes.  I don't see how actually talking
      on the radio could be one because the scouts may come in groups so it
      should be something they can all work on together to get to one
      goal.  For instance.....putting the antenna up.  Any ideas?

      Jean

    • kr1zan
      Message 2 of 15 , May 19, 2003
        --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
        > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
        people
        > pertaining to ham radio. This would be people who are not hams and
        > just "surfing" around on the web and maybe looking for something to
        > tell (or show) just why they should be interested in ham radio.

        <<<<< Rest of Message Snipped Out >>>>>
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Jean

        1) How about some hidden words puzzles? These can be created for
        different age groups. You know: the ones with words forwards,
        backwards, at diagonoals. Could include the words of the Phonetic
        Alphabet. Others could be Ham buzz-words.

        2) A good on-line self study for the Radio Merit Badge. Text and
        fill in the blanks, multiple choice, etc. There are a couple of
        sites, including a link off the ARRL page, for some studies. The
        site should include various forms to facilitate drawings.
        Instructions on how to find a Radio MB counselor.

        3) How about some map games? If you are at VK7 and hear a station
        with a bearing of xxx degrees and Bob is in 4S7 and hears the staton
        with a bearing of xxx degrees, where is the unknown station?

        A station you talk with is at lat xx deg xx min, lon xx deg xx min.
        What prefix(es) might the station have? Or, what country is this?

        You live in Dallas, TX and want to talk with Australia. In what
        direction would you point your beam?

        4) How about an Internet search challenge? Some URLs are suggested
        or keywords are mentioned for use with search engines. Some
        questions need answers from the located web sites. Get the correct
        answers and you are eligible to purchase a Ham Radio Savvy patch (or
        pin) from 1) the ARRL, 2) some other sponsoring group

        5) How about some coloring pages that can be printed or used with
        Microsoft Paint? These could be old JOTA patches, cute Scouting or
        youth drawings, etc. emphasizing some aspect of Ham Radio.

        6) I like Bob Bruninga's suggestion of Morse Code. Maybe use
        HamScope software, a PC, microphone and a CPO for a demo.
        Scouts/participants try sending Morse Code for spell their name.
        Give them an award when they do -- a circular adhesive patch/name tag
        with something like "ASK ME ABOUT CW", or "CW OP"

        7) Cross word puzzles are always good.

        8) Good ideas for Science Fair projects. Everyone likes going to a
        web page and getting solutions. Could even be a place for others to
        post their science fair projects (photo, description, parts list,
        etc.)

        9) A challenge to tune in a listen to AM clear channel broadcast
        stations. Provide a call sign, frequency, program content, city,
        state list and instructions on how to listen, when to listen, how to
        log, how to send for QSL cards, etc.

        10) Info on basics of scanners: equipment, frequencies, books, web
        sites, clubs, etc.

        I'm sure I'll think of more as others comment and I have more time.

        Good idea Jean.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Advisor, Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
        Richardson, TX
      • Dan Fisher
        Message 3 of 15 , May 19, 2003
          At our Spring District Camporee, we did an Emergency Preparedness
          program that involved Amateur Radio.One of the things we did was a
          "rabbit hunt" with some DF equipment provided by one of the members of
          our club. That was a big hit with the boys who were involved with it.

          Dan KG4SDJ
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 15 , May 20, 2003
            On Mon, 19 May 2003, Dan Fisher wrote:

            > At our Spring District Camporee, .... we did ... a "rabbit hunt" with
            > some DF equipment provided by one of the members of our club. That was a
            > big hit with the boys who were involved with it.

            I took one of the small single channel FRS radios and put it in a tin-can
            with a tin lid and rubber band around the PTT. Range was about 100 yards.

            Then handed out FRS radios to a bunch of kids and said go find it.
            Be sure to lecture them on the Body Blockage way to DF and give a
            talk about SQUELCHES, and noise and FM quieting and the MON button..

            To make the tin can RF proof, I actually took two tin can (dog food) and
            cut 1 inch kerfs in the second one so that it could be forced down over
            the first one. This not only provides an RF colsure, but also makes the
            cans long enough to hold the HT and its fixed antenna.

            de WB4APR, Bob
            .
          • kr1zan
            Message 5 of 15 , May 20, 2003
              --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
              > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
              people
              > pertaining to ham radio. This would be people who are not hams and
              > just "surfing" around on the web and maybe looking for something to
              > tell (or show) just why they should be interested in ham radio.
              >
              > At this point I am taking any ideas from coloring pages and games
              > For instance.....putting the antenna up. Any ideas?
              > <<<<<<< Rest of message snipped out >>>>>>
              > Jean

              Jean,

              Another idea: How about the Archie Comic Book "on line"? Since it's
              not being published anymore (?), why not make it available in a
              convenient JPEG format in chapters for anyone to view?

              And, either at the end or as an optional chapter, invite viewers to
              become members of the on-line Archie Amateur Radio Club. They might
              then get a monthly, short newsletter from Archie telling a little
              about Ham Radio, fun things to do with Ham Radio, some interesting
              web sites, a game or two, maybe even localize it to announce local
              clubs, maybe call it "Archie's RadioGram". The RadioGram should have
              a convenient "button" to allow anyone receiving it to "opt out" of
              receiving it.

              OR, publish the RadioGram on line and invite viewers to bookmark the
              site and return often. The RadioGram should be at the elementary
              school level, shouldn't focus on technical stuff, kinda be like the
              Weekly Reader. Invite contributions from readers. It could have
              feature stories like ISS Crew Talks Over Ham Radio, Ham Radio to the
              Rescue, Ham Radio at the Boston Marathon. These kind of stories link
              to events that youth will be aware of and interested in. Even a
              story on DXpeditions, but from the curious side: photos of penguins,
              palm trees, lavish beaches, operators perched on a rock, climbing a
              palm tree, etc.

              The RadioGram should be written so a 6th grader could read it in less
              than 7 minutes. For older youth, parents and others who are
              interested, include some URLs for further reading and study.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
                > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
                people
                > pertaining to ham radio.
                <<<<<<<< Rest of message snipped out >>>>>>>>>
                > Any ideas?
                >
                > Jean

                It's raining here in Dallas, so I guess I'm relegated to thinking
                about the youth web site !!

                1) Schematic symbol matching game. A schematic symbol or word is
                shown along with 4 possible answers. The user selects an answer and
                is told RIGHT or WRONG. Maybe make this similar to the "Receiving
                Game" on Morse Academy. If WRONG, show the correct answer, then re-
                ask the same question. At the end of a series of questions (number
                of questions or period of time), display a score # Correct, #
                Incorrect, Total Time for Game. It's a personal challenge to get
                done quickly, and faster, each time the game is played.

                2) How about a list, with pictures and a brief description, of all
                the things we use in our lives that incorporate RADIO. i.e.,
                television, cell phones, cordless phones, wireless internet
                connections, garage door openers, satellites and satellite TV, CB,
                FRS, wireless doorbells, AM and FM radio, radar, ship to shore
                telephone, GPS, etc.

                3) What time is it in? A simple discussion and game in which the
                user is asked to predict what time (and what day) it is in various
                countries. Possibly include a chart showing +/- for GMT, how to
                calculate local time, maybe even a map. Along with the game, could
                even include a table or map with real time clocks in various time
                zones or countries.

                4) How about a few real time audio links to some repeaters around the
                country? Maybe an internet "scanner" which could provide audio, show
                the call sign, city, frequency, etc. of the repeater being listened
                to. OR, these could be some pre-recorded conversations.

                5) How about some trading cards of famous people who are/were hams.
                Photo, call sign, city, state, country, background info, small map of
                world showing location of country. These would be printable images
                that can be viewed on line, but also printed and traded, if users
                wanted to.

                That's it for now. Hope everyone is having a great day. I keep
                hoping others will list some more ideas or comment on ones that have
                been posted thus far.

                73, Frank KR1ZAN
                Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
                Richardson, TX
              • Jean
                Message 7 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                  Thanks for all the good suggestions....from all of you. Just keep
                  sending them to me. I don't know how long it will take for the youth
                  page to become a reality, but I know I'm are working on the "ground
                  work." I appreciate all the good ideas! Thanks!

                • kr1zan
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                    --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
                    > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
                    people
                    > pertaining to ham radio.

                    <<<<<<< Snip ... Snip >>>>>>>

                    > Also, I am looking to make a list of ham/scout activities. This
                    > would be something like would be set up for a camporee as one of
                    the
                    > events.

                    <<<<<<< Snip ... Snip >>>>>>>

                    >Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Jean

                    A game we've had fun with teaches the basics of operating on a radio,
                    the concept of a net control, teamwork, map reading and paying
                    attention to what's going on during a net.

                    Each participant (or team) is provided with a radio (FRS or amateur
                    radio; one member of the team must be licensed or a licensed Advisor
                    is provided). Each participant (or team) is given an identical map
                    (a world map, or state map, or city map, or map of the camp).

                    Participants are briefed on call signs, how to call someone, IDing,
                    what a "net" is, what a Net Control is, very basic net procedures,
                    operating courtesies, etc.

                    One station, starts with an Advisor and later is the winner of a
                    previous game, is the Fox. The scenario states that the Fox's
                    transmitter has been damaged before he/she could tell us where he/she
                    is located. BUT, one button on the DTMF pad still works and the Fox
                    can send some simple characters in Morse Code. The Fox knows N for
                    NO, Y for YES, and ? for I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION.

                    Participants are told they may ask questions according to basic rules
                    (either in turn or by calling NCS). The NCS allows them to call the
                    Fox and ask a question which can be answered by N or Y. Each station
                    gets only one chance during a "round" to ask a question. If the
                    question can't be answered by yes or no, the Fox sends ?

                    Examples: The Fox is in New Zealand
                    1) Are you North of the Equator? N
                    2) Are you in South America? N
                    3) Are you in Africa? N
                    4) Are you in Australia? N
                    5) Are you in the Atlantic Ocean? N
                    6) Are you in the Pacific Ocean? Y
                    7) Are you in New Zealand? Y *** WINNER ***

                    Of course, the youth will get very creative with questions about
                    latitude and longitude. The Fox will often choose some exotic island
                    or small town (if using a state map) or some short street on a city
                    map.

                    A variation of this is to hide the Fox on the campsite and give
                    answers as above, but the hunters are on foot and ask questions about
                    location on the camp, information relative to the Fox's unknown site
                    (i.e., can you see outside?, can you see the dining room?, are you
                    near a lake or body of water?). The story about the Fox can be
                    embellished with something like a small plane has crashed on the
                    camp. The pilot is injured but has a radio. The microphone is
                    busted but a tone button still works. The pilot can hear people
                    calling but can only send Y or N or ? (unfortunately he only
                    completed course #1 of the Morse Code Course !!).

                    Obviously, as the hunters get close to the Fox, they can also use
                    some basic RDF concepts to home in on the Fox. Once found, the
                    victors become the next Fox.

                    73, Frank KR1ZAN
                    Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
                    Richardson, TX
                  • kr1zan
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
                      > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
                      people
                      > pertaining to ham radio.

                      <<<<<<<<< Snip ... Snip >>>>>>>>

                      >Any ideas?
                      >
                      > Jean

                      Jean,

                      Comment on the Youth Sked's Database:
                      http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/

                      I like the Youth Sked's Database, but, I'd like to see it expanded:
                      1) Add an entry for a URL (especially useful for clubs)
                      2) Add a "box" for listing comments about special event, URL, times,
                      frequencies, type of activity, special interests.
                      3) Expand the search options to search for keywords in the "box"
                      4) Notify the posting group via their listed email address about 30
                      days prior to expiration that their entry is about to expire. This
                      might be an optional button for those postings which are time
                      sensitive and for which the poster wants them to die naturally (i.e.,
                      JOTA)
                      5) Add a button for KID'S DAY. Of course, item 2 (comments box)
                      might greatly simplify the proliferation of buttons. For example,
                      groups going hiking during JOTT (Jamboree on The Trail), Scouts
                      operating Field Day, or Straight Key Night, Guides On The Air (GOTA),
                      etc.

                      The Search feature would also overcome the problem some of us have
                      now if a Scout group (i.e., Cub Scouts or Venturing/Exploring) posts
                      in "Other Youth Group" rather than "Boy Scouts".

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 20, 2003
                        Bob,

                        That's a neat idea, it's cheap and easy, and no license needed!!!

                        Dan KG4SDJ

                        Bob Bruninga wrote:

                        > I took one of the small single channel FRS radios and put it in a tin-can
                        > with a tin lid and rubber band around the PTT. Range was about 100
                        > yards....

                      • AsABat
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
                          > 2) A good on-line self study for the Radio Merit Badge. Text and
                          > fill in the blanks, multiple choice, etc. There are a couple of
                          > sites, including a link off the ARRL page, for some studies. The
                          > site should include various forms to facilitate drawings.
                          > Instructions on how to find a Radio MB counselor.

                          Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
                          merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
                          others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
                          the QSO and visit a ham shack.

                          I have given some Scouts partials at Scout Fair, then mail the last
                          requirement to me for sign off. I also talked with one young ham on
                          the air to complete some requirements. That was a unique way to earn
                          a merit badge!

                          Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                          www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
                          Radio Merit Badge Notes
                        • Scott Sarah
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
                            AsABat wrote:

                            > Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
                            > merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
                            > others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
                            > the QSO and visit a ham shack.

                            proving it was done by a registered Radio Merit badge councelor, having
                            the partial/merit badge card, and the signature, and as your said not
                            knowing if hey did it or their parents did it.

                            Scott (Advancement Comittee member of BSA Troop 273 in Stow Ohio)