Re: JOTA Database

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13 1:52 PM
      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
      > We had a great deal of JOTA success as a result of hams who
      > registered their JOTA event. I would like to encourage you to do
      it
      > again. Creating this database makes it much easier for others to
      > find JOTA activities near them.

      In addition, don't forget to promote JOTA at local gatherings of
      Scout leaders. In the US, this takes two forms:

      1. In June or the summer months, most Boy Scout Councils conduct
      a "Program Kickoff" for their adult leaders. There they get ideas of
      events for their troops to include in their calendar of activities.

      Hams should prepare an interesting display of Amateur Radio
      equipment, JOTA patches and give out flyers explaining who to contact
      locally about participating in JOTA. The Delaware Valley Radio
      Association (W2ZQ) has done this for a number of years at the Central
      New Jersey Council's kick-off. We will be doing it again on June 14th
      this year. Contact your local Boy Scout council to participate.

      2. Make sure you also hand out the local flyers at the
      September "District Rountable". These monthly meetings of the adult
      leaders from all the troops in your area are a great way to get
      message out again.

      This way you can get your message to dozens of troops at a time!

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Former District Roundtable Commissioner
      DVRA PIO
    • Jean
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
        We had a great deal of JOTA success as a result of hams who
        registered their JOTA event. I would like to encourage you to do it
        again. Creating this database makes it much easier for others to
        find JOTA activities near them.

        Please register your JOTA activity at
        http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/ Click on "add a sked
        listing." Click "JOTA" and enter your information.

        As I get requests, I will point them to that page so please register
        ASAP. (You can set the expiration for the day after JOTA (October
        20.) Please consider inviting boy scouts and girl scouts. I know this
        will help many more scouting groups participate in JOTA 2003.

        Thanks for your help.

        Jean Wolfgang, WB3IOS
        ARRL Field & Educational Services