Re: [Scoutradio] Re: 20 Meter JOTA CW and PSK31 Conflict

  • Malcolm - G4CXT
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28, 2003
      I would support this point of view. I took radio to one camp which had a
      "spy theme" - when I offered to operate CW as a "special agent" you
      couldn't get near the radio for the number of kids crowding round to
      witness it! Granted, they hadn't a clue what was being said, but to say
      they were intrigued would be an understatement!

      Its this kind of curiosity which ham radio plays to in adults & children
      alike - and if CW or PSK31 is what gets them to ask "I wonder if I could do
      that" then its mission accomplished in my view ... provided you have the
      means to feed that curiosity, of course.

      The only issue we have is that the published "Scout frequencies" show a CW
      calling frequency of 14.070MHz. Where you actually operate of course is
      entirely up to you. I suspect that precious few Scout to Scout CW QSOs
      result from random calling (and listening) on 14.070. In fact, I've NEVER
      listened there for any calls, and seldom operate above 14.060 MHz in any
      case! In practice therefore I think we are talking about a problem which is
      most unlikely to occur and if it does which is easily fixed.

      Despite this there is a case in my view for publishing an alternative Scout
      calling frequency (eg 14.067 MHz) - and this can only come from the
      auspices of WOSM to avoid any accusation of conflict with the now
      recognised & established PSK31 slot at 14.0725 MHz

      73

      Malcolm - G4CXT
      ADC(Scouts) - Woodbridge

      At , you wrote:
      >Hi John,
      >
      >I would respectfully disagree with your statements regarding the use
      >of CW. CW IS available to Technicians. Look at the bandplans. All VHF
      >and UHF allocations have sub bands for CW and SSB and Technicians
      >have full rights and privileges in these areas. Just because CW is
      >not required for a Tech license does not mean it cannot be used.
      >
      >I have given Ham radio demonstrations to my wife's Girl Scout troop,
      >of which my daughter is a member. The kids were so interested in
      >using the oscillator that they would sneak back from the other
      >activities to practice sending. Kids love secret code type stuff and
      >CW seems like that to them.
      >
      >In addition, many children who enter Ham radio feel intimidated by
      >talking to adults on repeaters or HF. CW is a great equalizer in this
      >regard.
      >
      >So please reconsider your view on the use of CW.
      >
      >Best Regards,
      >Rick, KB1FLR
    • kr1zan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2003
        Hi all,

        I would argue that you're both correct. CW "demonstrations" are a
        lot of fun for the kids, especially when it's a no pressure personal
        challenge. When CW is used for an actual on the air contact, the
        Scouts have no practical idea what's going on, they're spectators,
        not actual participants. They must take you at your word that the
        beeps and bonks truly represent what they asked you to send. It's
        kinda like watching a rock grow. I like the use of voice or keyboard
        for Scout to Scout contacts.

        Similar to CW GET that the ARRL used at a teacher's workshop, we
        often use HamScope or some other tools so the kids can try sending
        Morse and the computer interprets what they're sending. This is
        especially useful when you don't have operators who are skilled at CW
        themselves. A computer off to the side can be a lot of fun for kids
        to try -- send their name, etc.

        I would advocate that we get rid of the "calling frequencies" list
        and recommend the use of Technician, Tech Plus and General Class
        portions of the bands for JOTA. For other Scouting events, use
        whatever prearranged frequency makes sense for the two groups.
        The "calling frequencies" invariably fall on an existing QSO or Net.

        In the end, it all boils down to what equipment you have, what
        license class you have and what skills you have. Then, do the best
        to demo Ham Radio and get the Scouts on the air. When we have some
        bureaucracy dictating the frequencies to use and we get too wrapped
        up in the legalities then it stops being fun and the kids suffer. A
        lot of Hams I know are scared away from JOTA and Radio Scouting
        because of the guidelines (for those who are old hands at JOTA, etc.,
        take a look at the WOSM Radio Scouting pages, or the ARRL JOTA pages,
        and you'll see lots of words, which aren't needed for a local third
        party FM repeater contact). I usually work with them to make contact
        on a local repeater or simplex VHF/UHF frequency -- and we all have
        fun.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Advisor Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
        Garland, TX

        --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "kb1flr" <kb1flr@h...> wrote:
        > Hi John,
        >
        > I would respectfully disagree with your statements regarding the
        use
        > of CW. CW IS available to Technicians. Look at the bandplans. All
        VHF
        > and UHF allocations have sub bands for CW and SSB and Technicians
        > have full rights and privileges in these areas. Just because CW is
        > not required for a Tech license does not mean it cannot be used.

        <<<<< Rest of message(s) snipped out >>>>>