Re: 20 Meter JOTA CW and PSK31 Conflict

  • kb1flr
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28 12:28 PM
      Hi John,

      I would respectfully disagree with your statements regarding the use
      of CW. CW IS available to Technicians. Look at the bandplans. All VHF
      and UHF allocations have sub bands for CW and SSB and Technicians
      have full rights and privileges in these areas. Just because CW is
      not required for a Tech license does not mean it cannot be used.

      I have given Ham radio demonstrations to my wife's Girl Scout troop,
      of which my daughter is a member. The kids were so interested in
      using the oscillator that they would sneak back from the other
      activities to practice sending. Kids love secret code type stuff and
      CW seems like that to them.

      In addition, many children who enter Ham radio feel intimidated by
      talking to adults on repeaters or HF. CW is a great equalizer in this
      regard.

      So please reconsider your view on the use of CW.

      Best Regards,
      Rick, KB1FLR
      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Kd5inm@a... wrote:

      > I don't think CW should be used during JOTA. I think we as Hams
      should
      > focus on aspects of the hobby that are available to a Technician
      class
      > license. It's kinda ignorant to show them aspects of the hobby in
      which they
      > will have no involvement in with the ENTRY LEVEL TICKET. Show them
      what THEY
      > can accomplish in a reasonable time, only the ones who really have
      an
      > interest in CW will persue CW after JOTA, the rest won't/can't see
      themselves
      > doing it, it's not beneficial to Ham radio or the scouts to
      demonstrate CW.
      > This is the problem with all the times Amateur radio is shown to
      the
      > public, some folks do not think about what they are doing. They
      should
      > demonstrate modes or bands that the scouts will get with the first
      license
      > they get, (which I'm afraid to pop everyone's bubble), but it's not
      gonna be
      > 99% of the time a license that gives them access to CW bands on HF.
      > JOTA should be a time that we teach the scouts, and show them
      what is
      > possible with some time spent studying(35 question test), and all
      the fun
      > they will have BREAKING NEW GROUND. HF is old, it is well
      established, we
      > basically know what it's gonna do, how it propagates, heck,
      sometimes we can
      > even predict it, but when you get into microwaves and other aspects
      of the
      > frequencies they get with the Technician class license, there is
      plenty of
      > room to actually do something that no other Ham has done before.
      For
      > instance, set a distance record, or complete a DX QSO when it was
      before
      > thought impossible. PSK31 and other digital modes that have gained
      use in HF
      > because it is something new , one of the few things "New" done at
      HF in
      > years. The thing is that folks forget, PSK31 and like digital modes
      aren't
      > just HF modes, they work anyplace, on ANY band, not just HF, some
      folks
      > forget that, other bands have PSK31 activity, above 30 mhz.
      > I think JOTA is a good project/program, I just feel we should
      show the
      > scouts what they can accomplish and show them how a Tech license
      can be used
      > in their activities as Scouts. Show them search and rescue, show
      them the use
      > of communications on Scout camps, how they can use it to find one
      another, or
      > to communicate between groups, when doing this, they aren't out
      with an HF
      > rig, they will most times have a HT(VHF/UHF), show them how they
      can setup a
      > local camp repeater, then use it to communicate amongst groups.
      Scouting is
      > great, but how many things can you think of that you might learn as
      a scout,
      > that you will use the REST OF YOUR LIFE! Ham radio is one, teach
      them and
      > get them licensed, then they will take that with them up into their
      80's or
      > higher age, and USE IT . Pitch a tent, or tie a rope into a knot
      or start a
      > fire, yeah, you are gonna be doing that in the back yard of your
      house when
      > you are 80-90 years old, not likely, but Ham radio is something
      they will
      > never outgrow.
      >
      > 73' John KD5INM
    • Malcolm - G4CXT
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28 1:55 PM
        I would support this point of view. I took radio to one camp which had a
        "spy theme" - when I offered to operate CW as a "special agent" you
        couldn't get near the radio for the number of kids crowding round to
        witness it! Granted, they hadn't a clue what was being said, but to say
        they were intrigued would be an understatement!

        Its this kind of curiosity which ham radio plays to in adults & children
        alike - and if CW or PSK31 is what gets them to ask "I wonder if I could do
        that" then its mission accomplished in my view ... provided you have the
        means to feed that curiosity, of course.

        The only issue we have is that the published "Scout frequencies" show a CW
        calling frequency of 14.070MHz. Where you actually operate of course is
        entirely up to you. I suspect that precious few Scout to Scout CW QSOs
        result from random calling (and listening) on 14.070. In fact, I've NEVER
        listened there for any calls, and seldom operate above 14.060 MHz in any
        case! In practice therefore I think we are talking about a problem which is
        most unlikely to occur and if it does which is easily fixed.

        Despite this there is a case in my view for publishing an alternative Scout
        calling frequency (eg 14.067 MHz) - and this can only come from the
        auspices of WOSM to avoid any accusation of conflict with the now
        recognised & established PSK31 slot at 14.0725 MHz

        73

        Malcolm - G4CXT
        ADC(Scouts) - Woodbridge

        At , you wrote:
        >Hi John,
        >
        >I would respectfully disagree with your statements regarding the use
        >of CW. CW IS available to Technicians. Look at the bandplans. All VHF
        >and UHF allocations have sub bands for CW and SSB and Technicians
        >have full rights and privileges in these areas. Just because CW is
        >not required for a Tech license does not mean it cannot be used.
        >
        >I have given Ham radio demonstrations to my wife's Girl Scout troop,
        >of which my daughter is a member. The kids were so interested in
        >using the oscillator that they would sneak back from the other
        >activities to practice sending. Kids love secret code type stuff and
        >CW seems like that to them.
        >
        >In addition, many children who enter Ham radio feel intimidated by
        >talking to adults on repeaters or HF. CW is a great equalizer in this
        >regard.
        >
        >So please reconsider your view on the use of CW.
        >
        >Best Regards,
        >Rick, KB1FLR
      • kr1zan
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 28 2:30 PM
          Hi all,

          I would argue that you're both correct. CW "demonstrations" are a
          lot of fun for the kids, especially when it's a no pressure personal
          challenge. When CW is used for an actual on the air contact, the
          Scouts have no practical idea what's going on, they're spectators,
          not actual participants. They must take you at your word that the
          beeps and bonks truly represent what they asked you to send. It's
          kinda like watching a rock grow. I like the use of voice or keyboard
          for Scout to Scout contacts.

          Similar to CW GET that the ARRL used at a teacher's workshop, we
          often use HamScope or some other tools so the kids can try sending
          Morse and the computer interprets what they're sending. This is
          especially useful when you don't have operators who are skilled at CW
          themselves. A computer off to the side can be a lot of fun for kids
          to try -- send their name, etc.

          I would advocate that we get rid of the "calling frequencies" list
          and recommend the use of Technician, Tech Plus and General Class
          portions of the bands for JOTA. For other Scouting events, use
          whatever prearranged frequency makes sense for the two groups.
          The "calling frequencies" invariably fall on an existing QSO or Net.

          In the end, it all boils down to what equipment you have, what
          license class you have and what skills you have. Then, do the best
          to demo Ham Radio and get the Scouts on the air. When we have some
          bureaucracy dictating the frequencies to use and we get too wrapped
          up in the legalities then it stops being fun and the kids suffer. A
          lot of Hams I know are scared away from JOTA and Radio Scouting
          because of the guidelines (for those who are old hands at JOTA, etc.,
          take a look at the WOSM Radio Scouting pages, or the ARRL JOTA pages,
          and you'll see lots of words, which aren't needed for a local third
          party FM repeater contact). I usually work with them to make contact
          on a local repeater or simplex VHF/UHF frequency -- and we all have
          fun.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Advisor Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
          Garland, TX

          --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "kb1flr" <kb1flr@h...> wrote:
          > Hi John,
          >
          > I would respectfully disagree with your statements regarding the
          use
          > of CW. CW IS available to Technicians. Look at the bandplans. All
          VHF
          > and UHF allocations have sub bands for CW and SSB and Technicians
          > have full rights and privileges in these areas. Just because CW is
          > not required for a Tech license does not mean it cannot be used.

          <<<<< Rest of message(s) snipped out >>>>>