Does your Summer Camp have ham station?

  • wd5ibs <wd5ibs@verinet.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2002
      Hello:

      I am a new group member, Chris Kelly, K0PF and trustee of W0BSA,
      the Long's Peak Council Radio Club. Over the past two years
      several hams, especially WB0TSX, have built a radio station
      at Ben Delatour Scout Ranch in Northern Colorado. We have a
      tribander and 6M Yagis on a 30 foot tower, dipoles for 40/80M
      and dual band verticals/yagis for 2M/440.

      We are looking for any scout summer camps that have regular or
      somewhat regular ham operations. It is possible that this summer
      we will be able to have the station in operation daily for the
      full 9 week camp season, and we'd like to see if there are
      other camps with which we can make skeds for evening contacts.

      It is pretty hard to find this sort of info through BSA, as there
      does not seem to be any directory of camps to consult, so I thought
      this group would be a good one to ask. I note in the archives that
      Bob Bruninga had a web page related to this question, but I have
      been unable to access that page (help?).

      So if your council summer camp(s) have a fairly regular ham radio
      operation, will you please email me the details so that I can
      compile a list of (a) Camp name, (b) camp location, (c) email
      for the camp, (d) email of the trustee, control operator or
      hams/scouters that visit and activate the station on a somewhat
      regular basis? My email name is wd5ibs (former call) and my ISP
      is verinet . com.

      Thanks for any info you can provide. If you know of a similar
      list somewhere, please send me a pointer to that list.

      73,
      Chris Kelly K0PF
      Loveland, Colorado
    • wa6lbu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2002
        Slipery Falls Scout Reservation in Tishomingo, Ok has had stations in the past. We are working on a permant station.  Callsign can be WA5BSA or possibly WB5BSA.  These call are club calls for 2 different scout troop in the OKC area.

        Clay WA6LBU/5
      • Chris Kelly
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2002
          Great tips, thanks!