Connector Help Needed

  • Martin A. Flynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2002
      I will be replacing the HF, VHF and UHF antenna feed lines on our Sea Scout
      training vessel M/V Seahorse with heliax this spring. Unfortunately it seems
      to require a special tool to strip the wire prior to connector attachment.

      The wire is:
      Andrew LDF4-50A (low loss heliax cable)

      Connectors are:
      Andrew F4PNR-H (right angle "N" type)
      Andrew F4PNM-HC (straight "N" type)

      The tool I am looking for (to borrow hopefully) is
      Andrew CPT-L4RC

      I have tried the local Police Department Radio Repair Shop, and the local LMR
      dealer (no luck) Are there any Amateurs local to Union County NJ who might be
      willing to loan us the tool and/or expertise to attach the connectors?

      Failing that, are there any suggestions on where to buy one (the Andrew CPT-
      L4RC) inexpensively?

      YiS,
      Martin

      Martin A. Flynn
      Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
      M/V Seahorse
      http://seascout.net/ship243

      ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
      ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==
    • Scott Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2002
        At 04:47 AM 12/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
        >I will be replacing the HF, VHF and UHF antenna feed lines on our Sea Scout
        >training vessel M/V Seahorse with heliax this spring. Unfortunately it seems
        >to require a special tool to strip the wire prior to connector attachment.
        >
        >The wire is:
        >Andrew LDF4-50A (low loss heliax cable)
        >
        >Connectors are:
        >Andrew F4PNR-H (right angle "N" type)
        >Andrew F4PNM-HC (straight "N" type)

        Martin,

        I am a broadcast engineer and have spent many a day installing connectors
        on Heliax. I have never owned a stripping tool.

        When you receive your connectors, you'll find that Andrew has included a
        helpful instruction sheet with each one, describing how to manually prep
        the cable and install the connector. They also thoughtfully provide the
        required "O" rings and even a small tube of the silicone compound you will
        need.

        The tools required are fairly common -- a hacksaw or coping saw with
        appropriate fine-toothed blade, a stout utility knife, and a couple of
        fairly large crescent wrenches.

        The first connector you install will take a while as you learn the
        process. The rest will go quickly.

        Hope this has helped you. If you do end up using the stripping tool, drop
        me a line and tell me how that worked out for you -- I don't know anyone
        who's ever seen one, and I know a lot of Heliax-hackers! :)

        Scott KD4DCY
        --
        Scott Johnson (scott@...)
        ICQ: 30730876 ICBM: N33 45 50.6 W84 49 31.3 (+- 3dB)
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2002
          Martin,

          Just wanted to echo Scott's advice - no special tool is usually needed.

          Also, wondered if you'd considered something less expensive and easier to use, such as LMR-400 or 9913?  Or maybe you have a specific requirement for the heliax.  Also might mention that Cablewave Systems makes a cable almost identical to Andrew and their connectors are much easier to put on usually.  Actually, their connectors can be used with Heliax as well.

          Good luck,

          Steve Riddle, W4SER
          Radio Engineer, NC Forest Service
        • Martin A. Flynn
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2002
            Scott & Steve,
            I never dealt with either product before. Plenty of UTP and twinax
            though. We are using the Andrew product as we acquired a bunch of it from
            an AMPS cell site de-install. Most of the connectors will be re-used
            though did order new heat shrink & silicone grease.

            Martin