Re: [Scoutradio] Need a JOTA Station?

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
      Scott, John is very right that the USA and Britain are the only
      countries that separate the Boy and Girl Scouts(Guides). However, even
      the Brits don't have the burr up their . . .
      that the GSUSA does. The statement made earlier about allowing Dads to
      volunteer in the GSUSA has only been within the last several years and
      only reluctantly. They seem to
      think that we don't have anything to contribute yet they are very eager
      to have the girls look at careers that women don't traditionally work
      in. The response of "That's a BSA event"
      shows their ignorance. The event is supposed to be a combined WOSM and
      WAGGGS event in cooperation with the IARU, the ITU and the member
      governments. That's why in many countries
      there are special calls issued or waivers to 3rd party aggreements
      granted to participate in JOTA.
      In any case go back into your Girl Scout Council and explain to them
      that JOTA is not a BSA program that it is an International Program that
      involves all Scouts and Guides.

      73,

      Bill, W2BSA

    • Rick Hampton
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
        As a reminder for everyone, ARRL has a good bit of information to help the
        JOTA newcomer along. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/

        Scott, you aren't the first to hear the refrain, "That's a Boy Scout thing."
        Specifically for this problem, see
        http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/scouthbk/ic.html for a Girl Scout Patch
        Program put together by Arline Berry, W1LIO. (Now that I'm in her neck of
        the woods, I hope to meet up with her sometime.)

        And thanks for the laughs about our "handicap."

        Rick, WD8KEL

        > BSA event", and that they "might consider a similar event for the girls in
        > the future."
        >
        > My daughter's GS leaders, needless to say, were clueless about JOTA too,
        and
        > I must admit that I hadn't seen any literature that specifically mentioned
        > Girl Scouts. When I was a Scout, BSA and Girl Scouts seldom had common,
        > "co-ed" events.
        >
        > Thanks to all who enlightened me. I will go back to these ladies and see
        > what can be done. They may not want my help because of my handicap (I
        have
        > a Y chromosome), but I'll ask. :)
        >
        > Scott
      • Malcolm - G4CXT
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
          Ahem,

          Stepping onto my soapbox, just to put the record straight .......

          About 10 years ago the UK Scout Association took a dramatic step forwards
          by opening up the movement to girls, and now we have a good proportion of
          girls in all sections from Beaver Scouts right through to what is now
          called the Scout Network (18 to 25 year olds)

          In the latest programme redevelopment we have gone one stage further and
          are using the powers of the UK Sex Discrimination Act to make
          co-educational Scouting mandatory in all NEW groups.

          The Girl Guides, on the other hand still only accept girls into their ranks.

          Therefore in many areas of the UK girls are able to choose between joining
          the Scouts or the Guides, and how they make that choice is up to them,
          their parents & their peers.

          To keep on-topic (!) here in the UK many of the stations which take part in
          JOTA have both Scout & Guide groups participating, and this has been the
          case ever since its inception. The Guides quite separately have a similar
          event in February called "Thinking Day on the Air" which provides the
          opportunity for similar activities to JOTA, but on a much smaller
          scale. Look here to see more ..... http://www.guides-on-the-air.co.uk/

          Looking forward to a great weekend 19/20th October .... see you all on the
          radio, hopefully!

          Malcolm

          ADC(Scouts) Woodbridge

          At 15:31 11/10/02, you wrote:
          >Name here is John Miers from San Francisco. I've been watching all of the
          >e-mail messages that have been sent through and thought I would put in for
          >this time around. Remember this is an International event and only the USA
          >and Britan segregate boys and girls in scouts
        • n5dgh
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
            Scott,
            No less true today than then. It still works better to take a station to them than to expect them to come to you. Hope you are still as excited to set up today as you were then! It pays great dividends, even if we cannot tell in the same year.
            Leland