Need a JOTA Station?

  • kd4dcy
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
      After hearing recently about JOTA, I decided to volunteer. I have e-
      mailed several people around the metro Atlanta, GA Scouting community
      with my offer to set up a temporary special event station at any
      convenient location so that all area Scouts could visit and operate.

      Unfortunately, despite repeated e-mails to five addresses:

      rmoyer@... (National Coordinator)
      helmsstucc@... (Sweetwater District)
      kberryhomes@... (Sweetwater District)
      cbrown43@... (Sweetwater District)
      aacmke@... (Atlanta Area Council)

      I have received NO REPLIES. ZERO. This is unfortunate, since if I'm
      going to be any help at all, I need to use this weekend to pull
      together gear and antenna systems.

      So, since Atlanta doesn't seem to need any help, I would like to
      extend my offer to any Scouting organization within a two hour drive
      of Atlanta. If you'd like a station set up for your Scouts, just
      contact me via e-mail or by phone at (678) 468-9626. I'd like to
      help, because this promises to be a great experience for the kids.

      Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Scott Johnson
      Amateur Radio Station KD4DCY
      Douglasville, GA
    • barry griffin
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
        Hi Scott,
        Unforguntley I am in the same boat as you are.I have
        set up a JOTA station several years now.But this year
        I will not be able to so I turned to the local clubs
        and asked if someone would be nice enoough to help
        like you NO RESPONSE ZERO !!!So don't feel bad about
        it.73's
        Barry Griffin
        KD5PXU
        Greenville,Texas
        President
        Majors Field Radio Club WD5GSL
        --- kd4dcy <scott@...> wrote:
        > After hearing recently about JOTA, I decided to
        > volunteer. I have e-
        > mailed several people around the metro Atlanta, GA
        > Scouting community
        > with my offer to set up a temporary special event
        > station at any
        > convenient location so that all area Scouts could
        > visit and operate.
        >
        > Unfortunately, despite repeated e-mails to five
        > addresses:
        >
        > rmoyer@... (National Coordinator)
        > helmsstucc@... (Sweetwater District)
        > kberryhomes@... (Sweetwater District)
        > cbrown43@... (Sweetwater District)
        > aacmke@... (Atlanta Area Council)
        >
        > I have received NO REPLIES. ZERO. This is
        > unfortunate, since if I'm
        > going to be any help at all, I need to use this
        > weekend to pull
        > together gear and antenna systems.
        >
        > So, since Atlanta doesn't seem to need any help, I
        > would like to
        > extend my offer to any Scouting organization within
        > a two hour drive
        > of Atlanta. If you'd like a station set up for your
        > Scouts, just
        > contact me via e-mail or by phone at (678) 468-9626.
        > I'd like to
        > help, because this promises to be a great experience
        > for the kids.
        >
        > Looking forward to hearing from you.
        >
        > Scott Johnson
        > Amateur Radio Station KD4DCY
        > Douglasville, GA

        http://faith.yahoo.com
      • Jon Pearl W4ABC
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
          Well... I was a bit worried. I guess my percentages aren't quite as bad as
          yours!

          As of late, out of a hundred Amateur Radio Operators who are confirmed to be
          involved in Scouting, I will manage to see less than ten that are willing to
          bite at the prospect of joining this list. I scour all the nooks and
          crannies looking for new prospects. Some of you were no doubt willing
          recipients of one of my mailings, while others found their own way here.

          Don't take it personally, Bro'.

          "Life Happens!"

          YIS

          Jon Pearl W4ABC

          > After hearing recently about JOTA, I decided to volunteer. I have e-
          > mailed several people around the metro Atlanta, GA Scouting community
          > with my offer to set up a temporary special event station at any
          > convenient location so that all area Scouts could visit and operate.
          >
          > Unfortunately, despite repeated e-mails to five addresses:
          >
          > rmoyer@... (National Coordinator)
          > helmsstucc@... (Sweetwater District)
          > kberryhomes@... (Sweetwater District)
          > cbrown43@... (Sweetwater District)
          > aacmke@... (Atlanta Area Council)
          >
          > I have received NO REPLIES. ZERO. This is unfortunate, since if I'm
          > going to be any help at all, I need to use this weekend to pull
          > together gear and antenna systems.
          >
          > So, since Atlanta doesn't seem to need any help, I would like to
          > extend my offer to any Scouting organization within a two hour drive
          > of Atlanta. If you'd like a station set up for your Scouts, just
          > contact me via e-mail or by phone at (678) 468-9626. I'd like to
          > help, because this promises to be a great experience for the kids.
          >
          > Looking forward to hearing from you.
          >
          > Scott Johnson
          > Amateur Radio Station KD4DCY
          > Douglasville, GA
        • Scott Johnson
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
            ...and I'm not even involved in Scouting! Just thought I'd offer to help
            because it sounded like a good thing to do, and because I was a Scout once.

            My daughter is a Girl Scout. They don't do ham radio, they do cookies. :)

            Scott

            --
            Scott Johnson (scott@...) (s.johnson@...)
            > Well... I was a bit worried. I guess my percentages aren't quite
            > as bad as
            > yours!
            >
            > As of late, out of a hundred Amateur Radio Operators who are
            > confirmed to be
            > involved in Scouting, I will manage to see less than ten that are
            > willing to
            > bite at the prospect of joining this list. I scour all the nooks and
            > crannies looking for new prospects. Some of you were no doubt willing
            > recipients of one of my mailings, while others found their own way here.
            >
            > Don't take it personally, Bro'.
            >

            > "Life Happens!"
            >
            > YIS
            >
            > Jon Pearl W4ABC

          • John Brewer
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
              Too bad Atlanta is more than a couple hours from Salt Lake City.
              I would put you to work here!!

              John Brewer
              N7MFQ
              > After hearing recently about JOTA, I decided to volunteer. I have e-
              > mailed several people around the metro Atlanta, GA Scouting community
              > with my offer to set up a temporary special event station at any
              > convenient location so that all area Scouts could visit and operate.
              >
              > Unfortunately, despite repeated e-mails to five addresses:
              >
              > rmoyer@... (National Coordinator)
              > helmsstucc@... (Sweetwater District)
              > kberryhomes@... (Sweetwater District)
              > cbrown43@... (Sweetwater District)
              > aacmke@... (Atlanta Area Council)
              >
              > I have received NO REPLIES. ZERO. This is unfortunate, since if I'm
              > going to be any help at all, I need to use this weekend to pull
              > together gear and antenna systems.
              >
              > So, since Atlanta doesn't seem to need any help, I would like to
              > extend my offer to any Scouting organization within a two hour drive
              > of Atlanta. If you'd like a station set up for your Scouts, just
              > contact me via e-mail or by phone at (678) 468-9626. I'd like to
              > help, because this promises to be a great experience for the kids.
              >
              > Looking forward to hearing from you.
              >
              > Scott Johnson
              > Amateur Radio Station KD4DCY
              > Douglasville, GA

              > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them subscibe

              > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

              > ScoutRadio start page:

            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                RE: [Scoutradio] Need a JOTA Station?
                I got in on this thread late. If you're still looking for sites from where to conduct a JOTA operation, check:  http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/ , courtesy of Jean WB3IOS. Other JOTA info:  http://www2.arrl.org/FandES/ead/ideas.html .

                Keep up to date with Scouting plans and information for patches:
                        http://www.scouting.org/international/jota.html .

                The ARRL has information kits to hand out at JOTA. These kits are available online at the URL below. Kits are $12 with shipping, and include handout materials for 50 persons:
                        https://www.arrl.org/forms/ead/recruit/orderform.html .

                If these doesn't work out for you, just work from home on the JOTA frequencies:

                                        Band           >      SSB (phone)       CW (Morse code)
                >                                            80-meter          3.740* and        3.940 MHz
                >                                                                                                         3.590 MHz
                >                                            40-meter          7.090* and
                >                                                                           7.290 MHz         7.030 MHz
                >                                            20-meter       14.290 MHz       14.070 MHz (1)
                >                                            17-meter       18.140 MHz       18.080 MHz
                >                                            15-meter       21.360 MHz       21.140 MHz
                >                                            12-meter       24.960 MHz       24.910 MHz
                >                                            10-meter       28.390 MHz**   28.190 MHz

                *Not authorized to transmit in the United States (Region 2); however, you may listen.
                **For United States, to allow novices to participate in JOTA on the phone.

                (1) 14.070 is now the PSK31 frequency; this frequency may be changed for JOTA CW. An inquiry to BSA International has not yet resolved this issue. It is NOT recommended to transmit CW on the PSK-31 part of the 20m band.

                HTH and 73 de Fred
                K2FRD/KZ2BSA

                At 17:46 -0400 10/10/2002, Scott Johnson wrote:
                ...and I'm not even involved in Scouting!  Just thought I'd offer to help
                because it sounded like a good thing to do, and because I was a Scout once.

                My daughter is a Girl Scout.  They don't do ham radio, they do cookies. :)

                     Scott

                --

                73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                  Scott,

                  Even if no groups take you up on your generous offer (we could use you in
                  the UK if you fancy travelling!) then make sure you come on the bands and
                  hang around the Scout frequencies, as it great to have interesting people
                  to talk with when you have youngsters on the microphone.

                  Talking about Scout experiences from the past is a great ice breaker, but
                  you've got something even more special ...... I'll give a penny for a pound
                  that our young Scouts here in the UK will be queuing up to make a new
                  friend stateside from the Girl Scouts !!!!! Drop the cookies for the
                  weekend, let her use dad's radio ;-)

                  Activity in Europe is pretty high for JOTA, so you won't be short of QSOs
                  if propagation is up.

                  73

                  Malcolm G4CXT - GB4WDS in JOTA
                  ADC(S) Woodbridge

                  At 22:46 10/10/02, you wrote:
                  >...and I'm not even involved in Scouting! Just thought I'd offer to help
                  >because it sounded like a good thing to do, and because I was a Scout once.
                  >
                  >My daughter is a Girl Scout. They don't do ham radio, they do cookies. :)
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  >--
                  >Scott Johnson (scott@...) (s.johnson@...)
                  >ICQ: 30730876 ICBM: N33 45 50.6 W84 49 31.3 (+- 3dB)
                • Bill Stewart
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                    Allow me to jump in on Malcolm's idea. Invite her whole troop, INCLUDING, the leaders. Show them that this is not
                    just for guys. Don't let the leaders say we'll do it next year. Push them to come this year.

                    73

                    Bill, W2BSA operating W3BSA at JOTA

                  • Tomsharp@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                      Barry & Scott, just a thought, altho it is getting late.  We find the local Council's website, look at their Districts' calendars and determine who is having a camporee JOTA weekend.  We then contact the District and set up a station at the Camporee.  This year, four or five districts are having camporees that weekend.  We chose two of them and will have V/U and HF stations at both.

                      If their Websites are useful, you can telephone the Council and try asking about camporees.  You don't need much to do it: HF station and antenna, a table and a tarp!  (maybe a power source).

                      It really is most fun if you can go to where the kids are instead of having them come to you.

                      If no luck, come out to Arizona and help

                      73

                      ---Tom Sharp   WA9OXY
                      Advisor, Explorer Post 599
                      W7BSA, The Ham Club for Teens
                      Phoenix, AZ
                      (602) 569-6512
                      --- kd4dcy <scott@...> wrote:
                      > After hearing recently about JOTA, I decided to
                      > volunteer.  I have e-
                      > mailed several people around the metro Atlanta, GA
                      > Scouting community
                      > with my offer to set up a temporary special event
                      > station at any
                      > convenient location so that all area Scouts could
                      > visit and operate.
                      >
                      > Unfortunately, despite repeated e-mails to five
                      > addresses:
                      >
                      > rmoyer@...        (National Coordinator)
                      > helmsstucc@...       (Sweetwater District)
                      > kberryhomes@...      (Sweetwater District)
                      > cbrown43@...   (Sweetwater District)
                      > aacmke@...    (Atlanta Area Council)
                      >
                      > I have received NO REPLIES.  ZERO.  This is
                      > unfortunate, since if I'm
                      > going to be any help at all, I need to use this
                      > weekend to pull
                      > together gear and antenna systems.
                      >
                      > So, since Atlanta doesn't seem to need any help, I
                      > would like to
                      > extend my offer to any Scouting organization within
                      > a two hour drive
                      > of Atlanta.  If you'd like a station set up for your
                      > Scouts, just
                      > contact me via e-mail or by phone at (678) 468-9626.
                      >  I'd like to
                      > help, because this promises to be a great experience
                      > for the kids.
                      >
                      > Looking forward to hearing from you.
                      >
                      >      Scott Johnson
                      >      Amateur Radio Station KD4DCY
                      >      Douglasville, GA

                    • Rick Hampton
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                        "My daughter is a Girl Scout. They don't do ham radio, they do cookies. :)"

                        Scott,

                        Please don't say that too loudly around my daughter, or you're liable to get
                        whacked up side the head by her HT.

                        I coordinated JOTA for the local club in Charlotte, NC for the past two
                        years, using the Amateur Radio Education Center in the local science museum,
                        Discovery Place. (I'd be doing it this year if I hadn't relocated to
                        Boston.) I had TERRIBLE problems with the Boy Scouts since the local
                        council always kicked off the popcorn sales on JOTA weekend.

                        The Girl Scouts, on the other hand, always turned out in good numbers. Last
                        year, my daughter was fortunate enough to work Frank Culbertson, KD5OPQ, on
                        the ISS. There is a short blurb about it on page 100 of the September QST
                        (and is now available at: http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2002/JOTA.pdf.)
                        It might be a little late to do so now, but you can try using that to
                        generate interest with your local GSA council. (There was a full page
                        article published in the 2002 edition of ARRL's "Ham Radio...Planning for
                        the Future".) Earlier this year, Kara earned her Silver Award by putting
                        together some Amateur Radio educational material for her Council and
                        District. (Now if I can just get her to send a short blurb to Jean Wolfgang
                        with a photo.)

                        I know you meant it in jest, but I do think we need to try recruiting the
                        Girl Scouts a little harder. From MY experience the girls always showed
                        more interest and participated in the activities more. I think the guys
                        were too afraid they would be percieved as being "too geeky" or "uncool" to
                        show much interest, even when they did show up. Go figure.

                        I wish everyone a good JOTA. Unfortunately, I'll be traveling the whole
                        weekend. :-(

                        73,

                        Rick, WD8KEL

                        > ...and I'm not even involved in Scouting! Just thought I'd offer to help
                        > because it sounded like a good thing to do, and because I was a Scout
                        once.

                        > My daughter is a Girl Scout. They don't do ham radio, they do cookies. :)
                        >
                        > Scott
                      • Rick Hampton
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                          Oh, and you did catch this part, didn't you?

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                            Sorry, folks. This message was meant for my daughter. She didn't know the
                            article had been placed on the web.

                            I'm a proud Dad, but I'm not trying to be a pain.

                            Sorry.

                            Rick, WD8KEL
                            > Oh, and you did catch this part, didn't you?
                          • Ronald Rossi
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
                              JOTA is for Girl Scouts too. I am hosting my daughter's troop 514 at my
                              shack from 1300-1500 ET on the Saturday!

                              --
                              73 es God Bless de KK1L...ron (kk1l@...) <><
                              QTH: Jericho, Vermont
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
                                On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Rick Hampton wrote:

                                > "My daughter is a Girl Scout. They don't do ham radio, they do cookies. :)"

                                Nice thread. Girl Scouts need help. THey have even relaxed the rules to
                                let men help out with leadership roles. My daughter was on a WAITING list
                                for 2 years to get into a troop. Without as many stay-at-home MOM's these
                                days, they are hurting for leaders.

                                When she did finally get in, they did more camping and hiking than my boys
                                scout troop. So I'm all for reaching out to Girl Scouts. (APRS even has
                                a Girlscout ICON). But unless you knock on their doors, sometimes the MOM
                                leaders don't know what you can offer.

                                Bob
                              • Scott Johnson
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
                                  OK, OK, I have been well and fairly chastised. However, I would like to beg
                                  leniency, on the grounds that I was misled.

                                  I work only a mile or two from the Girl Scout "Volunteer Service Center"
                                  here in Atlanta, and go there often to get my daughter's uniform items,
                                  materials, etc. I stopped by last week to inquire as to whether they'd be
                                  participating in JOTA and might want help. The response was that "That's a
                                  BSA event", and that they "might consider a similar event for the girls in
                                  the future."

                                  My daughter's GS leaders, needless to say, were clueless about JOTA too, and
                                  I must admit that I hadn't seen any literature that specifically mentioned
                                  Girl Scouts. When I was a Scout, BSA and Girl Scouts seldom had common,
                                  "co-ed" events.

                                  Thanks to all who enlightened me. I will go back to these ladies and see
                                  what can be done. They may not want my help because of my handicap (I have
                                  a Y chromosome), but I'll ask. :)

                                  Scott

                                  --
                                  Scott Johnson (scott@...) (s.johnson@...)
                                  > On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Rick Hampton wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > "My daughter is a Girl Scout. They don't do ham radio, they do
                                  > cookies. :)"
                                  >
                                  > Nice thread. Girl Scouts need help. THey have even relaxed the rules to
                                  > let men help out with leadership roles. My daughter was on a WAITING list
                                  > for 2 years to get into a troop. Without as many stay-at-home MOM's these
                                  > days, they are hurting for leaders.
                                  >
                                  > When she did finally get in, they did more camping and hiking than my boys
                                  > scout troop. So I'm all for reaching out to Girl Scouts. (APRS even has
                                  > a Girlscout ICON). But unless you knock on their doors, sometimes the MOM
                                  > leaders don't know what you can offer.
                                  >
                                  > Bob

                                  > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                                  > ScoutRadio start page:

                                • jmier7
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
                                    Hello all,

                                      Name here is John Miers from San Francisco. I've been watching all of the e-mail messages that have been sent through and thought I would put in for this time around. Remember this is an International event and only the USA and Britan segregate boys and girls in scouts.
                                      QUESTION..... since I will be the principle operator on HF, do I use my callsign? Or is there a place to apply for special events for the Scouts?

                                      73
                                      John Miers AB6XV
                                    OK, OK, I have been well and fairly chastised.  However, I would like to beg
                                    leniency, on the grounds that I was misled.

                                    I work only a mile or two from the Girl Scout "Volunteer Service Center"
                                    here in Atlanta, and go there often to get my daughter's uniform items,
                                    materials, etc.  I stopped by last week to inquire as to whether they'd be
                                    participating in JOTA and might want help.  The response was that "That's a
                                    BSA event", and that they "might consider a similar event for the girls in
                                    the future."

                                    My daughter's GS leaders, needless to say, were clueless about JOTA too, and
                                    I must admit that I hadn't seen any literature that specifically mentioned
                                    Girl Scouts.  When I was a Scout, BSA and Girl Scouts seldom had common,
                                    "co-ed" events.

                                    Thanks to all who enlightened me.  I will go back to these ladies and see
                                    what can be done.  They may not want my help because of my handicap (I have
                                    a Y chromosome), but I'll ask. :)

                                         Scott

                                    --
                                    Scott Johnson (scott@...) (s.johnson@...)
                                    > On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Rick Hampton wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > "My daughter is a Girl Scout.  They don't do ham radio, they do
                                    > cookies. :)"
                                    >
                                    > Nice thread.  Girl Scouts need help.  THey have even relaxed the rules to
                                    > let men help out with leadership roles.  My daughter was on a WAITING list
                                    > for 2 years to get into a troop.  Without as many stay-at-home MOM's these
                                    > days, they are hurting for leaders.
                                    >
                                    > When she did finally get in, they did more camping and hiking than my boys
                                    > scout troop.  So I'm all for reaching out to Girl Scouts. (APRS even has
                                    > a Girlscout ICON).  But unless you knock on their doors, sometimes the MOM
                                    > leaders don't know what you can offer.
                                    >
                                    > Bob

                                    > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                                    > Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot; http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                                    >
                                    > ScoutRadio start page:

                                  • Rick Hampton
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
                                      John,

                                      I think it's probably too late to apply for a special event callsign.  If you are going to be the control operator, I would suggest just using your callsign and tagging on "JOTA" or "JAMBOREE" to the end of your CQ's and calls.  You'll hear that from most of the other stations participating, many of them from remote campsites and field locations.

                                      Good luck and have fun!

                                      Rick, WD8KEL

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
                                        Scott, John is very right that the USA and Britain are the only
                                        countries that separate the Boy and Girl Scouts(Guides). However, even
                                        the Brits don't have the burr up their . . .
                                        that the GSUSA does. The statement made earlier about allowing Dads to
                                        volunteer in the GSUSA has only been within the last several years and
                                        only reluctantly. They seem to
                                        think that we don't have anything to contribute yet they are very eager
                                        to have the girls look at careers that women don't traditionally work
                                        in. The response of "That's a BSA event"
                                        shows their ignorance. The event is supposed to be a combined WOSM and
                                        WAGGGS event in cooperation with the IARU, the ITU and the member
                                        governments. That's why in many countries
                                        there are special calls issued or waivers to 3rd party aggreements
                                        granted to participate in JOTA.
                                        In any case go back into your Girl Scout Council and explain to them
                                        that JOTA is not a BSA program that it is an International Program that
                                        involves all Scouts and Guides.

                                        73,

                                        Bill, W2BSA

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
                                          As a reminder for everyone, ARRL has a good bit of information to help the
                                          JOTA newcomer along. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/

                                          Scott, you aren't the first to hear the refrain, "That's a Boy Scout thing."
                                          Specifically for this problem, see
                                          http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/scouthbk/ic.html for a Girl Scout Patch
                                          Program put together by Arline Berry, W1LIO. (Now that I'm in her neck of
                                          the woods, I hope to meet up with her sometime.)

                                          And thanks for the laughs about our "handicap."

                                          Rick, WD8KEL

                                          > BSA event", and that they "might consider a similar event for the girls in
                                          > the future."
                                          >
                                          > My daughter's GS leaders, needless to say, were clueless about JOTA too,
                                          and
                                          > I must admit that I hadn't seen any literature that specifically mentioned
                                          > Girl Scouts. When I was a Scout, BSA and Girl Scouts seldom had common,
                                          > "co-ed" events.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks to all who enlightened me. I will go back to these ladies and see
                                          > what can be done. They may not want my help because of my handicap (I
                                          have
                                          > a Y chromosome), but I'll ask. :)
                                          >
                                          > Scott
                                        • Malcolm - G4CXT
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
                                            Ahem,

                                            Stepping onto my soapbox, just to put the record straight .......

                                            About 10 years ago the UK Scout Association took a dramatic step forwards
                                            by opening up the movement to girls, and now we have a good proportion of
                                            girls in all sections from Beaver Scouts right through to what is now
                                            called the Scout Network (18 to 25 year olds)

                                            In the latest programme redevelopment we have gone one stage further and
                                            are using the powers of the UK Sex Discrimination Act to make
                                            co-educational Scouting mandatory in all NEW groups.

                                            The Girl Guides, on the other hand still only accept girls into their ranks.

                                            Therefore in many areas of the UK girls are able to choose between joining
                                            the Scouts or the Guides, and how they make that choice is up to them,
                                            their parents & their peers.

                                            To keep on-topic (!) here in the UK many of the stations which take part in
                                            JOTA have both Scout & Guide groups participating, and this has been the
                                            case ever since its inception. The Guides quite separately have a similar
                                            event in February called "Thinking Day on the Air" which provides the
                                            opportunity for similar activities to JOTA, but on a much smaller
                                            scale. Look here to see more ..... http://www.guides-on-the-air.co.uk/

                                            Looking forward to a great weekend 19/20th October .... see you all on the
                                            radio, hopefully!

                                            Malcolm

                                            ADC(Scouts) Woodbridge

                                            At 15:31 11/10/02, you wrote:
                                            >Name here is John Miers from San Francisco. I've been watching all of the
                                            >e-mail messages that have been sent through and thought I would put in for
                                            >this time around. Remember this is an International event and only the USA
                                            >and Britan segregate boys and girls in scouts
                                          • n5dgh
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                                              Scott,
                                              No less true today than then. It still works better to take a station to them than to expect them to come to you. Hope you are still as excited to set up today as you were then! It pays great dividends, even if we cannot tell in the same year.
                                              Leland