Pack meeting a success??

  • Mark Wolf
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
      Hello Everyone,
      Thanks to all the members who offered advice and tips on things to do
      for a pack meeting demo.
      I'm happy to say, it went very well. After much consideration as to
      what my agenda should be, I decided to just wing it and go with the
      flow. After introductions, I breifly talked about history of radio,
      (They knew what the Titanic was) went on to talk about the radios I
      had set up for the demo. I also had handouts with the morse code
      alphabet and tuned in a cw qso for them to listen to. After listening
      to all the "weird sounds" on HF, we then picked up the mic on the
      2meter rig and was able to make contacts with some local hams via the
      repeater(it was pre-arranged, but I didn't let the kids know that)
      About 15 kids got to pick up the mic and chat. Of coarse there is
      always the one kid who has to be a cutup and when it was his turn at
      the mic, he yells into it "WAAASSSUUUPPP"!!!!! Other than that, We
      all had a good time. I managed to keep thier attention for a whole
      1/2 hour and even had some parents come up afterward who were
      interested! Some Hams that accompanied me for moral support took
      some digital pics and will get them to me soon, if anyone is
      interested. Now I have been asked to set up a JOTA Station for
      another Boy Scout Troop. Word sure get around fast.
      Thanks again for the tips and the use of the bandwidth.
      73
      Mark Wolf, W2MAW
      Silver Creek, NY
    • barry griffin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
        Congrats Mark sounds like you did a wonderful job.As i
        was told once that the younger they learn about Ham
        radio the more that want them to become a Ham...

        http://sbc.yahoo.com