[Scoutradio] Day Camp Radio Experience

  • James Olson
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002

      Suggestion:  Incorporate the Communicator Belt loop into the program as an achievement.  Here is how we did that at Day Camp this year:

      Talk to the Scouts about different types of communication (verbal, non-verbal, sign language, singing etc) and have them demonstrate this in front of the group.  Then break up the group into 3 different groups.  Set up 3 different workstations:  1) Write a postcard, 2) Learn about morse code, use a code practice oscillator to send your name, and learn how to say your name in the phonetic alphabet, 3) Operate an hf station with the kids getting a chance to introduce themselves on the air.

      We rotated the kids through our 3 workstations over the course of 90 minutes.  The kids had a great time, and earned a belt loop in the process!

      Check out some photos at

      http://www.qsl.net/w4ych/k4s.htm

      The hardest part of the activity is the postcard.  The Scouts loved the phonetic alphabet, the code practice keys, and talking on the air.

      After it is all done you can make a plug for Jamboree-on-the-Air

      http://www.home.zonnet.nl/worldscout/

      http://www.bsa.scouting.org/international/jota.html

      Maybe you can have your event on the Jota weekend?

      Yours in Scouting,

      James Olson, W4JO

      Atlanta Area Council, Covered Bridge District

      Pack 702 Cub Scouts

      James Olson
      Powder Springs, GA

      sx88ht20@...
      w4jo@...

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
    • Richard A. Blank
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
        I think I remember this happening before and that they got money to get
        them reprinted. So now the question is, will they be getting the Archie
        Comics reprinted in the future?

        73,
        Rick WB3BSA

        Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

        > I just learned today from the ARRL that the Archie comics are no
        > longer available. If anyone has them stockpiled, be advised that's
        > all you get.
        >
        > 73 and YIS de Fred
        > K2FRD
        >
        > At 21:42 -0400 11/09/2002, RStone1221@... wrote:
        > >
        > >Also, see if your local ham club has:
        > >
        > >-any of the ARRL ham comic books (I think they're Archie).
        >
        > --
        > 73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
        > Chenango Co. (NY) Assistant Emergency Coordinator
        > Foothills District, Otschodela Council BSA Committees
        > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group
        > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
        > K2FRD Personal Adventure page:
        > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
        > Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
        > Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
        > (no cost, no spam):
        > Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
        > For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
        > http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        > Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
        > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
        >
        > ScoutRadio start page:

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
          I asked the same question and the League told me that there were no
          plans at this time for any future production.

          73 de Fred
          K2FRD

          --
          73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
          K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
          Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
          Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
          (no cost, no spam):
          Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
          For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
          http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
        • Carter J Wood
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
            We remember 'Archie', but the present generation of
            Cub Scouts has never heard of him. Maybe a comic
            strip that is known to them would have more effect.
            Don't know what that would be, can't see 'Spong Bob'
            has a ham.

            Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
            http://news.yahoo.com
          • wa6lbu@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
              If it were upto my wife it would be the Animaniacs

              Clay

              <<