Re: [Scoutradio] Pack Meeting Radio Demo

  • Mark at Work
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
      Hello Everyone,
      Thank you very much for all the responses. These are all really great ideas,
      and I have so many now that I will have to be selective in choosing what to
      do. I have to keep reminding myself that they are just young kids with short
      attention spans and I MUST keep it to 1/2hr. You all know how HAMS are, I
      could probably talk for hours on this.
      The Pack Meeting is September 25th at 7:00pm Eastern which gives me less
      than two weeks to organize, etc. I wonder if there are any Packs that will
      be a meeting the same evening and maybe set up a schedule on 20m?
      Please keep the ideas coming, as I am compiling a big list and hope to come
      up with some different programs that can be given to the ARRL.
      Thanks Again,
      73
      Mark Wolf, W2MAW
      Silver Creek, NY
    • James Olson
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002

        Suggestion:  Incorporate the Communicator Belt loop into the program as an achievement.  Here is how we did that at Day Camp this year:

        Talk to the Scouts about different types of communication (verbal, non-verbal, sign language, singing etc) and have them demonstrate this in front of the group.  Then break up the group into 3 different groups.  Set up 3 different workstations:  1) Write a postcard, 2) Learn about morse code, use a code practice oscillator to send your name, and learn how to say your name in the phonetic alphabet, 3) Operate an hf station with the kids getting a chance to introduce themselves on the air.

        We rotated the kids through our 3 workstations over the course of 90 minutes.  The kids had a great time, and earned a belt loop in the process!

        Check out some photos at

        http://www.qsl.net/w4ych/k4s.htm

        The hardest part of the activity is the postcard.  The Scouts loved the phonetic alphabet, the code practice keys, and talking on the air.

        After it is all done you can make a plug for Jamboree-on-the-Air

        http://www.home.zonnet.nl/worldscout/

        http://www.bsa.scouting.org/international/jota.html

        Maybe you can have your event on the Jota weekend?

        Yours in Scouting,

        James Olson, W4JO

        Atlanta Area Council, Covered Bridge District

        Pack 702 Cub Scouts

        James Olson
        Powder Springs, GA

        sx88ht20@...
        w4jo@...

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
      • Richard A. Blank
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
          I think I remember this happening before and that they got money to get
          them reprinted. So now the question is, will they be getting the Archie
          Comics reprinted in the future?

          73,
          Rick WB3BSA

          Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

          > I just learned today from the ARRL that the Archie comics are no
          > longer available. If anyone has them stockpiled, be advised that's
          > all you get.
          >
          > 73 and YIS de Fred
          > K2FRD
          >
          > At 21:42 -0400 11/09/2002, RStone1221@... wrote:
          > >
          > >Also, see if your local ham club has:
          > >
          > >-any of the ARRL ham comic books (I think they're Archie).
          >
          > --
          > 73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
          > Chenango Co. (NY) Assistant Emergency Coordinator
          > Foothills District, Otschodela Council BSA Committees
          > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group
          > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
          > K2FRD Personal Adventure page:
          > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
          > Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
          > Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
          > (no cost, no spam):
          > Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
          > For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
          > http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          > Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
          > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
          >
          > ScoutRadio start page:

        • Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
            I asked the same question and the League told me that there were no
            plans at this time for any future production.

            73 de Fred
            K2FRD

            --
            73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
            Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
            K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
            Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
            Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
            (no cost, no spam):
            Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
            For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
            http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
          • Carter J Wood
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
              We remember 'Archie', but the present generation of
              Cub Scouts has never heard of him. Maybe a comic
              strip that is known to them would have more effect.
              Don't know what that would be, can't see 'Spong Bob'
              has a ham.

              Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
              http://news.yahoo.com
            • wa6lbu@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
                If it were upto my wife it would be the Animaniacs

                Clay

                <<