Re: [Scoutradio] Pack Meeting Radio Demo

  • Richard A. Blank
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
      Mark,
      I see that you have gotten several good replies so far. I can not
      emphasize enough, that the highlight of the demo for the Cub Scouts will
      be to get them on them air. Even if it is a prearranged 2 meter
      contact. The Cubs will love it and those that are brave enough to say
      hello over the radio will be a great reward for you as their eyes light
      up. You might have them tell the other station their first name and
      what their rank in Cub Scouting is.

      73,
      Rick WB3BSA.

      Be sure to visit http://www.k3bsa.org

    • RStone1221@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
        Print up 25-30 copies of a QSO handout that has on it:

        -the call sign, in big letters, you'll be using at that time
        -a line for them to fill in their name
        -a line for them to fill in their age
        -a line for them to fill in their location (city/county/country)
        -a line for them to fill in their cubscout pack # and their rank
        -a line for them to fill in a few of their hobbies

        This takes them a several minutes.
        It keeps them busy mentally and physically.
        More importantly, it gives them the confidence of knowing exactly what to say.
        I have seen the mike-shy kids decide to talk.

        ---------------
        Also, see if your local ham club has:

        -any of the ARRL ham comic books (I think they're Archie).
        -any of the ARRL scouting/ham folders

        ------------------
        Good Luck, 73, Yours in Scouting,
        Roz Stone, mom of KD5LUV- almost an Eagle scout
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
          I just learned today from the ARRL that the Archie comics are no
          longer available. If anyone has them stockpiled, be advised that's
          all you get.

          73 and YIS de Fred
          K2FRD

          --
          73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
            Hello Everyone,
            Thank you very much for all the responses. These are all really great ideas,
            and I have so many now that I will have to be selective in choosing what to
            do. I have to keep reminding myself that they are just young kids with short
            attention spans and I MUST keep it to 1/2hr. You all know how HAMS are, I
            could probably talk for hours on this.
            The Pack Meeting is September 25th at 7:00pm Eastern which gives me less
            than two weeks to organize, etc. I wonder if there are any Packs that will
            be a meeting the same evening and maybe set up a schedule on 20m?
            Please keep the ideas coming, as I am compiling a big list and hope to come
            up with some different programs that can be given to the ARRL.
            Thanks Again,
            73
            Mark Wolf, W2MAW
            Silver Creek, NY
          • James Olson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002

              Suggestion:  Incorporate the Communicator Belt loop into the program as an achievement.  Here is how we did that at Day Camp this year:

              Talk to the Scouts about different types of communication (verbal, non-verbal, sign language, singing etc) and have them demonstrate this in front of the group.  Then break up the group into 3 different groups.  Set up 3 different workstations:  1) Write a postcard, 2) Learn about morse code, use a code practice oscillator to send your name, and learn how to say your name in the phonetic alphabet, 3) Operate an hf station with the kids getting a chance to introduce themselves on the air.

              We rotated the kids through our 3 workstations over the course of 90 minutes.  The kids had a great time, and earned a belt loop in the process!

              Check out some photos at

              http://www.qsl.net/w4ych/k4s.htm

              The hardest part of the activity is the postcard.  The Scouts loved the phonetic alphabet, the code practice keys, and talking on the air.

              After it is all done you can make a plug for Jamboree-on-the-Air

              http://www.home.zonnet.nl/worldscout/

              http://www.bsa.scouting.org/international/jota.html

              Maybe you can have your event on the Jota weekend?

              Yours in Scouting,

              James Olson, W4JO

              Atlanta Area Council, Covered Bridge District

              Pack 702 Cub Scouts

              James Olson
              Powder Springs, GA

              sx88ht20@...
              w4jo@...

              Do you Yahoo!?
              Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
            • Richard A. Blank
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
                I think I remember this happening before and that they got money to get
                them reprinted. So now the question is, will they be getting the Archie
                Comics reprinted in the future?

                73,
                Rick WB3BSA

                Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                > I just learned today from the ARRL that the Archie comics are no
                > longer available. If anyone has them stockpiled, be advised that's
                > all you get.
                >
                > 73 and YIS de Fred
                > K2FRD
                >
                > At 21:42 -0400 11/09/2002, RStone1221@... wrote:
                > >
                > >Also, see if your local ham club has:
                > >
                > >-any of the ARRL ham comic books (I think they're Archie).
                >
                > --
                > 73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                > Chenango Co. (NY) Assistant Emergency Coordinator
                > Foothills District, Otschodela Council BSA Committees
                > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group
                > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
                > K2FRD Personal Adventure page:
                > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
                > Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
                > Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
                > (no cost, no spam):
                > Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
                > For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
                > http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                > Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
                > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                >
                > ScoutRadio start page:

              • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
                  I asked the same question and the League told me that there were no
                  plans at this time for any future production.

                  73 de Fred
                  K2FRD

                  --
                  73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                  Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
                  K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
                  Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
                  Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
                  (no cost, no spam):
                  Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
                  For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
                  http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
                • Carter J Wood
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
                    We remember 'Archie', but the present generation of
                    Cub Scouts has never heard of him. Maybe a comic
                    strip that is known to them would have more effect.
                    Don't know what that would be, can't see 'Spong Bob'
                    has a ham.

                    Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                    http://news.yahoo.com
                  • wa6lbu@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
                      If it were upto my wife it would be the Animaniacs

                      Clay

                      <<