Pack Meeting Radio Demo

  • Mark Wolf
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
      Hello All,
      I'm new to the group and I was asked by my brother-in-law Cub Master
      to do a 1/2hr Ham radio demo at this months pack meeting. I was a
      Cub/Scout/Leader in my younger days, but haven't been involved in
      scouting for the past 15 yrs and I'm out of touch. I checked with
      the ARRL and found out that they have absolutely nothing available
      for the younger kids(Cubs,Webelos). Does anyone have any tips/ideas
      on what to do for 1/2hr with 20 7-10year olds??? I was going to have
      at least 1 HF radio, and 1 VHF radio set up. I Also will have a
      laptop with soundcard software(psk31, SSTV, etc.) connected. Ohter
      than that, I'm at a loss.
      Thanks in advance.
      Mark Wolf, W2MAW
    • barry griffin
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
        Hi Mark my name is Barry griffin KD5PXU in Greenville
        Texas. I recently did a demo myself at our Cub Sccout
        day camp.If you have any qsl cards to show or know of
        someone who does that would intresting. I explained
        what an amateur radio does when not on HF.Storm
        spotting,Public service events,Mock disasters etc.if
        you can tell me when you will be on the air I will try
        to set up a sked with you on HF.I am a General class
        So let me know what bands you want to operate...

        73"s
        Barry griffin
        KD5PXU
        President
        Majors Field Radio Club
        aka E-systems or Raytheon amateur radio Club
        --- Mark Wolf <mwolf@...> wrote:
        > Hello All,
        > I'm new to the group and I was asked by my
        > brother-in-law Cub Master
        > to do a 1/2hr Ham radio demo at this months pack
        > meeting. I was a
        > Cub/Scout/Leader in my younger days, but haven't
        > been involved in
        > scouting for the past 15 yrs and I'm out of touch.
        > I checked with
        > the ARRL and found out that they have absolutely
        > nothing available
        > for the younger kids(Cubs,Webelos). Does anyone
        > have any tips/ideas
        > on what to do for 1/2hr with 20 7-10year olds??? I
        > was going to have
        > at least 1 HF radio, and 1 VHF radio set up. I Also
        > will have a
        > laptop with soundcard software(psk31, SSTV, etc.)
        > connected. Ohter
        > than that, I'm at a loss.
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Mark Wolf, W2MAW

        Yahoo! - We Remember
        http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
      • Carter J Wood
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
          They love the code. Use the loudest tone device you
          can and show them the first easy characters. In just
          minutes, they can read, "HE IS IT" & "SHE HIT HE",
          etc.

          Okay, so it's not good grammar, but the parents will
          be amazed that their kids are getting it while they do not.

          Yahoo! - We Remember
          http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
        • John Brewer
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
            I did a Ham radio demo for my son's pack a few months ago. I took my HF
            rig, a couple of handhelds, and printed the code out as a handout. Then I
            sent each boy his name in code..... We split the boys into 4 groups and had
            3 other activities (non-radio) for them to participate in as well.

            John Brewer
            N7MFQ

            > I'm new to the group and I was asked by my brother-in-law Cub Master
            > to do a 1/2hr Ham radio demo at this months pack meeting. I was a
            > Cub/Scout/Leader in my younger days, but haven't been involved in
            > scouting for the past 15 yrs and I'm out of touch. I checked with
            > the ARRL and found out that they have absolutely nothing available
            > for the younger kids(Cubs,Webelos). Does anyone have any tips/ideas
            > on what to do for 1/2hr with 20 7-10year olds??? I was going to have
            > at least 1 HF radio, and 1 VHF radio set up. I Also will have a
            > laptop with soundcard software(psk31, SSTV, etc.) connected. Ohter
            > than that, I'm at a loss.
            > Thanks in advance.
            > Mark Wolf, W2MAW

            > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them subscibe

            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

            > ScoutRadio start page:

          • Richard A. Blank
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
              Mark,
              I see that you have gotten several good replies so far. I can not
              emphasize enough, that the highlight of the demo for the Cub Scouts will
              be to get them on them air. Even if it is a prearranged 2 meter
              contact. The Cubs will love it and those that are brave enough to say
              hello over the radio will be a great reward for you as their eyes light
              up. You might have them tell the other station their first name and
              what their rank in Cub Scouting is.

              73,
              Rick WB3BSA.

              Be sure to visit http://www.k3bsa.org

            • RStone1221@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                Print up 25-30 copies of a QSO handout that has on it:

                -the call sign, in big letters, you'll be using at that time
                -a line for them to fill in their name
                -a line for them to fill in their age
                -a line for them to fill in their location (city/county/country)
                -a line for them to fill in their cubscout pack # and their rank
                -a line for them to fill in a few of their hobbies

                This takes them a several minutes.
                It keeps them busy mentally and physically.
                More importantly, it gives them the confidence of knowing exactly what to say.
                I have seen the mike-shy kids decide to talk.

                ---------------
                Also, see if your local ham club has:

                -any of the ARRL ham comic books (I think they're Archie).
                -any of the ARRL scouting/ham folders

                ------------------
                Good Luck, 73, Yours in Scouting,
                Roz Stone, mom of KD5LUV- almost an Eagle scout
              • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                  I just learned today from the ARRL that the Archie comics are no
                  longer available. If anyone has them stockpiled, be advised that's
                  all you get.

                  73 and YIS de Fred
                  K2FRD

                  --
                  73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                  Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
                    Hello Everyone,
                    Thank you very much for all the responses. These are all really great ideas,
                    and I have so many now that I will have to be selective in choosing what to
                    do. I have to keep reminding myself that they are just young kids with short
                    attention spans and I MUST keep it to 1/2hr. You all know how HAMS are, I
                    could probably talk for hours on this.
                    The Pack Meeting is September 25th at 7:00pm Eastern which gives me less
                    than two weeks to organize, etc. I wonder if there are any Packs that will
                    be a meeting the same evening and maybe set up a schedule on 20m?
                    Please keep the ideas coming, as I am compiling a big list and hope to come
                    up with some different programs that can be given to the ARRL.
                    Thanks Again,
                    73
                    Mark Wolf, W2MAW
                    Silver Creek, NY
                  • James Olson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002

                      Suggestion:  Incorporate the Communicator Belt loop into the program as an achievement.  Here is how we did that at Day Camp this year:

                      Talk to the Scouts about different types of communication (verbal, non-verbal, sign language, singing etc) and have them demonstrate this in front of the group.  Then break up the group into 3 different groups.  Set up 3 different workstations:  1) Write a postcard, 2) Learn about morse code, use a code practice oscillator to send your name, and learn how to say your name in the phonetic alphabet, 3) Operate an hf station with the kids getting a chance to introduce themselves on the air.

                      We rotated the kids through our 3 workstations over the course of 90 minutes.  The kids had a great time, and earned a belt loop in the process!

                      Check out some photos at

                      http://www.qsl.net/w4ych/k4s.htm

                      The hardest part of the activity is the postcard.  The Scouts loved the phonetic alphabet, the code practice keys, and talking on the air.

                      After it is all done you can make a plug for Jamboree-on-the-Air

                      http://www.home.zonnet.nl/worldscout/

                      http://www.bsa.scouting.org/international/jota.html

                      Maybe you can have your event on the Jota weekend?

                      Yours in Scouting,

                      James Olson, W4JO

                      Atlanta Area Council, Covered Bridge District

                      Pack 702 Cub Scouts

                      James Olson
                      Powder Springs, GA

                      sx88ht20@...
                      w4jo@...

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                    • Richard A. Blank
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
                        I think I remember this happening before and that they got money to get
                        them reprinted. So now the question is, will they be getting the Archie
                        Comics reprinted in the future?

                        73,
                        Rick WB3BSA

                        Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                        > I just learned today from the ARRL that the Archie comics are no
                        > longer available. If anyone has them stockpiled, be advised that's
                        > all you get.
                        >
                        > 73 and YIS de Fred
                        > K2FRD
                        >
                        > At 21:42 -0400 11/09/2002, RStone1221@... wrote:
                        > >
                        > >Also, see if your local ham club has:
                        > >
                        > >-any of the ARRL ham comic books (I think they're Archie).
                        >
                        > --
                        > 73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                        > Chenango Co. (NY) Assistant Emergency Coordinator
                        > Foothills District, Otschodela Council BSA Committees
                        > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group
                        > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
                        > K2FRD Personal Adventure page:
                        > http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
                        > Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
                        > Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
                        > (no cost, no spam):
                        > Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
                        > For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
                        > http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                        > Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
                        > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                        >
                        > ScoutRadio start page:

                      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
                          I asked the same question and the League told me that there were no
                          plans at this time for any future production.

                          73 de Fred
                          K2FRD

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
                            We remember 'Archie', but the present generation of
                            Cub Scouts has never heard of him. Maybe a comic
                            strip that is known to them would have more effect.
                            Don't know what that would be, can't see 'Spong Bob'
                            has a ham.

                            Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                            http://news.yahoo.com
                          • wa6lbu@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 13, 2002
                              If it were upto my wife it would be the Animaniacs

                              Clay

                              <<