Re: [Scoutradio] Re: Eagle scout project

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23 7:02 AM
      On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Tomsharp@... wrote:

      > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

      Ah bummer.
      Nevermind...
      My other idea is for linear trails (Old railroad beds turned into parks)
      is to have an Eagle get permissions to set up SIGNS explaining the
      importance of COMMs to railroads (telegraph) and then to have the signs
      promote FRS channel X for that trail...

      Then ON the sign, he also gets to put an AD about the local HAM club as
      the place to learn more...

      I call it "Telegraphs to Bikes"

      And what I WANTED to do was to get the Phone company that has milllions of
      2wire pairs along the trail to give us a breakout pair every mile that we
      could link together so that from one end of the trail to the other,
      MOM's could keep in touch with sonny....

      But this is against the rules for FRS, though in my mind, it can be done
      with no external radio interfaces by putting a WX proof FRS HT in a pipe
      and building a parabolic chicken wire enclosure that would make sure the
      FRS was only receivable along the linear trail. Then link them...

      I think it woiuld be in the spirit of FRS to provide an emergency
      COMM channel that would work along the length of the trial.
      But again, fo HAM radio, the advantage is that on the COMM signs
      educating the public about the history of telegraph along the railroads
      and the use of FRS for safety on the trial, you get to put your CLUB
      info..

      de WB4APR, Bob

      ----Tom WA9OXY > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA) >

      de WB4APR@..., Bob

      PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
      ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
      CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
      APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
      APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
      MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://www.toad.net/~wclement/bruninga/mic-lite.html
    • wb2boo
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23 11:16 AM
        --- In scoutradio@y..., "wb2boo" <k2gw@a...> wrote:
        > --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
        > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
        > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
        > Scout
        > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
        > details.
        > > Any ideas?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Jean, WB3IOS

        Aparently the Yahoo server interuption lost my reply. My idea was
        rasing funds and assembling a two meter station for a local Red Cross
        chapter or perhaps a similar project for a shelter radio kit.

        73

        Gary, K2GW