Re: [Scoutradio] HAM RADIO AT CAMP Pamphlet idea?

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
      On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 wa6lbu@... wrote:

      > I think we'd all like to know that.

      A local church camp. Nothing national...

      bob

      > In a message dated 7/12/02 10:59:54 AM Central Daylight Time, w2bsa@...
      > writes:
      >
      > <<
      > Bob, might I ask who the group was that banned the HT??
      >
      > 73,

      > ScoutRadio start page:

      de WB4APR@..., Bob

      PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
      ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
      CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
      APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
      APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
      MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://www.toad.net/~wclement/bruninga/mic-lite.html
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
        On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, kr1zan wrote:

        > events, how about a "Radio Chit" similar to the Tot 'n Chit or the
        > Fireman Chit?

        GREAT IDEA! I love it. Is it a "chit" or a chip?. I think the
        whittling chip is a "chip", but then that could be just a pun...

        A communicators coupon?

        Bob

        > Both Scouts and Scouters (adult leaders) must undergo
        > some type of limited, but documented, training and examination in
        > order to earn their "Radio Chit." Your pamphlet, along with the FRS
        > guidelines, is a start.

        > Similar to the Tot 'n Chit, if a Scout (or Scouter) is found misusing
        > radio privileges, a Scout leader (youth or adult) would admonish the
        > offender, request the Radio Chit and tear off a corner. If four
        > corners (or whatever) are torn off, then the offender must secure or
        > turn in for securing the radio equipment. Only when the offender has
        > gone through refresher training and receives a new Radio Chit can the
        > Scout or Scouter once again use radios in camp. Or, if the
        > Scout/Scouter doesn't have a Radio Chit -- simple, no more radio
        > under Radio Chit earned.
        >
        > Yes, I know there's always the emergency, etc. The same thing holds
        > true for the Tot 'n Chit, etc.
        >
        > The pamphlet, Radio Chit and other such info papers should be
        > published at "no expense to the National BSA." They've got enough
        > costs the way it is. The Chit could be in PDF form on a National BSA
        > web site, as should the supporting training and exams.
        >
        > It is conceivable that a commercial sponsor, like Kenwood, Motorola,
        > American Association of Radio Enthusiasts, the ARRL, etc., might
        > provide funds for publication of heavy paper Radio Chits, or
        > underwrite manufacturing of Radio Chit patches, etc.
        >
        > I think the Radio Chit and/or use of radios in camp/scouting should
        > be mentioned in the Guide to Safe Scouting, perhaps in the Emergency
        > Preparedness section. The Radio Chit then becomes another item that
        > Scouts can "earn" and can be promoted through Roundtables, Scouting
        > magazine, Boy's Life, etc. An attractive patch that can be worn on
        > the uniform would also be another selling point.
        >
        > To readers other than Bob: If this discussion of the Radio Chit
        > concept doesn't belong in this newsgroup, please let me know and I'll
        > gladly communicate with Bob directly. I think he's done a terrific
        > job in kindling interest in practical, common sense, limited
        > volunteer syndrome, minimum investment ideas.
        >
        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
        > kr1zan@...
        > Garland, Texas
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
          On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Jon Pearl W4ABC wrote:

          > boy coming up through the ranks. A 'radio chit' would really add legitimacy
          > to operations in those areas where radio ops are presently frowned upon
          > largely due to ignorance.

          Ah, the clincher comment! Yes, I loved the CHIT idea but then thought it
          might appear draconian. But Jon's comment that the chit would only be
          reuqired at those locations "where radio ops are presently fronwned
          upon".. is the idea that makes it seamlessly slide into the mainstream.

          In other words, the CHIT is not reuqired where radios are currently
          permitted. But by having the communicators coupon as part of the concept,
          it allows a mechanism to get radio authorized where it currently is not...
          But in any case, I think our long term goal is to everntually make sure it
          IS REQUIRED.

          I have NEVER seen a kid use an FRS radio as anything other than a
          noisemaker unless he has first been instrcuted in its proper use. Our
          LONGTERM goal is to make sure the airwaves dont become a wasteland by
          having everyone be properly instructed...

          de WB4APR, Bob
        • Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
            It's CHIP with a "P" for Papa. A chit is a debt. Don't ask me Tot'n
            Chip's origins; it's been around for a looooooooong time.

            --
            73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
            Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
              Fred Stevens, K2FRD, wrote:

              > It's CHIP with a "P" for Papa. A chit is a debt. Don't ask me Tot'n
              > Chip's origins; it's been around for a looooooooong time.

              Why, shore, sonny: back when I was a young 'un, you didn't happen to have
              paper out in the woods. The Scoutmaster would just grab a chip of wood
              and sign off, once you showed him you knew which end of the hatchet to
              use. 'Course, back then, you first had to find a suitable hunk of flint,
              then make the hatchet ...

              Ahh, them was the days!

              - - Steve, KE1KF
            • Jon Blatman
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
                As a current Life Scout and a Tech-class ham I have seen many of the
                situations talked about recently on the list.

                I think that the Radio Chit is a GREAT idea, and the 30-60 minute class
                that is required for it would be able to be presented at my council camp
                along with the totin' chit as part of the "new scout" program

                I also agree that SOMETHING should be done to regulate and educate the
                scouts, and camp staff in paticular, that all radios are not created
                equal. if someone teaches the scouts that they are tools, no toys, our
                lives will be easier.

                I have been to several major scouting events recently, and the troops that
                have had FRS radios have scouts running around with tem, cursing at other
                troops, and generally being unscoutlike. We should do whatever we can to
                keep that from becoming everyones' impression of amateur radio.

                Jon Blatman
                N3VZG

                Life Scout without a troop, Chester County, PA

                http://autos.yahoo.com