Two Maine Scout Camps establish Sched

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2002
      Camp Director, Wm "Paul" Fisher-KB1IEI
      of Camp Bomazeen BSA (No Belgrade, ME) and
      Ray Sirois, N1RY, of Camp Hinds (Raymond ME)
      have established a weekly shedule on Wednesday
      evenings for their joint demonstrations of Ham Radio
      to scouts and staff at those respective camps.

      For a several years, scouts have seen HF and VHF
      demonstrated at Camp Hinds by N1RY, N1KAT,
      KB1RFD, and others. The courses they teach have
      netted many Radio Merit Badges, and about 20 new
      hams within scouting circles.

      Camp Hinds is usually hunting and pecking all
      over 20 meters on HF Wednesdays from 7 to 8:30pm.
      Intermixed with that operation is some linking up on
      2 meters with Camp Bomazeen on the 146.88
      repeater.

      Each week, in addition to a demo where the scouts
      get to work 2m and 20m, the following is
      usually covered:
      1. How Amateur Radio contrasts with
      FRS, CB Radio and the Internet.
      2. The purpose of the
      Amateur Radio Service.
      3. Ham Radio Pizza. Inside this pizza box, is
      illustrated all the many pieces / facets of Ham Radio.
      DX, Emerg Mgmt, Digital Modes, Contesting, Modes,
      Public Svc, Kit and Antenna building, Satellites,
      etc.
      4. How to get a Ham License or Radio merit badge.
    • kr1zan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2002
        Ray,

        I like the pizza idea. Any chance of posting source files or photos
        of what you've done?

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, Texas