Operation On Target is next Sat., 7/20/2002.

  • n7tek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2002
      Hello fellow Scouters and Amateur Radio Operators of the Scoutradio group!

      I just wanted to inform you that next Saturday (7/20/2002) is the annual
      Varsity/Venturing "Operation On Target" event where the older Scouts signal
      with mirrors from peaks (or other high points) around the west and they use
      HAMs or cell phones to confirm contacts with other teams. The event starts
      about 11:00 A.M. and ends about 1:00 P.M. (local time for each area). It's
      a short event but we try to get them off the peaks before thunderstorms have
      a chance to develop due to the summer heating. I don't know how many of you
      are in the western U.S. but I thought some of you would want to listen in or
      perhaps even participate informally by mirror-signaling if you are near some
      of the 64 teams that have signed up so far - see the following URL for a
      list of registered teams sorted by the peak name:

      http://www.xmission.com/~uarc/ontarget/peak.php

      I've appended the simplex frequencies that will be used for this event near
      the bottom of this message. We will also be using the "Intermountain
      Intertie" (a.k.a. "Snowlink") linked repeater system in Idaho, Montana,
      Utah, and western Wyoming to take team checkins and to coordinate
      communications between states (see also the URL given near the bottom of
      this message). Unfortunately the repeater link into Arizona and Las Vegas
      Nevada is down right now. I'm not sure what repeaters or frequencies they
      will be using in southern California and Colorado - they haven't let me know
      yet.

      Most of the peaks have the latitude and longitude coordinates recorded in
      the database so if you click on the peak name it will take you to 3
      different maps showing where that peak is located and the other nearby
      teams. NOTE - there is a known bug that one of our web guru's (Tom NY4I) is
      working on resolving that causes the label to show "Francis Peak" instead of
      the correct peak name in some cases. The location is correct but the name
      is wrong. Also if a blank map comes up it's because the team didn't enter
      the latitude and longitude coordinates for their peak (probably because they
      didn't know them).

      We don't have any participants from Arizona this year because the forests
      down there have been shut down because of the fires. Right now we only have
      teams signed up in California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Utah but I
      believe we will also have teams sign up in Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and
      Wyoming in the next few days.

      We would like to see this event move into other states but teams would have
      to use buildings, roof tops, or other high structures (perhaps even repeater
      sites - the trustee could give them a tour?) if there are no mountains or
      hills available in that state or area. It's a FUN activity that can be
      tailored to meet the groups needs or tied into other merit badges and it can
      be used to teach young men (& yes young women) about (emergency) signaling
      with mirrors and Amateur Radio. Yes it is aimed at older Scouts because of
      the fitness ability to climb a mountain but we obviously have no way to
      limit who can participate. It would be neat to see Scout units in other
      areas develop their own On Target participants and program!

      One area that we always need help with every year is Amateur Radio
      communications. We always need HAMs to volunteer to go with teams but we
      also need HAMs to help plan and coordinate communications (and of course
      promote On Target) in their state and between states months before the event
      even occurs. We would like to see HF and/or APRS used to help coordinate
      contacts and information between states but up until now we haven't had
      enough communication resources (or volunteers) in each area to pull this
      off. I know we can't do anything for this year but perhaps some of you
      would be interested in helping out for next year?

      In reading the recent thread about HAM Shacks for Scout Camps I suggest that
      HAMs could hold a mini On Target at their Scout camps by teaching the youth
      to make small signal mirrors (see
      http://www.ontargetbsa.org/make_mirror.htm ) and then spreading them around
      the camp with their mirrors, HAM operators, or FRS radios and having a
      friendly informal competition. Besides teaching them about making signal
      mirrors you could also teach them about proper radio procedures (like what
      Bob has been working on). The Great Salt Lake Council does a mini On Target
      every year at the "Varsity Big Event" Scout Camp where they locate the
      Amateur Radio booth next to the On Target booth and do what I described
      above. It works well and gives the young men another activity to see
      Amateur Radio in action.

      You might be asking where do we get all the mirrors for signaling? Well
      it's been my experience that glass companies are usually willing to cut up
      their mirror scraps into 3"x5" pieces and donate them to the Scouts for
      making signal mirrors. You just have to contact them several weeks or a few
      months in advance so they can save up and cut up their scrap.

      Anyway keep the great ideas coming on HAM Shacks for Scout Camps! We need
      to get permanent amateur radio equipment installed at the camps in the Great
      Salt Lake Council.

      73 de N7TEK
      John Blackham, N7TEK
      HOME: 384 North 75 East, North Salt Lake, UT, USA 84054-2320
      PHONE: (H) 801-295-3036 E-MAIL: n7tek@...
      On Target website: http://www.ontargetbsa.org