Re: [Scoutradio] Re: HAM RADIO AT CAMP Pamphlet idea?

  • Jon Pearl W4ABC
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 12, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "kr1zan" <kr1zan@...>
      To: <scoutradio@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 11:13 PM
      Subject: [Scoutradio] Re: HAM RADIO AT CAMP Pamphlet idea?

      (SNIP)

      As to your comments below Frank - I don't think anyone here would argue that
      you should take these ideas anywhere else. The fine tuning of a product
      like this takes input from many and it's great to think that we're all a
      little part of something that may well become a 'tangible' reality for every
      boy coming up through the ranks. A 'radio chit' would really add legitimacy
      to operations in those areas where radio ops are presently frowned upon
      largely due to ignorance.

      Now if we could just convince the FCC to perforate the four corners of our
      Ham tickets we might not have to up with so many fools...

      Bravo fellas... great ideas all!

      Jon Pearl W4ABC
      West Central Florida Section OOC
      Trustee WA4BSA

      > > To readers other than Bob: If this discussion of the Radio Chit
      > concept doesn't belong in this newsgroup, please let me know and I'll
      > gladly communicate with Bob directly. I think he's done a terrific
      > job in kindling interest in practical, common sense, limited
      > volunteer syndrome, minimum investment ideas.
      >
      > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
      > kr1zan@...
      > Garland, Texas
    • kr1zan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 13, 2002
        Jon,

        Thanks for your comments.

        To expand on the "chit" idea: What if it's called a "Communicator
        Chit" with boxes (or something) for endorsements for various
        skills/knowledge, such as rural telephones, cell phones, Ham Radio,
        CB, FRS, Morse Code using Flashing Light/Wig Wag, semaphore, etc.

        A significant amount of "signaling" has been dropped from the BSA
        handbooks over the past couple of decades and emergency preparedness
        may be at the point of suffering.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, Texas

        > As to your comments below Frank - I don't think anyone here would
        argue that
        > you should take these ideas anywhere else. The fine tuning of a
        product
        > like this takes input from many and it's great to think that we're
        all a
        > little part of something that may well become a 'tangible' reality
        for every
        > boy coming up through the ranks. A 'radio chit' would really add
        legitimacy
        > to operations in those areas where radio ops are presently frowned
        upon
        > largely due to ignorance.
        >
        > Now if we could just convince the FCC to perforate the four corners
        of our
        > Ham tickets we might not have to up with so many fools...
        >

        > Bravo fellas... great ideas all!
        >
        > Jon Pearl W4ABC
        > West Central Florida Section OOC
        > Trustee WA4BSA
        >
        > > > To readers other than Bob: If this discussion of the Radio Chit
        > > concept doesn't belong in this newsgroup, please let me know and
        I'll
        > > gladly communicate with Bob directly. I think he's done a
        terrific
        > > job in kindling interest in practical, common sense, limited
        > > volunteer syndrome, minimum investment ideas.
        > >
        > > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
        > > kr1zan@a...
        > > Garland, Texas
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
          On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 wa6lbu@... wrote:

          > I think we'd all like to know that.

          A local church camp. Nothing national...

          bob

          > In a message dated 7/12/02 10:59:54 AM Central Daylight Time, w2bsa@...
          > writes:
          >
          > <<
          > Bob, might I ask who the group was that banned the HT??
          >
          > 73,

          > ScoutRadio start page:

          de WB4APR@..., Bob

          PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
          ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
          CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
          APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
          APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
          MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://www.toad.net/~wclement/bruninga/mic-lite.html
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
            On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, kr1zan wrote:

            > events, how about a "Radio Chit" similar to the Tot 'n Chit or the
            > Fireman Chit?

            GREAT IDEA! I love it. Is it a "chit" or a chip?. I think the
            whittling chip is a "chip", but then that could be just a pun...

            A communicators coupon?

            Bob

            > Both Scouts and Scouters (adult leaders) must undergo
            > some type of limited, but documented, training and examination in
            > order to earn their "Radio Chit." Your pamphlet, along with the FRS
            > guidelines, is a start.

            > Similar to the Tot 'n Chit, if a Scout (or Scouter) is found misusing
            > radio privileges, a Scout leader (youth or adult) would admonish the
            > offender, request the Radio Chit and tear off a corner. If four
            > corners (or whatever) are torn off, then the offender must secure or
            > turn in for securing the radio equipment. Only when the offender has
            > gone through refresher training and receives a new Radio Chit can the
            > Scout or Scouter once again use radios in camp. Or, if the
            > Scout/Scouter doesn't have a Radio Chit -- simple, no more radio
            > under Radio Chit earned.
            >
            > Yes, I know there's always the emergency, etc. The same thing holds
            > true for the Tot 'n Chit, etc.
            >
            > The pamphlet, Radio Chit and other such info papers should be
            > published at "no expense to the National BSA." They've got enough
            > costs the way it is. The Chit could be in PDF form on a National BSA
            > web site, as should the supporting training and exams.
            >
            > It is conceivable that a commercial sponsor, like Kenwood, Motorola,
            > American Association of Radio Enthusiasts, the ARRL, etc., might
            > provide funds for publication of heavy paper Radio Chits, or
            > underwrite manufacturing of Radio Chit patches, etc.
            >
            > I think the Radio Chit and/or use of radios in camp/scouting should
            > be mentioned in the Guide to Safe Scouting, perhaps in the Emergency
            > Preparedness section. The Radio Chit then becomes another item that
            > Scouts can "earn" and can be promoted through Roundtables, Scouting
            > magazine, Boy's Life, etc. An attractive patch that can be worn on
            > the uniform would also be another selling point.
            >
            > To readers other than Bob: If this discussion of the Radio Chit
            > concept doesn't belong in this newsgroup, please let me know and I'll
            > gladly communicate with Bob directly. I think he's done a terrific
            > job in kindling interest in practical, common sense, limited
            > volunteer syndrome, minimum investment ideas.
            >
            > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
            > kr1zan@...
            > Garland, Texas
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
              On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Jon Pearl W4ABC wrote:

              > boy coming up through the ranks. A 'radio chit' would really add legitimacy
              > to operations in those areas where radio ops are presently frowned upon
              > largely due to ignorance.

              Ah, the clincher comment! Yes, I loved the CHIT idea but then thought it
              might appear draconian. But Jon's comment that the chit would only be
              reuqired at those locations "where radio ops are presently fronwned
              upon".. is the idea that makes it seamlessly slide into the mainstream.

              In other words, the CHIT is not reuqired where radios are currently
              permitted. But by having the communicators coupon as part of the concept,
              it allows a mechanism to get radio authorized where it currently is not...
              But in any case, I think our long term goal is to everntually make sure it
              IS REQUIRED.

              I have NEVER seen a kid use an FRS radio as anything other than a
              noisemaker unless he has first been instrcuted in its proper use. Our
              LONGTERM goal is to make sure the airwaves dont become a wasteland by
              having everyone be properly instructed...

              de WB4APR, Bob
            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
                It's CHIP with a "P" for Papa. A chit is a debt. Don't ask me Tot'n
                Chip's origins; it's been around for a looooooooong time.

                --
                73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
                  Fred Stevens, K2FRD, wrote:

                  > It's CHIP with a "P" for Papa. A chit is a debt. Don't ask me Tot'n
                  > Chip's origins; it's been around for a looooooooong time.

                  Why, shore, sonny: back when I was a young 'un, you didn't happen to have
                  paper out in the woods. The Scoutmaster would just grab a chip of wood
                  and sign off, once you showed him you knew which end of the hatchet to
                  use. 'Course, back then, you first had to find a suitable hunk of flint,
                  then make the hatchet ...

                  Ahh, them was the days!

                  - - Steve, KE1KF
                • Jon Blatman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 15, 2002
                    As a current Life Scout and a Tech-class ham I have seen many of the
                    situations talked about recently on the list.

                    I think that the Radio Chit is a GREAT idea, and the 30-60 minute class
                    that is required for it would be able to be presented at my council camp
                    along with the totin' chit as part of the "new scout" program

                    I also agree that SOMETHING should be done to regulate and educate the
                    scouts, and camp staff in paticular, that all radios are not created
                    equal. if someone teaches the scouts that they are tools, no toys, our
                    lives will be easier.

                    I have been to several major scouting events recently, and the troops that
                    have had FRS radios have scouts running around with tem, cursing at other
                    troops, and generally being unscoutlike. We should do whatever we can to
                    keep that from becoming everyones' impression of amateur radio.

                    Jon Blatman
                    N3VZG

                    Life Scout without a troop, Chester County, PA

                    http://autos.yahoo.com